Racism

Old Sep 5th 2010, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racism

Originally Posted by Romulan
I am a black person of East ...culture, and if people continue to have this mindset it will only cause problems.
Where have you seen people say the call to prayer is too loud?
Or that you can't drink in Ramadan (actually, you can)?
Old Sep 5th 2010, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

expat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seven seas

he was probably paraphrasing..
Old Sep 5th 2010, 4:45 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

so to recap - it appears that we have ascertained that some, but not all, British Expats behave like spoiled idiots and that some Arabic speaking people are racists while others (probably most others) are not, some people of African descent have experienced racism in the UAE and others have not.

So where does that leave us? Same as before - stereotypes and generalisations are not really the answer...
Old Sep 5th 2010, 5:55 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seven seas

er here and now, the tone deaf barsteward on st15 must have noticed a decline in 4am attendees of late as the last couple of mornings he's cranked the bloody volume right up again.
wouldnt mind if he had a good voice but the random shouts, coughs and splutters are just annoying
Old Sep 5th 2010, 5:58 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
wouldnt mind if he had a good voice but the random shouts, coughs and splutters are just annoying
sorry... that was just me on the way home....
Old Sep 5th 2010, 6:05 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
sorry... that was just me on the way home....
loud bastard
Old Sep 5th 2010, 6:12 pm
Powered by cows

loud bastard
true... I live in Oud Metha....
Old Sep 5th 2010, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

tieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Autonomy
so to recap - it appears that we have ascertained that some, but not all, British Expats behave like spoiled idiots and that some Arabic speaking people are racists while others (probably most others) are not, some people of African descent have experienced racism in the UAE and others have not.

So where does that leave us? Same as before - stereotypes and generalisations are not really the answer...
It's pretty unexciting, but I think that's a fair summary.

As the OP, thank you Autonomy for your post calling for an end to the shouting after the pages of people hoping there would be a fight.

Also thank you Romulan for adding your perspective and sticking with the thread, despite you getting a lot of personal abuse.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

expat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond repute

er here and now, the tone deaf barsteward on st15 must have noticed a decline in 4am attendees of late as the last couple of mornings he's cranked the bloody volume right up again.

i can feel the angst in your post
Old Sep 6th 2010, 5:09 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Romulan
I am a black person of East African ancestry. I speak proficient (not fluent) Arabic and I have lived in the middle east for a great portion of my life (not anymore). I have lived both among the expats and the local Arabs. I have never been the victim of any racism, nor have I seen any racism demonstrated by the local Arabs towards anyone else.
What has your race, ability to speak a language and duration of stay in the ME got to do with anything? Can a Bangladeshi enter the country, leave when he wishes, and return again freely? Do Western expats have their passports confiscated by their local employers? Are TCNs given the same, legally-mandated health care benefits as me? Are Emirati women allowed to marry foreigners?

With your ability to speak the language, your near-integration with the local populace and the length of time you've spent here, you still really can't see what goes on around you? Perhaps you're the racist...
Old Sep 6th 2010, 10:14 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Seconded. There's an overly loud tone-deaf one in the St 15 near us. As well as another a couple of streets away. Mr St 15 gets regular complaints from his neighbours, who happen to be locals, then a week or so later it gets louder again.

As people have watches these days and all sorts of electronic devices that can tell them when to pray, I really don't see why it has to be quite so loud. And that isn't a racist comment (before someone has a go at me) but a simple observation.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 10:31 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Seconded. There's an overly loud tone-deaf one in the St 15 near us. As well as another a couple of streets away. Mr St 15 gets regular complaints from his neighbours, who happen to be locals, then a week or so later it gets louder again.

As people have watches these days and all sorts of electronic devices that can tell them when to pray, I really don't see why it has to be quite so loud. And that isn't a racist comment (before someone has a go at me) but a simple observation.
Have to agree. I actually like the call to prayer when it's done well. It's all part of the local flavour. When it sounds like someone projectile vomiting into bin bag that has a cat trapped inside, it's...well annoying.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

banter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond repute

LOL you should try living where I live - the iman sounds like a goat on eid having its throat slit !!!

The call to prayer should not be so loud that it is annoying and unbearable, even we have noticed the difference in ramadan, to be honest it is a nightmare and too loud.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 10:51 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by banter64
LOL you should try living where I live - the iman sounds like a goat on eid having its throat slit !!!

The call to prayer should not be so loud that it is annoying and unbearable, even we have noticed the difference in ramadan, to be honest it is a nightmare and too loud.
Perhaps they should have X-factor style auditions before being given the job?

As for the chap reading out (by which I mean screeching) the Qu'ran each evening, for what seems like hours, I really want to give him some throat pastilles.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

banter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps they should have X-factor style auditions before being given the job?

As for the chap reading out (by which I mean screeching) the Qu'ran each evening, for what seems like hours, I really want to give him some throat pastilles.

ROFLMAO I so know what you mean and my MIL wanted me to go with her and sit in the Mosque for 3 hours listening to it, thank you but no thank you.

I think they will be on bed rest for 3 weeks after ramadan with a sore throat

take a look at this link a beautiful and surreal voice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knu-HYHA0wM

Last edited by banter64; Sep 6th 2010 at 10:57 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.