Qualifications

Old Jul 2nd 2012, 12:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Qualifications

Originally Posted by typical
I wouldn't say you're too young, given you'd need to start prep soon and probably target a summer 2013 start... you're already older than the youngest guy in my class. The US schools are even younger.

They're damn expensive though. Mine completely wiped out my savings.
Yeah, without a degree and other shit behind me I think it worked out to about 6 years of studying to get one. Seemed a bit much to me, oh and the cost was astronomical. It's something I'd like to have when I'm 30ish though, that's for certain.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

I did my MBA here through the OU and absolutely loved every minute of it. I would highly recommend it.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

M.B.A. = Means Bugger All
M.A.S.T.E.R.S. = Moderate Achiever Still Trying the Educational Route to Success

There's also a really good definition of D.I.P.L.O.M.A. but I can't bloody well remember it - anyone?
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

By the way: if you want to study because it is a good thing to do in its own right, go ahead.........

...... but if you just want a qually, why not buy an online 'life experience' degree from one of those US-based degree mills (e.g. Almeda etc)?

They cold-called me (having obtained my CV from somewhere) and told me that I was eligible for a BSc Economics based on my previous work experience, and if I also took a ten-week correspondence course in "Economics with Applied Maths" (or something) and then passed the exam, I'd get a MSc in "Econometrics".

Total cost = USD 1,275 plus administration fee of USD 225.

I declined, but they're still on my case...........
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 2:01 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
...... but if you just want a qually, why not buy an online 'life experience' degree from one of those US-based degree mills (e.g. Almeda etc)?
Sod that - just award yourself one.

http://www.cynicalbastards.com/ubs/courses.html
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
M.B.A. = Means Bugger All
M.A.S.T.E.R.S. = Moderate Achiever Still Trying the Educational Route to Success

There's also a really good definition of D.I.P.L.O.M.A. but I can't bloody well remember it - anyone?
Sounds like sour grapes from somebody who did not go to university.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 2:04 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla
I find it funny

typical MA* MEng MBA

* Cantab
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 3:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thought OU allowed folks to sign up when not UK residence these days, so probably worth giving them a shout.

My missus did her masters, part time over a few years online via University of London, Kings College.

They were really good, she even got all the benefits of regular students, photo student ID, all those coupons for money off book shops and the like, but best bit was the access to the biggest digitised library in Europe, or it was at the time.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla
Oh I went to university all right - then had the good sense to stop before becoming labelled as one of life's permanent students........

Philip Green, Alan Sugar, Richard Branson, John Harvey-Jones........ not a qually between them......... reasonably successful though. You can't teach what they've got.......
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 4:59 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

To Echo what others have said, decide what area you find most enjoyable/interesting and motivates you most.

It's like physical activity - if you choose and activity you enjoy, you will do it more often and put more into it.

I would aim as high as you can (ie dont do a Diploma level course with a view to moving to a Degree course afterwards, if you are capable of doing a Degree already).

It will be a big commitment both time wise and monetarily particularly if you are working f/t as well.

Check out the institution you are going to do the qualification with. Reputation can count for a lot in some areas and if you are competing for a job against somebody with the same quals, the institution you have done it with can make the difference.

Good luck
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Degrees are generally pointless - especially anything business releated.

Learn arabic and do your job well - or better still, mandarin and be prepared.

Last edited by Millhouse; Jul 2nd 2012 at 9:26 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:26 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Degrees are generally ointless pointless pointless - especially anything business releated.

Learn arabic and do your job well - or better still, mandarin and be prepared.
Is that in all fields? what do you base that on?
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
Is that in all fields? what do you base that on?

You take it too literally. Obviously i mean medicine

But all those MBAs are not necessary - or indeed my engineering or accountancy degrees for what i do. My point is that most do not use their qualifications and scamp is better off learning someting useful (like a language) than a pointless degree.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:53 pm