Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Question to New ME Peeps

Question to New ME Peeps

Old Dec 5th 2007, 6:37 am
  #1  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Paidtoplease's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: dubai
Posts: 2,674
Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question to New ME Peeps

To all you new arrivals to the Middle East, weither a week, month or a couple of months:-

How have you found it ???
Is it what you imagined ???
Did you look at this site or ask questions ???
And did what we say ring true ???
Gut feel are you glad you did it ???

Really Interested on your views
Paidtoplease is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2007, 8:19 am
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Inselaffen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 13,549
Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question to New ME Peeps

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease View Post
To all you new arrivals to the Middle East, weither a week, month or a couple of months:-

How have you found it ???
Is it what you imagined ???
Did you look at this site or ask questions ???
And did what we say ring true ???
Gut feel are you glad you did it ???

Really Interested on your views
as a newbie I find it can be slightly cliquey!!
Inselaffen is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2007, 8:21 am
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Paidtoplease's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: dubai
Posts: 2,674
Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question to New ME Peeps

Originally Posted by Inselaffen View Post
as a newbie I find it can be slightly cliquey!!
Carefull Ins, you may get a slap
Paidtoplease is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2007, 8:49 am
  #4  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Inselaffen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 13,549
Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question to New ME Peeps

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease View Post
Carefull Ins, you may get a slap
not another
Inselaffen is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2007, 8:50 am
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Paidtoplease's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: dubai
Posts: 2,674
Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question to New ME Peeps

It would be good to know if we could add anything to the site to help peeps.
Paidtoplease is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2007, 9:21 am
  #6  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,130
Emerald_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question to New ME Peeps

I'll be generous and give you the first proper reply!

The most useful part of this site is obviously the forums and generally whenever I have asked a question the replies have been extremely helpful and fairly accurate as well.

The day before I move into my new flat I'm feeling remarkably calmer than I have been feeling over the last three weeks. Having never done a move like this before it was a real shock to find out quite how much there is to do when you arrive. Although Red Tape and Resident's guide are helpful there's just no way you can prepare for everything.

Useful suggestions for the site might be a 14 day arrival plan that timelines the various tasks that need to be completed within those first few days. And also perhaps provide a few really good maps.

I think I'm going to be very happy in Dubai and I believe I made the right decision in coming here.
Emerald_Eyes is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2007, 9:26 am
  #7  
hmmmm...nice
 
MataHari's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 27,920
MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question to New ME Peeps

that's good to hear Emerald Eyes...

The timeline thingy...hmmmm....I really can't remember what I did in those first two weeks...apart from finding my way round. Most things were arranged through the company which makes life very easy...
MataHari is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2007, 9:37 am
  #8  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Inselaffen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 13,549
Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question to New ME Peeps

first 14 days will generally be doing very little. all the effort starts once you have your residence permit. which will probably be 1 to 3 months depending on your company
Inselaffen is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2007, 9:53 am
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Paidtoplease's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: dubai
Posts: 2,674
Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question to New ME Peeps

Thanks Emerald, yea 1st couple of weeks is like the waiting game, then all kicks off when you get your accommodation.

My best advise would be not to stress over the little things (like deliveries turning up on time) it really is not worth it and it usually comes good in the end, Oh and try and get your Alcohol licence asap that also helps.

You should try and come on Friday it will be good to meet those who have been cyber buds.
Paidtoplease is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2007, 10:00 am
  #10  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,130
Emerald_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question to New ME Peeps

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease View Post
Thanks Emerald, yea 1st couple of weeks is like the waiting game, then all kicks off when you get your accommodation.

My best advise would be not to stress over the little things (like deliveries turning up on time) it really is not worth it and it usually comes good in the end, Oh and try and get your Alcohol licence asap that also helps.

You should try and come on Friday it will be good to meet those who have been cyber buds.
Thanks for the invite Paidtoplease, I would definitely have considered attending if it wasn't my birthday that very day. I'm doing dinner and dancing with some friends that night...after I've managed to assemble my Ikea bed!

I know exactly what you mean about the waiting around, I'm such an impatient person and I'm having to train myself not to stress out when things aren't done immediately, although I do find that if you shout a bit, things are hurried along a bit quicker.

