Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

qustions I would like to ask..

qustions I would like to ask..

Old Jul 23rd 2008, 11:45 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: qustions I would like to ask..

Originally Posted by Sam FTQ
I have always wondered about space being infinite. How can something be infinite? It must end somewhere, surely. And if it does, what is beyond?
If you accept space as infinite then, by definition, there is nothing outside the universe (because the word universe mean everything). So your question is invalid.

For heavy reading go to:

http://www.thescienceforum.com/viewt...er=asc&start=0
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 11:50 am
Banned

Sam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
If you accept space as infinite then, by definition, there is nothing outside the universe (because the word universe mean everything). So your question is invalid.

For heavy reading go to:

http://www.thescienceforum.com/viewt...er=asc&start=0
That's my point: how can something be infinite? How can it just go on and on forever?
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 11:52 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

That's my point: how can something be infinite? How can it just go on and on forever?
becuase its infinite, a bit like forever
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 12:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

A more down-to-earth question might be...............

Why is it that, when four of you go out to a restaurant for a meal, and they put you on a table for six, a waiter immediately comes along and clears away the other two place settings?

It is my absolute major hate.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

It does and it doesn't is one of the current theories.

Scientists tend to use the word infinite as a substitute for a very long timespan. The universe itself is not considered infinite as such, it is currently expanding and at some point in the future it is thought it will start to contract back to the same instant just before the "big Bang", this is known as the "big Bounce". It is thought by some that this is a cycle, i.e. the universe has expanded and contracted before ad infinitum. Another related theory states that based on the relationship between energy and time (i.e. without energy you have no time) time ceases to exist when the universe is in it's contracted state just before a big bang.

Other theories talk about bubble universes that collide and form new ones, you can then throw string theory into the equation, or even M theory if you are so inclined.

It is all related to Quantum theory and is very interesting, the particle accellerator at CERN should give us some more insights. They are currently cooloing it down to 1.8 Kelvin to carry out some experiments of the early universe.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 1:15 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benzonar
It does and it doesn't is one of the current theories.

Scientists tend to use the word infinite as a substitute for a very long timespan. The universe itself is not considered infinite as such, it is currently expanding and at some point in the future it is thought it will start to contract back to the same instant just before the "big Bang", this is known as the "big Bounce". It is thought by some that this is a cycle, i.e. the universe has expanded and contracted before ad infinitum. Another related theory states that based on the relationship between energy and time (i.e. without energy you have no time) time ceases to exist when the universe is in it's contracted state just before a big bang.

Other theories talk about bubble universes that collide and form new ones, you can then throw string theory into the equation, or even M theory if you are so inclined.

It is all related to Quantum theory and is very interesting, the particle accellerator at CERN should give us some more insights. They are currently cooloing it down to 1.8 Kelvin to carry out some experiments of the early universe.
if infinite hurt her head then the universe expanding into nothing and singularities is probably going to make her head explode
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 1:19 pm
Banned

Sam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
if infinite hurt her head then the universe expanding into nothing and singularities is probably going to make her head explode
Yeah, this is the kind of thing that keeps me awake at night . You don't want to know what macro economics conundrums also keep me awake...
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 1:25 pm
**** it we'll do it live

Yeah, this is the kind of thing that keeps me awake at night . You don't want to know what macro economics conundrums also keep me awake...
i would have thought macro economic boredoms would send anyone to sleep

whatever you do dont look up Schrödinger's Cat
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissDemeanor
While we are back to the question threads..........

1..If man evolved from monkeys and apes, why do we still have monkeys and apes?
As someone stated before man didn't evolve from apes, we merely share a common ancestor. Current experiments on genetics have shown that gorillas and orangutans branched off from chimps and humans about 10 million years ago, whilst humans and chimps didn't branch off until about 7 million years ago. This means we are more closely related genetically to chimps, than chimps are to gorillas.

As to where all life evolved from, well the current favourite theory is that we all came from clay. That is that an early form of RNA attached itself to clay molecules and began to display very basic forms of adaptation. Once RNA itself began to evolve then the whole process of biological selction became possible.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 1:30 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

and don't look up MacScots kilt
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 1:34 pm
Banned

Too late. Dead and alive... blimey. If I ever [God forbid] find myself with a joint in my hand in a room full of other stoned people, I shall bring up the theory of Schrodinger's cat. Apologies for the missing umlaut.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 1:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

geez, try keeping awake to do a degree in macroeconomics, twas not easy...!!

MM, xx
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 1:42 pm
**** it we'll do it live

Too late. Dead and alive... blimey. If I ever [God forbid] find myself with a joint in my hand in a room full of other stoned people, I shall bring up the theory of Schrodinger's cat. Apologies for the missing umlaut.
yup this bit will mess with anyones head
"Quantum mechanics suggests that after a while the cat is simultaneously alive and dead, in a quantum superposition of coexisting alive and dead states."
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 1:46 pm
Banned

yup this bit will mess with anyones head
"Quantum mechanics suggests that after a while the cat is simultaneously alive and dead, in a quantum superposition of coexisting alive and dead states."
Hmmm. Not sure I agree. I am going to track down Dr Cioci, my school Physics master. He knew everything, he'll know. If he's still alive. Or dead. Or in a quantum superposition of coexisting alive and dead.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 1:47 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm. Not sure I agree. I am going to track down Dr Cioci, my school Physics master. He knew everything, he'll know. If he's still alive. Or dead. Or in a quantum superposition of coexisting alive and dead.
I've felt alive and dead a few times after a 24 hour drinking session.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.