the queen in abu dhabi

Old Jul 10th 2010, 9:02 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the queen in abu dhabi

Originally Posted by Ethos83
All your opinions are subjective, just as mine are, I suppose. You seem to care so much about this particular topic, which is rather odd. Does the monarchy bother you that much?
Probably...but don't mistake thought out opinions with caring. My activism doesn't go much further than the odd facebook group, pub conversation and message forum opinions. Any change should happen peacefully and democratically - unless the monarchy becomes a dictatorship again I'm happy to watch them slip away into irrelevance with time.

I'm all for the Queen, the CoE, changing of the guards, Big Ben, Scottish shooting moors, Cockney cab drivers, cream scones and strawberries at Wimbledon. They are part of our cultural heritage and I don't wish to seem them disappear.
Interesting - I don't recall saying I want to be rid of anything except the monarchy. I even suggested an elected "monarch" as a possibility. I certainly would hate to see the pomp and ceremony of government vanish simply because we decide one day we want an elected head of state rather than a hereditary aristocrat. If anything we need more pomp and national pride.

Also, I'm not sure why you think the end of the monarch would mean the end of cream scones and strawberries, Wimbledon or Cockneys? Is British culture so fragile and pathetic that it needs

It doesn't mean that the UK can't evolve along with history and I welcome the curry houses and the friendly Indian/Pakistani running the local corner shop as an addition to the nation's cultural heritage, but evolution does not mean tossing everything out with the bathwater the way some people would like to. Maoist China destroyed 90% of the country's heritage in just one generation and a visit to China today shows you inanely bland, overbuilt concrete jungles of cities in the quest of modernism. Is that progression to something better?
I'm not a big fan of Mao and neither are most Chinese people given many have relatives who died because of his policies. I'm in a serious relationship with a very well educated Han Chinese lass and I can tell you that for all the crap Mao put on China (mostly at the behest of his ridiculous concubines) he most certainly did not destroy 90% of China's heritage...more like 25%. There are literally thousands of wonderfully preserved Chinese cities, cultural relics and treasures that survived Moa, the Japanese, the Mongols and will survive Communism too. Indeed today in China there is a big resurgence in their culture and traditions.

I generally approve of each place doing its own bit. Britain is unique because we have the monarchy. Other places are unique because they are different from Britain. I have no desire to see us start resembling other nations, no matter how prosperous or wonderful (in your mind) the European republics may appear.
We're unique with or without a monarchy. Sit down at a table with some Germans or Italians for two hours and you'll see we have plenty of little differences to seperate us without even talking about politics.

Besides, some of your comments are rather overboard. Britain is religiously divided? Hmm...well, there is a bit of a Muslim problem but that's a problem facing Germany, France (and it's far worse than the UK), the Netherlands and Sweden. As Christianity goes the UK is not a religiously divided nation except for a few wackos in Northern Ireland.
The UK is a Christian country with a mostly secular population (whose taxes still support most major religions like it or not - from the Anglicans to "faith" schools such as the Muslims and Hindus...so much for secularism!). However there are a good number of neighbourhoods in Britain today seperated by religious or ethnic lines. Yes it's not as bad as parts of Germany or France but it's still division the country does not need.

It's hard not to be impressed by the US after you've spent some time there - but that doesn't mean I want the UK to become the 51st state.
I wouldn't want the UK to become the 51st state either...in fact I would hope any written constitution enhances Britain by stating clearly we have native cultures and traditions which should be enshrined and protected...even if it only mentions scones, bowler hats, kilts and Ale

Monarchy or not Britain is still Britain...
Old Jul 11th 2010, 4:44 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

This is becoming tedious. Statistics are statistics which as we both know means it's easily manipulated. Lamblasting an American professor for saying English rather than British is a cheap shot. Even your quoted 20% anti monarchy shows that 80% of the population is comfortable with current monarchy status, and contrary to what you say reform of the monarchy isn't number 1 when it comes to government reform. Parliamentary reform is.
Am not forcing you to reply...

