Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

A question about women.

A question about women.

Old Dec 17th 2017, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question about women.

Originally Posted by TheShed

When we had a direct threat against me and another staff member, we were driven out to Bahrain as the security company didn't want us walking through the airport.
Yes, excellent. The best fences are the ones made up of your neighbours. The Shia in Bahrain really hate the Wahabi and Sunni extremists, and will quickly sniff one out (much, much faster than Westerners can) trying to sneak over the border to cause problems, and merrily report suspect activity to the authorities - as the Shia themselves could possibly be the targets.

In some places, who knows who has infiltrated airport security, but much less likely to happen in Bahrain which is crawling with a Shia majority population, pro-monarchist Sunnis in key positions, and US military personnel.

Last edited by carcajou; Dec 17th 2017 at 10:43 am.
Old Dec 17th 2017, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Yes, excellent. The best fences are the ones made up of your neighbours. The Shia in Bahrain really hate the Wahabi and Sunni extremists, and will quickly sniff one out (much, much faster than Westerners can) trying to sneak over the border to cause problems, and merrily report suspect activity to the authorities - as the Shia themselves could possibly be the targets.

In some places, who knows who has infiltrated airport security, but much less likely to happen in Bahrain which is crawling with a Shia majority population, pro-monarchist Sunnis in key positions, and US military personnel.
interesting....i had no idea Bahrain was Shia majority.
Old Dec 17th 2017, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
interesting....i had no idea Bahrain was Shia majority.
Yes, it is, but King Hamad, the royal family, and most of the senior government figures are Sunni.

One of the rumoured reasons for the construction of the King Fahd Causeway was so that the Saudis could quickly rush troops over to crush any Shia rebellion and preserve the Sunni government . . . as happened in 2011.
Old Dec 17th 2017, 4:20 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheShed
I was living in Riyadh around the time that the nutters were going around blowing things up and chopping Westerners heads off. Some of us regularly commuted to work in full Saudi dress as a form of camouflage !! With slightly tinted windows, you'd be amazed how effective it was.
A friend of a friend was doing exactly that around that time and he was beheaded at a fake police checkpoint on the eastern ring road. Not saying that the dress caused it, but it certainly didn't save him.
Old Dec 18th 2017, 3:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
A friend of a friend was doing exactly that around that time and he was beheaded at a fake police checkpoint on the eastern ring road. Not saying that the dress caused it, but it certainly didn't save him.
Wow. I’m going to cite this story in future, a friend of a friend of a poster on BE.
Old Dec 18th 2017, 6:15 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
How did it affect him 24/7?
Community destroyed; house prices plummeted. By the time he realised it was happening, it was too late to get out.
Old Dec 18th 2017, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Wow. I’m going to cite this story in future, a friend of a friend of a poster on BE.
I know of this case, if it is the one I am thinking of (I had no involvement, I just remember hearing about it).

I am always very suspicious when Westerners just happen to end up in the wrong place at the wrong time in these cases. Most likely scenario is the Westerner was specifically targeted and the terrorists had inside help. Least likely scenario is that a fake road block netted random Westerner as a stroke of luck for the bad guys.

Please see my comment earlier about "who knows who has infiltrated" security.

My heart goes out to the family of the victim, who over a decade later will still be suffering.
Old Dec 18th 2017, 6:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Community destroyed; house prices plummeted. By the time he realised it was happening, it was too late to get out.
Quite the effect of some blokes in pyjamas.

Sounds like the problem was his own, not them.
Old Dec 18th 2017, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
are you serious
Old Dec 18th 2017, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mission
are you serious
The incident nonthaburi speaks of did happen. If it is the same one I am thinking of - a second employee at that office, was also killed by militants the same day, but in a different location and not with the other employee who was captured at the roadblock. Which meant inside informants at the office.
Old Dec 18th 2017, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

slammer is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, who would have thought that my innocent and naive question would go this way, but I suppose all the talk about ex-wifes and beheading go hand in hand;.)
I had always taken pride in my ability to adapt to local customs and ways where ever I have been, methinks a stay in your part of the rock would have been the crowing glory of a career that has taken me all around the world. Now sadly it seems that I´ll never know how I would have gotten on.
Old Dec 18th 2017, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Quite the effect of some blokes in pyjamas.

Sounds like the problem was his own, not them.
don't be a bell-end for the sake of being a bell-end
Old Dec 18th 2017, 7:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

don't be a bell-end for the sake of being a bell-end
Why not? Every other idiot on here gets away with it.
Old Dec 18th 2017, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Why not? Every other idiot on here gets away with it.
fair point, I retract my words
Old Dec 18th 2017, 4:48 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Which doesn't mean it didn't happen.

We all have friends of friends, and things happen to people somewhere every day.

I've known the friend in question for five years,he's a stand up guy. I've no reason to doubt him.

Whether you believe is....Up to you....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.