British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   quickie on ME prayer times (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/quickie-me-prayer-times-794272/)

krado Apr 17th 2013 9:24 am

quickie on ME prayer times

A quick one if I may. Can somebody please explain the prayer to logic to me please. I note the times as printed in the arab news and also understand not to smoke, eat or generally put anything to my mouth whilst in a public place. but when does this start and finish around these times. the other day I was in Pizza Mut ( woof) and well before the assigned time they locked-up and stopped serving. so how long before the scheduled tome and how long after the scheduled time? I am sure it will all become obvious. :):) K

Quackers Apr 17th 2013 9:34 am

Re: quickie on ME prayer times

Originally Posted by krado (Post 10663782)
A quick one if I may. Can somebody please explain the prayer to logic to me please. I note the times as printed in the arab news and also understand not to smoke, eat or generally put anything to my mouth whilst in a public place. but when does this start and finish around these times. the other day I was in Pizza Mut ( woof) and well before the assigned time they locked-up and stopped serving. so how long before the scheduled tome and how long after the scheduled time? I am sure it will all become obvious. :):) K

I believe the times are 'prayer times' so they have to close before to allow people to get to the mosque

The 'Sunrise' CTP woke me up for the 1st month I was there :thumbdown:

I got trapped inside Carrefour waiting to pay for about an hour on the 'Mid-day' CTP :thumbdown:

Oh how I miss the place :p

krado Apr 17th 2013 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Quackers (Post 10663796)
I believe the times are 'prayer times' so they have to close before to allow people to get to the mosque

The 'Sunrise' CTP woke me up for the 1st month I was there :thumbdown:

I got trapped inside Carrefour waiting to pay for about an hour on the 'Mid-day' CTP :thumbdown:

Oh how I miss the place :p

Cheers Quackers. So it seems to be maybe 20/30 minuets on call to prayer. how long do prayers last and how long should I keep my mouth shut? i.e refrain form sticking anything in it. :confused:

northbadawi Apr 17th 2013 9:43 am

Originally Posted by krado (Post 10663782)
and also understand not to smoke, eat or generally put anything to my mouth whilst in a public place.

Really? Most shops/workshops and gas stations staff and visitors use those as eating-smoking breaks.
It lasts 30 minutes from the first call. Restaurants prefer to close 10-15 min in advance that they can serve you before the call and you can enjoy your meal.

Quackers Apr 17th 2013 9:44 am

They usually open up about 30 mins after prayer.

I bet your looking forward to Ramadan :lol:

krado Apr 17th 2013 9:52 am

Originally Posted by northbadawi (Post 10663809)
Really? Most shops/workshops and gas stations staff and visitors use those as eating-smoking breaks.
It lasts 30 minutes from the first call. Restaurants prefer to close 10-15 min in advance that they can serve you before the call and you can enjoy your meal.

Originally Posted by Quackers (Post 10663812)
They usually open up about 30 mins after prayer.

I bet your looking forward to Ramadan :lol:

thanks Guys. that's clear as mud. :eek: whats male sheep and daniels go to do with anything? :thumbsup: I know, I know. I do believe I will be leaving the country and by the sounds of it, so will most everybody. Now, where to actually go :confused:

scot47 Apr 17th 2013 10:02 am

Restrictions on eating are during daylight hours in Ramadan. Nothing says that you should not eat during prayer time outside the month of Ramadan !

Quackers Apr 17th 2013 10:06 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10663835)
Restrictions on eating are during daylight hours in Ramadan. Nothing says that you should not eat during prayer time outside the month of Ramadan !

This is correct and you should note that nobody can see you eating cos they should all be in their little mosque places :p

scot47 Apr 17th 2013 10:10 am

I think if I were unfortunate enough to be a TCN working in one of those fcranchised food joints. I too would spin out prayer time for as long as possible. Only break some of threse guys get !