British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Question for Dog Owners (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/question-dog-owners-618552/)

pauldxb Jul 6th 2009 7:23 am

Question for Dog Owners

I have recently taken in an 18 month old dog from K9 friends, he is very friendly & my misus adores him.... BUT he has NEVER been trained, this is harder when the dog is in effect a teenager. The previous owner was a local who tied the dog to the railings some months back on a Friday, he was not found until the Saturday morning. He has obviously been beaten in the past as he cowers a lot. Anyway its been three days (i know not long) but i am very impatient & the peeing & pooing is doing my head in & he has now chewed through my surround sound connections :thumbdown: so does anyone know of a good & quick dog trainer in Dubai ?

NorthernLad Jul 6th 2009 7:29 am

Re: Question for Dog Owners

Originally Posted by pauldxb (Post 7727103)
I have recently taken in an 18 month old dog from K9 friends, he is very friendly & my misus adores him.... BUT he has NEVER been trained, this is harder when the dog is in effect a teenager. The previous owner was a local who tied the dog to the railings some months back on a Friday, he was not found until the Saturday morning. He has obviously been beaten in the past as he cowers a lot. Anyway its been three days (i know not long) but i am very impatient & the peeing & pooing is doing my head in & he has now chewed through my surround sound connections :thumbdown: so does anyone know of a good & quick dog trainer in Dubai ?

Sorry, can't help with a trainer but good on you for helping out K9 friends.

MacScot Jul 6th 2009 7:36 am

Housebreaking an older dog is not an impossible task. See, for example:

http://community.tradingpost.com.au/pets/Blog.aspx?id=6

There's quite a bit on the internet about this very subject.

pauldxb Jul 6th 2009 7:51 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 7727116)
Sorry, can't help with a trainer but good on you for helping out K9 friends.

They need the help, they told me that Sheikh Mo has given them the new yard & paid for its construction its nice BUT full

pauldxb Jul 6th 2009 7:52 am

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 7727129)
Housebreaking an older dog is not an impossible task. See, for example:

http://community.tradingpost.com.au/pets/Blog.aspx?id=6

There's quite a bit on the internet about this very subject.

:thumbup:

MacScot Jul 6th 2009 8:08 am

Originally Posted by pauldxb (Post 7727151)
:thumbup:

Also to stop chewing household items, wires etc, have plenty of toys !

Blue Cat Jul 6th 2009 10:28 am

Originally Posted by pauldxb (Post 7727103)

there is an excellent lady called Verity, I will pm you her phone number now.

eylesda Jul 6th 2009 12:33 pm

We took over 2 dogs that had been in a similar situation, very wearing cleaning up.
We confined them to 1 room when not supervised, at least it limited the damage.

Watch his behaviour and try to pick up on signs such as sniffing around and looking for somewhere to go.

Feed him once a day only and at the same time, then take him for a walk.
They soon get into a routine.

Try not to get angry with him though, it's the last thing the poor sod needs right now.
Take him for regular walks even just a few hundred metres,
they actually prefer to pee and poo outside, something to do with others dogs scents.

LankyLady Jul 7th 2009 8:17 am

Look into crate training your dog. Because he's been at K9 Friends for awhile, he's learned that his only option when he needs to go is to do it within his living space. You need to teach him otherwise. By using a crate that has enough space for him to curl up comfortably, but not enough space for him to urinate or defecate in his sleeping area, he'll start to figure out (or remember) that he doesn't want to, well, sh*t where he lives.

There is loads of information about crate training on the web. Aside from helping immensely with the house training, it will also give your dog a safe haven from the hustle and bustle of the house. We crate trained our boy when he was a puppy, and in the two years we have had him, he's only had two accidents (both beyond his control - one was 2am diarrhea that we didn't hear him whining about in time - thankfully the husband was the one to wake up for that, the other was a case of being over-hydrogenated from a saline drip, and we weren't fast enough getting him out the door).

For behaviours, Verity is a godsend. You may also want to look at getting him into some formal training classes for socialization and both your mental health... depending on his history, he may never have really learned how to be a dog.

Good luck - and good on you for getting a rescue dog!

buddymom Jul 7th 2009 9:07 am

All of what Lanky L said, and more.

I got a rescue puppy a year and 1/2 ago. He was the shyest, most timid fellow, who also cowered at the slightest noise. He had been starved and abused by a local family as well.
He peed and pooped in the house for less than a week, then got with the program.

The first days are trying, very. A lot of patience and gentle reinforcement is needed,

We used a crate for him, up until a few months ago. He actually loved it, and misses his "house""
Said crate is sitting in our spare room, if yu want to borrow it to see how the pooch makes out with it, you are welcome to it.

Good luck, the reward is awesome. My little Buddy is the sweetest, loving, friendly, fellow. And much more obedient after his de-balling too....
Have you had that done??