Quick Courier Question

Old Jul 8th 2013, 3:36 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Quick Courier Question

Am having some food supplements (powder form) shipped in from the UK and they have asked me which one of the 3 to use :

1. DHL - 90£ (costs more than the bloody thing)
2. Fedex - £57 (costs as much as the bloody thing)
3. Post Office - £25 (Costs half as much as the bloody thing)

But since it is something that has to be done so the question is, which one to use i.e. which one to use if I ever want to see it?

and the other question, how anal are the custom guys over powder medicine / supplements etc?

its not an over the counter commodity but its not prescription either btw
Old Jul 9th 2013, 4:06 am
N/A

Dumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick Courier Question

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
Am having some food supplements (powder form) shipped in from the UK and they have asked me which one of the 3 to use :

But since it is something that has to be done so the question is, which one to use i.e. which one to use if I ever want to see it?

and the other question, how anal are the custom guys over powder medicine / supplements etc?

How much does it weigh? Have you considered Aramex shop and ship?

http://www.shopandship.com/default.aspx

They are all expense, unfortunately.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

I assume it's not available out here then, but can you order it?

When I asked GNI if they could obtain Oil of Oregano, they got me some (from Turkey I think) within a matter of days.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 6:30 am

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dumbo
How much does it weigh? Have you considered Aramex shop and ship?

http://www.shopandship.com/default.aspx

They are all expense, unfortunately.
I havent tried aramex actually but from the looks of the website it comes down to the same rate I think. But the rate isnt that big an issue mate, its eventual delivery and ofcourse the custom guys mood swings

Originally Posted by The Dean
I assume it's not available out here then, but can you order it?

When I asked GNI if they could obtain Oil of Oregano, they got me some (from Turkey I think) within a matter of days.
yeah mate, its not available here.
the distributor is helping me ship it here.
I remember someone posting here a few weeks ago that normaly posted mail / items end up in the twilight zone of UAE customs or something to that effect.
Is that a real concern?
Old Jul 9th 2013, 6:57 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

I havent tried aramex actually but from the looks of the website it comes down to the same rate I think. But the rate isnt that big an issue mate, its eventual delivery and ofcourse the custom guys mood swings

I remember someone posting here a few weeks ago that normaly posted mail / items end up in the twilight zone of UAE customs or something to that effect.
Is that a real concern?
My mum sent me a package in early June through the post. It arrived in the UAE 3 days later (there's a stamp), but I only received it about a week ago. I don't think it was held by customs or anything actually - only 'lost' in Emiratespost for a while..

If you want it to get here on time and need to know where it is at all times I would definitely use a courier.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 8:21 am
N/A

Dumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond repute

Is that a real concern?
No worries I have used shop and ship quite a bit, they aren't cheap but they are good and quick. As for customs, no one can help you there mate .
Old Jul 9th 2013, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

Agree that the courier option, whilst pricier would be much quicker and trackable (so wouldn't get lost at Post Office either end or along the way).

In terms of the possible customs issues, how about ordering a small amount initially, to see if it gets through, then order more if it does? Of course there's always the risk that a subsequent shipment could get blocked if it's someone else working in Customs that day, but it'll maybe give an idea?
Old Jul 9th 2013, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Millsyisland
Agree that the courier option, whilst pricier would be much quicker and trackable (so wouldn't get lost at Post Office either end or along the way).

In terms of the possible customs issues, how about ordering a small amount initially, to see if it gets through, then order more if it does? Of course there's always the risk that a subsequent shipment could get blocked if it's someone else working in Customs that day, but it'll maybe give an idea?
Thanks for the help guys! yeah Ive decided to go with a small quantity at first but have decided to go with the normal post office route (want to show solidarity with the postal system )
But in all honesty I would be ordering this stuff hopefully on a regular basis for a very long time so the postal route just had to be tried once, so I might as well try it on the first go and figure out the SOPs and the 'x' number of days to build into the equation for future calculations etc.
The courier (and more reliable) option is always there anyway isnt it?

So order given, will update soon inshAllah!
btw its a food supplement for Osteoporosis for me mum
Old Jul 10th 2013, 6:21 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

If it turns up it will be a miracle, we use Shop n Ship, pricey but delivers
Old Jul 10th 2013, 6:23 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Have you checked that the items are acceptable for delivery to the UAE? Some powders and liquids are not accepted.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Meow
Have you checked that the items are acceptable for delivery to the UAE? Some powders and liquids are not accepted.
where to check from? that was one of the reasons to go with a small quantity
Old Jul 10th 2013, 6:33 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

where to check from? that was one of the reasons to go with a small quantity
The courier companies. They'll know what they will or won't accept.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 6:39 am

Hi,
just an update
parcel shipped on the 10th of July
has got a date of entry written on it for the 21st of July
I had specifically asked them to mention my PO Box number so found a slip of paper in the PO Box this Friday asking me to collect a packet and viola in my hand today.
She had ticked off the part where it says gift and slipped in a small hand written note saying Mr. Irishbeekeeper hope you like the gift blah blah. I can tell the package was definitely opened but the containers are sealed pack.
So, 2 weeks from normal post
Old Jul 28th 2013, 6:43 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

well done