British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Quotations Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/quotations-thread-720508/)

WakeUp Jun 11th 2011 9:49 am

Quotations Thread

The only thread I could find has been closed. Do you have any quotes to share? I'll start with this from Bill Hicks.........

The world is like a ride in an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. The ride goes up and down, around and around, it has thrills and chills, and it's very brightly colored, and it's very loud, and it's fun for a while. Many people have been on the ride a long time, and they begin to wonder, "Hey, is this real, or is this just a ride?" And other people have remembered, and they come back to us and say, "Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride." And we … kill those people. "Shut him up! I've got a lot invested in this ride, shut him up! Look at my furrows of worry, look at my big bank account, and my family. This has to be real." It's just a ride. But we always kill the good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok … But it doesn't matter, because it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money. Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one. Here's what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money we spend on weapons and defenses each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would pay for many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace.

Charismatic Jun 11th 2011 9:58 am

Re: Quotations Thread

This could be a long thread! :)

For the first time in four billion years a living creature had contemplated himself and heard with a sudden, an accountable loneliness, the whisper of the wind in the night reeds. Perhaps he knew, there in the grass by the still waters, that he had before him an immense journey. Perhaps that same foreboding still troubles the hearts of those who walk out of a crowded room and stare with relief in the abyss of space so long as there is a star to be seen twinkling across those miles of emptiness.
- Loren Eisley.

OleJanx Jun 11th 2011 10:55 am

"I have made an important discovery...that alcohol, taken in suffiecient quantities, produces all the effects of intoxification."

Oscar Wilde.

OleJanx Jun 11th 2011 10:59 am

"If only one could have two lives: the first in which to make one's mistakes, which seem as if they have to be made; and the second in which to profit by them."

D. H. Lawrence.

Autonomy Jun 11th 2011 12:39 pm

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson

"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before."
— Mae West

OleJanx Jun 11th 2011 1:02 pm

"there is much to be said for failure. It is more interesting than success."

Max Beerbohm.

"But after all, what would the English be without their sweet unreasonableness?"

John Galsworthy

kittycat1 Jun 11th 2011 2:20 pm

I am not young but I feel young. The day I feel old, I will go to bed and stay there. J'aime la vie! I feel that to live is a wonderful thing.
Coco Chanel

"I don't care what you think about me. I don't think about you at all."
— Coco Chanel

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got."
—Janis Joplin

Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice.
Wayne Dyer
xxx

OleJanx Jun 11th 2011 3:08 pm

"All charming people have something to conceal, usually their total dependence on the appreciation of others."

Cyril Connolly

MacScot Jun 11th 2011 6:58 pm

Some from o'er the border…

James M. Barrie: "I'm not young enough to know everything".

Alexander Graham Bell: "Mr. Watson, Come here, I want to see you".

Sir Walter Scott: "Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive".

Robert Burns: "Opera is where a guy gets stabbed in the back, and instead of dying, he sings".

Robert Burns: "The best laid schemes o' mice and men, gang aft a-gley".

James Watt: "A lie can run around the world before the truth can get it's boots on".

OleJanx Jun 11th 2011 9:14 pm

HOMO NEANDERTHALENSIS

"The inferior man's reasons for hating knowledge are not hard to discern. He hates it because it is complex-because it puts an unbearable burden upon his meagre capacity for taking in ideas. Thus his search is always for short cuts. Their aim is to make the unintelligable simple, and even obvious. So on what appear to be on higher levels. No man who has not had a a long and arduous education can understand even the most elementary concepts of modern pathology, but even a bind at the plough can grasp the theory of chiropactic in two lessons. Hence the vast popularity of chiropractic among the submerged-and of osteopathy,Christian Science and other such quackeries with it. They are idiotic, but they are simple-and every man prefers what he can understand to what puzzles and dismays him.
The popularity of fundamentalism among the inferior orders of men is explicable in exactly the same way. The cosmologies that educated men toy with are all inordinately complex. To comprehend their veriest outlines requires an immense stock of knowledge, and a habit of thought. It would be as vain to try to teach to such peasants or to the city proletariat as it would be to try to teach them to streptococci. But the cosmology of Genesis is so simple that even a yokel can grasp it. It is set forth in a few set phrases. It offers, to an ignorant man, the irresistable reasonableness of the nonsensical. So he accepts it with loud hosannas, and has one more excuse for hating his betters."

H. L. Mencken, 1925.

O.K. it's well dated, but a little tweaking here and there, you have the main background to Muslim Fundamentalists ( and possibly the thinking of "modern" Iran, if not Saudi Arabia, too.)

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 12th 2011 4:21 am

"You handle yours, I'll handle mine, Jack" - Richard Pryor.

I could use that nearly every day.

Patsy Stoned Jun 12th 2011 5:33 am

"I only drink to make other people seem interesting"

The Dean Jun 12th 2011 5:42 am

When asked for quotes, I always turn to the great Chinese philosophers......

"Seven-day honeymoon makes whole week"

"Lonely man with sex problem on mind ends up with solution on tummy"

"Man with hole in pocket feel cocky all day"

"Lady who doing handstand has crack up"

Autonomy Jun 12th 2011 6:02 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9426933)
When asked for quotes, I always turn to the great Chinese philosophers......

"Seven-day honeymoon makes whole week"

"Lonely man with sex problem on mind ends up with solution on tummy"

"Man with hole in pocket feel cocky all day"

"Lady who doing handstand has crack up"

"Man who cooks meat and peas in same pot is unclean"

WakeUp Jun 12th 2011 6:29 am

Walk on water? I know most people out there will be saying that instead of walking on it, I should have taken more of it with my drinks. They are absolutely right.

Brian Clough