British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   A question about women. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/question-about-women-906369/)

slammer Nov 29th 2017 11:37 am

A question about women.

Ahem! Now I know all about not living together with a unmarried female, buuuut, if I were to come to Saudi together with my ex-wife, would the bureaucracy freak out?

jam25mack Nov 29th 2017 12:03 pm

Re: A question about women.

Saudi along with your ex wife...... a glutton for punishment!

slammer Nov 30th 2017 8:20 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12390984)
Saudi along with your ex wife...... a glutton for punishment!

It could be worst, but the mother in law stays behind, was quite adamant on that point. Having said that I would love to see her in a abaya and looking like a bat.

nonthaburi Nov 30th 2017 10:10 am

I did know of a couple that divorced and then got back together. But they never told the Saudis they divorced, so as far as paperwork went they were still married.

They are now fully separated and no longer in Saudi, so on a purely anecdotal basis, I would say don't come with your ex.

UKCityGent Dec 3rd 2017 4:10 am

Sort of begs the question how the ex would enter Saudi first ?

(Please don't tell me that you will use your original marriage cert to sponsor your ex ?)

slammer Dec 4th 2017 8:32 am

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 12393159)
Sort of begs the question how the ex would enter Saudi first ?

(Please don't tell me that you will use your original marriage cert to sponsor your ex ?)

That was the rough plan, but it was a brain-fart anyway, she would not have come and the question is moot since Saturday, it seems the show went down the u-bend as they realised that I have just past my 57th birthday, Huraa!

morpeth Dec 6th 2017 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by slammer (Post 12390966)
Ahem! Now I know all about not living together with a unmarried female, buuuut, if I were to come to Saudi together with my ex-wife, would the bureaucracy freak out?

I guess my question would be why would you go live in a country and have no respect for local laws and traditions ?

slammer Dec 7th 2017 5:55 am

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12394826)
I guess my question would be why would you go live in a country and have no respect for local laws and traditions ?

But I do, that is why I am asking for the sage advice of persons who have been here before me. Also I got married in Germany to a German woman and there the marriage is registered in the family book, the marriage but not the divorce.
But as I said it was a brain fart and won´t happen anyway.

nonthaburi Dec 7th 2017 3:26 pm

And of course no Saudi has ever broken a law here have they, and they have full respect for all traditions.

nonthaburi Dec 7th 2017 3:27 pm

How many elephants did you slaughter too build your tower?

morpeth Dec 7th 2017 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 12395488)
And of course no Saudi has ever broken a law here have they, and they have full respect for all traditions.

But shouldn't someone consider going to live in Saudi Arabia as a guest worker consider whether they wish to follow the rules ? Just as someone coming to UK one would expect would want to follow local rules ?

DXBtoDOH Dec 7th 2017 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12395526)
But shouldn't someone consider going to live in Saudi Arabia as a guest worker consider whether they wish to follow the rules ? Just as someone coming to UK one would expect would want to follow local rules ?

You obviously missed Norm’s comment above pointing out millions move to the U.K. and Europe and don’t follow local rules or customs.

morpeth Dec 7th 2017 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12395529)
You obviously missed Norm’s comment above pointing out millions move to the U.K. and Europe and don’t follow local rules or customs.

No I did see that, same principle- if we expect the migrants/refugees/immigrants to show decent respect and gratitude living in UK and Europe, I think same should be shown to Saudi Arabia by not flouting their rules and customs, as much as we might disagree with them.

Bahtatboy Dec 7th 2017 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12395582)
No I did see that, same principle- if we expect the migrants/refugees/immigrants to show decent respect and gratitude living in UK and Europe, I think same should be shown to Saudi Arabia by not flouting their rules and customs, as much as we might disagree with them.

Maybe the difference is that we see so many Saudis flouting their own laws and customs, both in Saudi and particularly outside of it. There again, fly from Luton to Magaluf and part of the argument gets vapourised in a fog of alcohol, shell suits and swearing. Or perhaps that is our culture.

morpeth Dec 7th 2017 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 12395610)
Maybe the difference is that we see so many Saudis flouting their own laws and customs, both in Saudi and particularly outside of it. There again, fly from Luton to Magaluf and part of the argument gets vapourised in a fog of alcohol, shell suits and swearing. Or perhaps that is our culture.

I see your point, especially as I had several Saudis in my classes at uni , half of whom probably broke every single rule of Saudi culture and state that existed ! I just think reasonable that one respect another country, as people should respect the UK- especially if granted permission to live there.