British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Radio 1 and 2 shut down, entire workforce sacked! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/radio-1-2-shut-down-entire-workforce-sacked-879687/)

IKnowNothing Jun 30th 2016 9:49 am

Radio 1 and 2 shut down, entire workforce sacked!

Wow, i never expected that.

EXCLUSIVE: UAE's Radio 1 and Radio 2 close, entire workforce laid off - source - Gulf Business

United Arab Emirates radio stations Radio 1 and Radio 2 have laid off their entire staff after Abu Dhabi Media withdrew the frequency licences, sources close to the broadcaster have claimed.

Staff at Gulf News Broadcasting have been pulled into meetings today to be informed of the news that both stations will be closed, after frequency owner ADM reportedly withdrew the licences three months before the renewal date.

GNB issued the following statement today: “Gulf News Broadcasting LLC is today announcing that with immediate effect it will no longer be managing the Radio One & Radio Two stations.

“This is as a result of unforeseen circumstances, which are beyond the control of Gulf News Broadcasting LLC.

“Gulf News Broadcasting LLC would like to thank all its employees, advertising partners and supporters for their contribution, effort and commitment for the successful management of Radio One & Radio Two stations over the last 10 years.

“No further comment will be made.”

Listeners complained last week that the stations were off-air, with some claiming an Abu Dhabi classical music station was playing instead after a music loop was implemented to fill the void of DJ talks and advertising.

The job losses follow a wave of redundancies at GN Media earlier this year, when 50 people were let go from GNB and its newspaper Gulf News.

iggle Jun 30th 2016 9:59 am

Re: Radio 1 and 2 shut down, entire workforce sacked!

Made redundant, they weren't sacked. I knew something was up, the radio has just been weird at late

mission Jun 30th 2016 10:00 am

wow...I been wondering what the heck has happened....been listening to Radio 1 ever since I got here, almost 9 years ago...it's was on in the background all day long in the office.

IKnowNothing Jun 30th 2016 10:02 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 11989862)
wow...I been wondering what the heck has happened....been listening to Radio ever since I got here, almost 9 years ago...it's was on in the background all day long in the office.

What can you hear now?

It's not on-line

Millhouse Jun 30th 2016 10:03 am

Well, I'm sure I'm about to be told I'm a pleb for listening to Radio 1 and not 92, but I really liked their morning show.

RIP Danny C & Surina.

(and Sheena, who I must say I do fancy)

iggle Jun 30th 2016 10:07 am

So why did they get rid of Daisy, about 2/3 weeks before getting rid of the whole station?

mission Jun 30th 2016 10:08 am

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 11989865)
What can you hear now?

It's not on-line

we have the radio switched over to Dubai92 :blink:

Millhouse Jun 30th 2016 11:22 am

Silver lining is that guy who play siri on the radio and thought it was funny will no longer be bothering me.

iggle Jun 30th 2016 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11989935)
Silver lining is that guy who play siri on the radio and thought it was funny will no longer be bothering me.

We are like brothers Milly...I turned it down as well

IKnowNothing Jun 30th 2016 12:04 pm

Oh Gawd, can i really handle that sheffield twat and his ****ing kevin the cockroach?

Fossildog Jun 30th 2016 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 11989976)
Oh Gawd, can i really handle that sheffield twat and his ****ing kevin the cockroach?

and his sidekick with her casual, but constant, misandry

Haggis Jul 1st 2016 2:46 pm

Shame as Radio 2 played more music with less ads and was one of my staples 3 on daily drive down to AD village - big loss. As D92 and BB have way too many ads and repeats of previous day interviews. Also R2 had AD channel so clear reception in AD. Someone please open up another decent station...

iggle Jul 2nd 2016 3:54 am

So what happens to all the staff? Legit question? And lets say they owe the company money for rent/cars? Are they *****ed? It's not like other professions where you can just move to another company, as there aren't alot of radio stations around UAE

co durham boy Jul 3rd 2016 4:36 am

Originally Posted by iggle (Post 11991509)
So what happens to all the staff? Legit question? And lets say they owe the company money for rent/cars? Are they *****ed? It's not like other professions where you can just move to another company, as there aren't alot of radio stations around UAE

They'll go home like us all eventually.

IKnowNothing Jul 3rd 2016 5:30 am

Originally Posted by iggle (Post 11991509)

Well Acalia is currently in Spain (according to her twitter feed), Kenny has something else planned, Daisy is back in the UK after taking some time out in Umbria, dunno about anyone else, but they must have seen it coming.