British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Question for Brits about your government and opinions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/question-brits-about-your-government-opinions-604450/)

AnotherWorld Apr 20th 2009 9:51 am

Question for Brits about your government and opinions

The thing that really pisses me off about back in Australia, is that aussies LOVE to blame every little thing on either the liberal or labour government. IE, comments such as "This all happened since Rudd became Prime Minister" are so common regarding the economic crisis it makes me want to tear my eyes out. How a single government can be blamed for all recurring problems (and I mean ALL problems) is beyond my understanding of logic.

Do people in the UK (or anywhere else for that matter) do the same thing? I haven't noticed it to the same extent when it comes to Americans discussing things about their country.

admon Apr 20th 2009 9:53 am

Re: Question for Brits about your government and opinions

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld (Post 7495528)
The thing that really pisses me off about back in Australia, is that aussies LOVE to blame every little thing on either the liberal or labour government. IE, comments such as "This all happened since Rudd became Prime Minister" are so common regarding the economic crisis it makes me want to tear my eyes out. How a single government can be blamed for all recurring problems (and I mean ALL problems) is beyond my understanding of logic.

Do people in the UK (or anywhere else for that matter) do the same thing? I haven't noticed it to the same extent when it comes to Americans discussing things about their country.

we just blame it all on the ozzies, funnily enough..

AnotherWorld Apr 20th 2009 9:55 am

I can understand that. Denial.

Blue Cat Apr 20th 2009 9:56 am

people always want to apportion blame elsewhere, and those is power are often the target.

admon Apr 20th 2009 10:09 am

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld (Post 7495546)
I can understand that. Denial.

nah they are just too slow serving at the bar..

AnotherWorld Apr 20th 2009 10:13 am

Originally Posted by admon (Post 7495587)
nah they are just too slow serving at the bar..

Heh..

Thats another issue... "I know, I'll take 2 years off, get a working holiday visa, slave my arse off in a bar in London, gain no new skills, live with 5 other blokes and maybe spend a few weeks each year seeing 2 or 3 European countries". :thumbsup:

admon Apr 20th 2009 10:20 am

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld (Post 7495603)
Heh..

Thats another issue... "I know, I'll take 2 years off, get a working holiday visa, slave my arse off in a bar in London, gain no new skills, live with 5 other blokes and maybe spend a few weeks each year seeing 2 or 3 European countries". :thumbsup:

yeah I'm only messing with you.

As BC said, I think its something that everyone does - blame government as it is so easy to do. What trillion dollar business would employ people at the very top tier with little or no business acumen? But governments around the world do it every day.

hitchw Apr 20th 2009 4:26 pm

well when it comes to blaming labour i wouldnt say that is the case here completely...but blaming gordon brown....thats another matter!!! and alistair darling...cant wait to hear what crap ideas his briefcase contains on wednesday! bring back the tories...i dont mean hague or major, i mean people in the mould of maggie thatcher, just modernised and a little easier on the eye....

The Dean Apr 20th 2009 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by hitchw (Post 7496795)
well when it comes to blaming labour i wouldnt say that is the case here completely...but blaming gordon brown....thats another matter!!! and alistair darling...cant wait to hear what crap ideas his briefcase contains on wednesday! bring back the tories...i dont mean hague or major, i mean people in the mould of maggie thatcher, just modernised and a little easier on the eye....

And it's a bit tricky blaming the 'other party' when you have been in office for 12 years..............

Spugsy Apr 20th 2009 4:40 pm

I blame most things on Sandboy.

Hello.Kitty Apr 20th 2009 6:21 pm

Our beloved government (Labour) seem to be still blaming the woes of the UK on the previous Conservative government... which was 12 years ago! The phrase "get over it" springs to mind... swiftly followed with "and just do your friggin' job!"

Roadking Apr 20th 2009 6:27 pm

Problem is; we have too many fewkin MP's with not enough to do all claiming expenses for 2 and 3 homes and getting paid for doing fewk all.

If private industry was run in the same way, the whole world would go arse over tit.....

Ooops, it has!

The Dean Apr 20th 2009 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 7497108)
Our beloved government (Labour) seem to be still blaming the woes of the UK on the previous Conservative government... which was 12 years ago! The phrase "get over it" springs to mind... swiftly followed with "and just do your friggin' job!"

Kitty wins the "Repeating What Was Posted Two Hours Ago" award..........

Kim67 Apr 21st 2009 8:43 am

I knew they would - so happy to have him take the blame - means they'll vote the sly little turd out at the next election and won't have to see his smug little grin or his horrible wife strutting around like an overweight peahen for too much longer. By the time I get home, he'll be history. I see his old mate he walked the Kakoda Trail with (Joe Hockey) was giving him a big bagging the other day.

Sky Blue Apr 21st 2009 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 7499003)
I knew they would - so happy to have him take the blame - means they'll vote the sly little turd out at the next election and won't have to see his smug little grin or his horrible wife strutting around like an overweight peahen for too much longer. By the time I get home, he'll be history. I see his old mate he walked the Kakoda Trail with (Joe Hockey) was giving him a big bagging the other day.

Yeah bring back Howard I say, he was a great Prime Minister and one without personality who i personally loved... Did a lot for Aussie, my favourite moment was his ugly face contorting when he handed over the Rugby World Cup to Martin Johnson - frikin hilarious...