Racism

Old Sep 2nd 2010, 10:36 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Racism

Originally Posted by lionheart
She is constantly asked..."would you like to work for me? I will pay you more?". Doesn't bother me, but it gets on her tits.
Well for the right price....
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Romulan is just really niceRomulan is just really niceRomulan is just really niceRomulan is just really niceRomulan is just really niceRomulan is just really niceRomulan is just really niceRomulan is just really nice
Default Re: Racism

Originally Posted by lionheart
As a woman of colour (why your American spelling?), my wife has been called nigger by local Emirati youths on several occasions, been mistaken for a housemaid and harassed by Emiratis in white cars with tinted glass umpteen times. Our daughter has been insulted by Emiratis at school to such an extent that we had to move schools. Our African friends have been likewise abused and you should read the racist/fascist graffiti on the walls near our local shopping centre. Maybe Al Garhoud is a bad neighborhood? Unless you wear the national costume (which possibly acts as a protective shield because of the fear factor), I cannot believe that you have not encountered racism here in Dubai...MH you can go back to sleep now.
Isolated, anecdotal, stories of your wife allegedly being the victim of racist abuse by some Emirati doesn't mean the entire society is racist, like some posters on this forum seem to insist (and attack anyone who disagrees with this line). You know, I'm sure your wife (had she still been living in the UK) been called "nigger" by some racists there too. Does that give you the right to blanket accuse the entire country of being racist? And lastly, at least the UAE isn't a country with marauding groups of racists who protest in the street while attacking ethnic minorities. Where in the UAE is the BNP (who has been elected into government!!!!!) and the EDL?
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Romulan is just really niceRomulan is just really niceRomulan is just really niceRomulan is just really niceRomulan is just really niceRomulan is just really niceRomulan is just really niceRomulan is just really nice

Originally Posted by Spugsy
We did all make the decision to live here, and most of us, despite it's faults really like it here - but we're not so blinkered and stupid that we can't see teh faults that it has, just like every country.

Oh and who lives in a compound on here then? Apart from people in Saudi who I guess live there out of safety?
Boycott the UAE like apartheid South Africa since it's the land of racist arabs.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 5:58 pm
Arrrrrrgh!

Dubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Romulan
Isolated, anecdotal, stories of your wife allegedly being the victim of racist abuse by some Emirati doesn't mean the entire society is racist, like some posters on this forum seem to insist (and attack anyone who disagrees with this line). You know, I'm sure your wife (had she still been living in the UK) been called "nigger" by some racists there too. Does that give you the right to blanket accuse the entire country of being racist? And lastly, at least the UAE isn't a country with marauding groups of racists who protest in the street while attacking ethnic minorities. Where in the UAE is the BNP (who has been elected into government!!!!!) and the EDL?
Protests? - not allowed. Unless you count the labour camp riots which are quickly dealt with by amoured cars and water cannons - then not mentioned in the press.

Ethinic minorities? - well that would be the locals then...

Elected into Government? - doesn't really happen here...

Where's the BNP? BNP-Paribas is at Emaar Building 1, Burj Dubai Sq...

I can't usually be bothered to engage with people looking for a cyber spat on this forum - but I have had a couple of beers and you really are a tosser.

Good night!
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 6:23 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Ok. One of my takes on racism is that it is very much down to the individual, whether the one propagating the hatred or the one being the target of such racism. If you are called a nigger it doesn't mean that racism is endemic or that it doesn't exist. It does mean that it does exist and it does mean that the recipient has been subjected to hatred and that this should not be explained away, ignored or reasoned out of existence.

So, with this in mind, maybe it would help this debate if we learned a little bit more about your experiences, you have alluded to some, however it could be useful to know more about where you have lived, what language you speak - and yes, even what colour your skin is, why your are so adamant that racial hatred does not exist - at all - in the GCC contrary to many other point of views.

Rather than everyone shouting, I'm happy to listen, but please don't shout as you'll deafen me.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 6:34 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Ok. One of my takes on racism is that it is very much down to the individual, whether the one propagating the hatred or the one being the target of such racism. If you are called a nigger it doesn't mean that racism is endemic or that it doesn't exist. It does mean that it does exist and it does mean that the recipient has been subjected to hatred and that this should not be explained away, ignored or reasoned out of existence.

So, with this in mind, maybe it would help this debate if we learned a little bit more about your experiences, you have alluded to some, however it could be useful to know more about where you have lived, what language you speak - and yes, even what colour your skin is, why your are so adamant that racial hatred does not exist - at all - in the GCC contrary to many other point of views.

Rather than everyone shouting, I'm happy to listen, but please don't shout as you'll deafen me.
yeah.... so...

when's the next BE meet-up? Should be a fun-filled evening!
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 8:05 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Boycott the UAE like apartheid South Africa since it's the land of racist arabs.
...and of course, "modern" South Africa is the land of the free and productive? Perhaps you can explain how that works...?
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 8:22 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

But we never said 'there's no racism in the UK' - there is, we knwo this. Whereas you said there was no racism in Dubai, which is frankly ludicrous.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 8:46 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

I do hope Romulan/Unmoral comes back and offers his p.o.v.Also I hope he offers some info re his heritage etc.
Auto,Spugsy et autres are posing calm constructive challenges to his assertions.Would be interesting forensic exchanges.
All conducted so far in a gentlemanly manner.
Bring on the discourse.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 7:26 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Racism

Good example of racism in the UK from University of Bristol:

Linky: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cardservice...d-instructions

Makes puppy angry!
Old Sep 4th 2010, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think even the most arrogant , colonail bastard here (and there are quite a few) has ever said all arabs are racist.

It would be quite stupid to make such a sweeping generalisation. Get the hint?
Old Sep 4th 2010, 8:07 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

I blame the damnable fuzzy-wuzzy's myself..

Never did know what was bally well good for them, what???
Old Sep 5th 2010, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Autonomy

I am a black person of East African ancestry. I speak proficient (not fluent) Arabic and I have lived in the middle east for a great portion of my life (not anymore). I have lived both among the expats and the local Arabs. I have never been the victim of any racism, not have I seen any racism demonstrated by the local Arabs towards anyone else. I have seen many Asian people in the Middle East who've risen to prominent roles (in religious and secular roles) and the same could be said Africans. I think Arabs aren't racist, but they simply not too thrilled with folks who don't wish to assimilate into their culture. Many of the Asians and Western expats who move to the Middle East simply try to import their cultures with them, and are in a perpetual state of complaining about the local arab culture ("the call to prayer is too loud, we can't drink alcohol during Ramadan, ect!"). People on this forum need to get off their high horse, because I get the feeling the majority of you have this mindset that you come from a superior or more enlightened culture, and if people continue to have this mindset it will only cause problems.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

expat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond repute

So where do you live now (or which area of the world, if you prefer)?

I have been in and out of Dubai over the past few years, and it's only when coming back here after extended periods away that I am struck with how....unintegrated Dubai is.

That being said I am not completely surprised by what Romulan said as it's largely subcontinental Asians that bear the brunt of racism in the Middle East.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

alfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by expat.brat
So where do you live now (or which area of the world, if you prefer)?

I have been in and out of Dubai over the past few years, and it's only when coming back here after extended periods away that I am struck with how....unintegrated Dubai is.

That being said I am not completely surprised by what Romulan said as it's largely subcontinental Asians that bear the brunt of racism in the Middle East.
interesting....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.