The entire government needs reforming really. And we need a written rather than unwritten constitution.

I guarantee you the UK taxpayer does not pay as money for security as the US spends on security of its president and vice president and all heads of state who visit the US.
Of course not. The UK isn't even half the size of the US, nor as technologically advanced, nor is it's economy as large or dynamic...etc etc. At least US Citizens can find out exactly how much their government spends if they want to. The monarchy is not subject to national audit so we don't really know the whole story when it comes to their finances.

But you know what, sure, let's get rid of the monarchy because it cost too much money. Let's revoke all funding for English heritage because it cost too much money. Let's close down our museums because we have to spend money on it. The greenbelts? Standing in the way of modern development. Off with them.The countryside? Pave it.
Apologies for the red highlights again but you are proceeding with a false assumption. To suggest the end of the monarchy means the end of national heritage preservation, the end of museums and the end of protecting natural areas is a bit silly isn't it? Are you just scaremongering because you know deep down there are more reasons to not have a monarchy than to have one?

N.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 6:08 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Ethos83 - suggesting that all British heritage would be lost if there was no monarchy is disingenuous in the extreme. British history amounts to far more than a royal family, many members of which have been 'imported' anyway.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 6:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow boys calm down!

I like having a royal family. I like a bit of pomp and love watching the changing of the guards and various other ceremonies. I'd rather pay a tenner (or however much it really costs) a year for a royal family than not have one! As much as Prince Phillip royally f**ks up everynow and again ( which I find quite entertaining) and normally I have a chip on my shoulder for those born with a silver spoon in their mouths I support having a royal family. I don't think they should have anything to do with the running of the country and should just be there for show- Without them who would we have representing us- Jordan and her latest beau- yuck! I love the complete britishness to the royals and all the irony and coverups etc- a bit like a posh eastenders but without the Jeremy Kyle chav element (well ok Harry brings a bit of Chav to the picture).

Long live Queenie I say! Oh and I really wish Spitting Image was back on telly- I used to love their portrayal of the royals!
Old Jul 11th 2010, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Wow boys calm down!

I like having a royal family. I like a bit of pomp and love watching the changing of the guards and various other ceremonies. I'd rather pay a tenner (or however much it really costs) a year for a royal family than not have one! As much as Prince Phillip royally f**ks up everynow and again ( which I find quite entertaining) and normally I have a chip on my shoulder for those born with a silver spoon in their mouths I support having a royal family. I don't think they should have anything to do with the running of the country and should just be there for show- Without them who would we have representing us- Jordan and her latest beau- yuck! I love the complete britishness to the royals and all the irony and coverups etc- a bit like a posh eastenders but without the Jeremy Kyle chav element (well ok Harry brings a bit of Chav to the picture).

Long live Queenie I say! Oh and I really wish Spitting Image was back on telly- I used to love their portrayal of the royals!
Thanks for reminding us - I needed a laugh this morning:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/1848553.stm

Last edited by weescot; Jul 11th 2010 at 9:11 am.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 11:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that weescot- I'm chucklinga way! I am sure if Prince Phillip was posting on here he'd go down a storm! love it!
Old Jul 11th 2010, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Meow
Ethos83 - suggesting that all British heritage would be lost if there was no monarchy is disingenuous in the extreme. British history amounts to far more than a royal family, many members of which have been 'imported' anyway.
Indeed...but I've said that several times and several people just cannot seem to see British culture as unique and different unless some Germans are sitting on the throne raising their children to believe they are superior to the rest of us because they happen to be born into a certain family.

Perhaps when I eat bratwurst I'm being truly British according to the logic of certain people

N.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Don't waste your time- this is obviously too tedious for ethos.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

oh gawd I only said mam was coming to town.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley
oh gawd I only said mam was coming to town.
You should have put "Queen in Abu Dhabi" and then waited to see how many comments about Brian May's hair were posted...