Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

A question about women.

A question about women.

Old Dec 7th 2017, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question about women.

Yes, the Saudi bureaucracy will freak out. Are you still technically married or not? If not she has no chance to come with you.

While Saudis break their own cultural norms with regularity and often just for sport - not to mention, Westerners often don't understand what really is a norm and what is just gossip or long-ago tradition - as anyone in the Middle East knows there are one set of rules for locals and a different one for foreigners (and then different ones again depending on where the foreigner is from).

Do as they say and not as they do.
Old Dec 8th 2017, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Europe and the UK are different though.

They give Citizenship and even before that they give generous benefits like schooling, housing, disability allowance, pensions and full access to the NHS.

Expatriates in the Gulf get renewable work visas and have no benefits of any kind. It is also nearly impossible to get citizenship or even a long term residency.

If any European country had a migration policy that was half as strict as the Gulf we would never hear the end of how racist and intolerant Europeans are.

N.
Good point about Europe vs Gulf migration policy differences.

All I am saying is if I wish to live and work in another country, I believe in respecting local traditions and laws , just as I would expect immigrants/migrants to do the same in UK or Europe.

As far strict migration policy Europe seems to accept that a continued flow will come form Africa and Middle East, so much for "intolerance".
Old Dec 8th 2017, 2:03 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Good point about Europe vs Gulf migration policy differences.

All I am saying is if I wish to live and work in another country, I believe in respecting local traditions and laws , just as I would expect immigrants/migrants to do the same in UK or Europe.

As far strict migration policy Europe seems to accept that a continued flow will come form Africa and Middle East, so much for "intolerance".
In public yes, but what I do in my own home is my own affair. Which is how I think it is for most expats in the Gulf.
Old Dec 8th 2017, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
In public yes, but what I do in my own home is my own affair. Which is how I think it is for most expats in the Gulf.
Can't say I disagree, though I still maintain if goes to another country one should or try to abide by their rules.
Old Dec 9th 2017, 3:24 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Can't say I disagree, though I still maintain if goes to another country one should or try to abide by their rules.
Dunno about that. I've broken the rules in every country I've lived in, UK included.

That's just the way I roll.
Old Dec 9th 2017, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno about that. I've broken the rules in every country I've lived in, UK included.

That's just the way I roll.
Badass
Old Dec 9th 2017, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Badass
yu no dat...
Old Dec 12th 2017, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Absolutely.

Even just a quick visit should be one where you take a bit of time to make sure you're aware of basic manners and customs of the locals.

In all cases obeying the law is a must too.

UK/Europe give so much more than we get as expatriates - yet demand nothing in return. And people wonder why we have "no go areas" and rising ethnic nationalism? Created by idiots afraid to offend. Notice how no locals here are afraid of offending anyone else...they flaunt their culture and law and way of life in their own land - as it should be.

Type "the most racist countries in the world" in Google and look at the top five hits if you want to see how terrible European nations are.

N.
The situation in Europe is absurd, a continent engaged in cultural and security suicide- yet so many willing to defend the policies that have and are leading to a destruction of much of the continent. The no-go zones you refer to are unbelievable that they exist and government/media/elite/academia afraid to face the obvious.

Much is granted to expatriates/migrants/immigrants/refugees in Europe which will only attract millions ore in upcoming decade.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 4:09 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I remember my Nan telling me when we go overseas we have to look our best and act our best so the locals don't think "they're all like that".

We have no shame anymore as a people and couldn't care less if other nations think us savages or gentlemen.

N.
Yep, for the vast majority. My brogues are still polished every day, though.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

What are the rules in Chavistan ? In the Land of the Chav what is allowed and what is not ?

Last edited by scot47; Dec 12th 2017 at 4:14 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I was born and raised in Luton and my family are mixed. Those no-go zones exist...the media and establishment are lying to us.

I am currently helping a friend in the Met get a job elsewhere because he goes home every night in a rage that he cannot do his job properly. They are told to avoid certain areas, and to behave differently with different communities. They are constantly threatened with racial discrimination lawsuits so have to tiptoe around arresting people who express opinions about government policy on twitter while real crime goes unpunished.

The establishment is working to destroy the Britain we grew up in. That is the only conclusion I can make.

It's a disaster and I would put money down that within 30 years we we see some parts of either Britain or France declare their own state or autonomous state. And I would bet they will grant it without a shot being fired. The policy is appeasement. A people who fear death more than slavery quickly become slaves.

In 30 years we will still be able to come through immigration in Dubai and see all Arabs at immigration (and let's not forget there are black Arabs too) and in every important office around the country.

N.
Well a not too popular viewpoint on various thread on BE. On one thread there were heated comments about how no-go zones in Sweden were just made up and were perfectly safe, and that the situation of Jews in Malmo ( or Paris for that matter) was just right wing propaganda. The situation in Germany, parts of Holland and Belgium, let alone Sweden, are just denied by many. Met a German lawyer the other day who has emigrated ( Latin America) who simply states that the press and government in Germany just deny there is a problem.

