British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Ramadan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/ramadan-912791/)

nonthaburi May 27th 2018 2:53 pm

Re: Ramadan

New schedule 11-2:15. Four more days and then I'm done.

scrubbedexpat141 May 28th 2018 4:46 am

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 12506015)
New schedule 11-2:15. Four more days and then I'm done.

You're taking the piss?

I've got to try and sneak out at 3 tomorrow for golf.

TheShed May 28th 2018 5:07 am

So how many hours are people actually doing.

Last week I was managing to stay busy from 8 to about 3:30-4 but yesterday was a disaster and I gave up trying to get stuff done by 2pm.

scrubbedexpat141 May 28th 2018 5:26 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 12506330)
So how many hours are people actually doing.

Last week I was managing to stay busy from 8 to about 3:30-4 but yesterday was a disaster and I gave up trying to get stuff done by 2pm.

I'm turning up as usual (about half 8) and leaving at about 4.

Got enough work on I could stay much, much later but **** that.

Pongo May 28th 2018 6:09 am

No fixed times but expected to be in work for 4-5 hours.

nonthaburi May 28th 2018 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12506324)
You're taking the piss?

I've got to try and sneak out at 3 tomorrow for golf.

absolutely not. We were working 11-3:30, but as it's the last working week the hours have shortened. 3 weeks holiday starts 2:15 on Thursday.

working for the military, we only work 7-12 at the best of times.

scrubbedexpat141 May 28th 2018 6:32 am

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 12506355)
absolutely not. We were working 11-3:30, but as it's the last working week the hours have shortened. 3 weeks holiday starts 2:15 on Thursday.

working for the military, we only work 7-12 at the best of times.

Easy street. Great work. :thumbup::thumbup:

nonthaburi May 28th 2018 6:46 am

Nobody comes to Sowdi for the hard work.

Brains1983 May 29th 2018 3:20 pm

Ramadan has been OK so far for me. get in 15mins later than normal as I do the school run and they are on funny hours. supposed to be finished 3pm, but it's normally between 4 and 5 which doesn't bother me much. got out at 1 today to get some stitches out and didnt bother going back. an hour or two of emails from the phone on the sofa and then done.

Irishbeekeeper May 29th 2018 4:22 pm

Proud to say that I broke the 80KG barrier today
Down to 79.5 in my birthday suit (pictures can be provided upon request ofcourse!)
20 more days to go? or something like that? I make it a point not to count

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 11th 2018 4:36 am

Would appear that they are determined Eid will be on Thursday night so we'll get no extra days holibobs I expect. :thumbdown:

hnd Jun 11th 2018 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12513788)
Would appear that they are determined Eid will be on Thursday night so we'll get no extra days holibobs I expect. :thumbdown:

Do you reckon that Friday will be ‘dry’ then? I know it has been in previous years but can’t find any announcements thus far for this year.

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 11th 2018 5:47 am

Originally Posted by hnd (Post 12513809)

Do you reckon that Friday will be ‘dry’ then? I know it has been in previous years but can’t find any announcements thus far for this year.

I went hunting for this. I think it's the other Eid that's dry and this one is fine. I think (?)

Miss Ann Thrope Jun 11th 2018 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 12507218)
Proud to say that I broke the 80KG barrier today
Down to 79.5 in my birthday suit (pictures can be provided upon request ofcourse!)
20 more days to go? or something like that? I make it a point not to count

Pictures please!! ;)

Miss Ann Thrope Jun 11th 2018 6:20 am

Our local mosque has been surprisingly quiet this year. Normally the already bombastic volume gets turned up a notch especially for the prayers (rather than the calls). Most gratifying of all they do not seem to be broadcasting the hajjut prayer during Leilat al Qadr* (the last ten nights of Ramadan). In previous years this has involved ridiculously loud and hysterical shrieking for periods intermittently between 2:00am and 4:00am. This year nothing! Though of course the Fajr adhan is early, not much after 4:00 am at this point. I know that our mosque has had some issues with the authorities, who replaced an imam against the wishes of the congregation a few years ago. The congregation seems to be mainly fairly wealthy Indians and Pakistanis, none of whom live in the immediate vicinity and thus have not had to endure previous years' midnight banshee bawling.

*Muslim primer: on one of those nights, but nobody knows which one, the prophet had a tour of heaven ascending there from the - now domed - rock in Jerusalem, hence its holiness to Muslims. Apparently you get ten times the credit for prayers offered on that night and the gates of hell are closed. But craftily, since the actual night is unknown, they can pack (well add a few extra in to) the mosques for ten whole nights to be sure to hit the right one. I think that's broadly it but those of the faith may wish to clarify, bearing in mind the usual regional and sectional variations...