Re first few days: I guess because my residents permit came through from my company pretty quickly my first 14 days have been hectic, but I guess that varies.

Last edited by Emerald_Eyes; Dec 5th 2007 at 10:03 am.
Emerald_Eyes is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2007, 10:07 am
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Paidtoplease's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: dubai
Posts: 2,674
Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question to New ME Peeps

Originally Posted by Emerald_Eyes View Post
Thanks for the invite Paidtoplease, I would definitely have considered attending if it wasn't my birthday that very day. I'm doing dinner and dancing with some friends that night...after I've managed to assemble my Ikea bed!

I know exactly what you mean about the waiting around, I'm such an impatient person and I'm having to train myself not to stress out when things aren't done immediately, although I do find that if you shout a bit, things are hurried along a bit quicker.
Re first few days: I guess because my residents permit came through from my company pretty quickly my first 14 days have been hectic, but I guess that varies.
Happy Birthday in Advance, have a good one

Hell you should have got the Ikea delivery bods to do it

Ahhh you are now an official Expat in Dubai

Come on anyone else with some thoughts ???
Paidtoplease is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2007, 10:17 am
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 55
rebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nice
Default Re: Question to New ME Peeps

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease View Post
To all you new arrivals to the Middle East, weither a week, month or a couple of months:-

How have you found it ???
Is it what you imagined ???
Did you look at this site or ask questions ???
And did what we say ring true ???
Gut feel are you glad you did it ???

Really Interested on your views

Hi, well, I've been here a few months and I love it!

Came out on my own, and didn't know anyone, but have settled in quite well and enjoying it alot.

I didn't have any expectations because I'd never even thought about Dubai until I was offered the job, and then within a few weeks I was here, so it all happened very fast.

I have asked questions on this site, and they are all been answered, so I've found it useful.

My gut feeling is that it was the best thing to do, as I was definately ready to try something different. I don't know how long i'll stay as I want to try somewhere else eventually. But I'll probably stay as long as I'm happy and as long as my pay is increased because my pay is awful and it is expensive to live her... was slightly misled by my company on the cost of living..

All in all.. Dubai is great for me!
rebeccadubai is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2007, 10:21 am
  #13  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,130
Emerald_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question to New ME Peeps

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease View Post
Happy Birthday in Advance, have a good one

Hell you should have got the Ikea delivery bods to do it

Ahhh you are now an official Expat in Dubai

Come on anyone else with some thoughts ???

Thanks!

Apparantly there's a two week waiting list for assembling at the moment, so I'm just getting a girl friend to come over and help. Girl power!
Emerald_Eyes is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2007, 10:23 am
  #14  
hmmmm...nice
 
MataHari's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 27,920
MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question to New ME Peeps

another happy person....sorry to hear about the pay though, and not nice to be misled by your employer...anyway...you are also very welcome to come and join us for Xmas dinner on Friday...unless it is your birthday of course, in that case you're excused...
MataHari is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2007, 10:25 am
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Paidtoplease's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: dubai
Posts: 2,674
Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question to New ME Peeps

Originally Posted by rebeccadubai View Post
Hi, well, I've been here a few months and I love it!

Came out on my own, and didn't know anyone, but have settled in quite well and enjoying it alot.

I didn't have any expectations because I'd never even thought about Dubai until I was offered the job, and then within a few weeks I was here, so it all happened very fast.

I have asked questions on this site, and they are all been answered, so I've found it useful.

My gut feeling is that it was the best thing to do, as I was definately ready to try something different. I don't know how long i'll stay as I want to try somewhere else eventually. But I'll probably stay as long as I'm happy and as long as my pay is increased because my pay is awful and it is expensive to live her... was slightly misled by my company on the cost of living..

All in all.. Dubai is great for me!
Fantastic Rebbeca, so glad it worked out, I was the same very short time between even entertaining the Middle East thought to Wow, Hell, Shit...I'm here, I didn't know about this site before i came, wish I did as it would have helped me in wage negotiations as in the end my company blatently lied about property prices, car rentals etc etc.
Paidtoplease is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.