I agree that most likely either separate Islamic states will be established, or more and more appeasement of Islam will become more and more prevalent and at the same time more rejection of Europeans and European culture.

Very weird all this ! Who would have believed even 30 years ago this situation would exist today .
Old Dec 13th 2017, 1:50 pm
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Well a not too popular viewpoint on various thread on BE. On one thread there were heated comments about how no-go zones in Sweden were just made up and were perfectly safe, and that the situation of Jews in Malmo ( or Paris for that matter) was just right wing propaganda. The situation in Germany, parts of Holland and Belgium, let alone Sweden, are just denied by many. Met a German lawyer the other day who has emigrated ( Latin America) who simply states that the press and government in Germany just deny there is a problem.

I agree that most likely either separate Islamic states will be established, or more and more appeasement of Islam will become more and more prevalent and at the same time more rejection of Europeans and European culture.

Very weird all this ! Who would have believed even 30 years ago this situation would exist today .
It's not popular because (or maybe even in spite) of the fact that it is a load of paranoid bollocks drummed up by the likes of Breitbart who have regularly been exposed as posting articles containing completely fabricated nonsense designed to incite hatred of certain groups. Please name JUST ONE very specific "no-go area" with exact locations so that we can identify and verify if that is the case. I recall the "expert" on Fox News who was railing about the fact that Birmingham was a no-go city. It's all just nasty rumour and innuendo.

What particularly irks me is the new-found "concern" of these right-wingers for Jews and gays who most recently they were looking to demonise. F**k off you hypocritical ******s - we don't need you to defend us against some imaginary menace because it's you lot that has always been the threat to our freedom all along.

This hate-mongering bullshit needs to be called out for what it is.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
It's not popular because (or maybe even in spite) of the fact that it is a load of paranoid bollocks drummed up by the likes of Breitbart who have regularly been exposed as posting articles containing completely fabricated nonsense designed to incite hatred of certain groups. Please name JUST ONE very specific "no-go area" with exact locations so that we can identify and verify if that is the case. I recall the "expert" on Fox News who was railing about the fact that Birmingham was a no-go city. It's all just nasty rumour and innuendo.

What particularly irks me is the new-found "concern" of these right-wingers for Jews and gays who most recently they were looking to demonise. F**k off you hypocritical ******s - we don't need you to defend us against some imaginary menace because it's you lot that has always been the threat to our freedom all along.

This hate-mongering bullshit needs to be called out for what it is.
I don't know why it is so difficult to accept what is common knowledge in several European countries of "no go" zones. I don't know what Breibart says, and I would think Fox News doesn't cover Europe on the ground too well, but I doubt reading your post anything would convince you of what Europeans know. On another thread it came up the Swedish no-go zones, and even after every article cited the response was (a) deny any article because it was biased (b) claim the are was as safe as could be.

Are you saying for example the Jews in Paris or Malmo don't have legitimate concerns ?

Just talking to close friends in Antwerp, a quite international couple, who said there are areas in Antwerp now that are not too safe to be in at night- is everyone just right-wing nuts if they state the obvious ?

As far as demonizing either the right or left with pejorative or emotive language I fail to see the productive benefit, and it seems a certain mindset on both the right and left these days precludes calm rational debate.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 7:04 pm

I don't know why it is so difficult to accept what is common knowledge in several European countries of "no go" zones. I don't know what Breibart says, and I would think Fox News doesn't cover Europe on the ground too well, but I doubt reading your post anything would convince you of what Europeans know. On another thread it came up the Swedish no-go zones, and even after every article cited the response was (a) deny any article because it was biased (b) claim the are was as safe as could be.

Are you saying for example the Jews in Paris or Malmo don't have legitimate concerns ?

Just talking to close friends in Antwerp, a quite international couple, who said there are areas in Antwerp now that are not too safe to be in at night- is everyone just right-wing nuts if they state the obvious ?

As far as demonizing either the right or left with pejorative or emotive language I fail to see the productive benefit, and it seems a certain mindset on both the right and left these days precludes calm rational debate.
I tend to go with MAT on this. As a product of a so called no go area, The media loves to come out with this kind of hsite, but the actual reality on the street is very different. I spent my formulative years just off the OKR in North Peckham. The very idea that the police are not present is ****ing ridiculous, because they're around all the time because of all the shit that used to go down.

look for the yellow signs my friend...... someone has to put them there.....
Old Dec 14th 2017, 12:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I tend to go with MAT on this. As a product of a so called no go area, The media loves to come out with this kind of hsite, but the actual reality on the street is very different. I spent my formulative years just off the OKR in North Peckham. The very idea that the police are not present is ****ing ridiculous, because they're around all the time because of all the shit that used to go down.

look for the yellow signs my friend...... someone has to put them there.....
I was referring to Europe not the UK, and certainly some press has on occasions exaggerated the issue- but that doesn't negate the fact there are now areas of several European cities that have become "no go" type zones.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.