British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   RAMADAN (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/ramadan-800660/)

silversilver Jun 19th 2013 6:22 pm

RAMADAN

I'm going home at the beginning of July but will be back before the end of Ramadan. Just wondered, with regards to dining out - do brunches and afternoon teas stop during Ramadan? I have a friend contemplating coming back with me for a short holiday but I'm wondering if it's worthwhile if there isn't very much to do.

Kix Jun 19th 2013 6:28 pm

Re: RAMADAN

Originally Posted by silversilver (Post 10765095)
I'm going home at the beginning of July but will be back before the end of Ramadan. Just wondered, with regards to dining out - do brunches and afternoon teas stop during Ramadan? I have a friend contemplating coming back with me for a short holiday but I'm wondering if it's worthwhile if there isn't very much to do.

(I'm guessing this is Dubai, Qatar, for example, is totally dry in Ramadan)

Brunches do definitely stop, as for afternoon tea, you can usually find some places (hotels) that do some sort of food all day, whether you can get an afternoon tea with scones and cucumber sandwiches (with the crusts cut off), I don't know.

Most places open at 6.30 or so, but as Ramadan is in mid summer it may be later this year.

Who knows apart from some neanderthal in the desert looking for a moon - who could well be from sunderland... ;-)

kittycat1 Jun 19th 2013 6:55 pm

but on the bright side you could take them to iftar :)

personally I would never travel to a middle eastern country during ramadan through choice! if they can come later, come later.

silversilver Jun 19th 2013 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10765103)
(I'm guessing this is Dubai, Qatar, for example, is totally dry in Ramadan)

Brunches do definitely stop, as for afternoon tea, you can usually find some places (hotels) that do some sort of food all day, whether you can get an afternoon tea with scones and cucumber sandwiches (with the crusts cut off), I don't know.

Most places open at 6.30 or so, but as Ramadan is in mid summer it may be later this year.

Who knows apart from some neanderthal in the desert looking for a moon - who could well be from sunderland... ;-)

Yup, Dubai Kix - and thanks :-)

silversilver Jun 19th 2013 6:57 pm

I know that Iftar is when the fast is broken Kc but what happens then? Are there special things on? This is my first year in Dubai so still getting familiarised with everything!

NorthernLad Jun 19th 2013 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by silversilver (Post 10765161)
I know that Iftar is when the fast is broken Kc but what happens then? Are there special things on? This is my first year in Dubai so still getting familiarised with everything!

Iftar is shit unless you like Arabic food (I don't). Everywhere open as normal from 7pm but no live music.

Kix Jun 19th 2013 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by silversilver (Post 10765161)

Yeah, everyone goes and get's pissed to make up for lost time.

Allegedly...

Autonomy Jun 20th 2013 5:12 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 10765235)
Iftar is shit unless you like Arabic food (I don't). Everywhere open as normal from 7pm but no live music.

I suspect it might be 8pm this year by the way...

busybee2 Jun 20th 2013 7:35 am

Originally Posted by silversilver (Post 10765095)

certain places carry on behind curtains if they can get the licence.

mentalist Jun 20th 2013 8:04 am

Last Ramadan, the Millenium Airport Hotel had a great Friday brunch running from 12.30-4.30pm with an amazing selection of food but no alcohol.

Ethos83 Jun 20th 2013 9:04 am

Only you would consider a brunch without booze.

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10766024)
Last Ramadan, the Millenium Airport Hotel had a great Friday brunch running from 12.30-4.30pm with an amazing selection of food but no alcohol.

Blue Cat Jun 20th 2013 9:23 am

http://www.therealgeordiearmani.com/...uring-ramadan/

I wrote this list last year and am currently working my way through it chasing up and checking who is open for all day dining this year. The list is more independent places as every hotel has to have an outlet open by Law to cater to the tourists.

the_red_sheep Jun 20th 2013 9:30 am

Can you buy alcohol, on arrival, from Duty Free at the airport during Ramadan?

Blue Cat Jun 20th 2013 9:31 am

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep (Post 10766173)
Can you buy alcohol, on arrival, from Duty Free at the airport during Ramadan?

yes you can in Dubai but I don't think you can in AD

mentalist Jun 20th 2013 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 10766099)
Only you would consider a brunch without booze.

I personally don't see the point in getting drunk in public over here. Rather consume alcohol at home, less risky.:)