British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Quadrillion (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/quadrillion-805601/)

UKCityGent Aug 10th 2013 1:46 pm

Quadrillion

Japanese public debt now officially hits a quadrillion and with almost zero interest rates and a large aging population - i wonder when the cracks will start showing. My bet is within the next 6 months.

Millhouse Aug 10th 2013 5:52 pm

Re: Quadrillion

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 10844132)
Japanese public debt now officially hits a quadrillion and with almost zero interest rates and a large aging population - i wonder when the cracks will start showing. My bet is within the next 6 months.

If interest is zero and it can roll the principal, surely they can keep going for ever... ;)

The Dean Aug 11th 2013 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10844425)
If interest is zero and it can roll the principal, surely they can keep going for ever... ;)

They'll have to invent a new type of calculator to work everything out.......

Boomhauer Aug 11th 2013 6:14 am

How much of it is external debt? With 0% interest , must be all internal debt?

Bahtatboy Aug 11th 2013 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 10844132)

Big difference from the west: most of their pensioners cost the state very little.

Norm_uk Aug 12th 2013 4:56 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10845336)
Big difference from the west: most of their pensioners cost the state very little.

Yup, they have a different set of issues but don't have the huge welfare and pensions bills we have.

N.

The Dean Aug 12th 2013 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10845336)

I believe the Japanese tradition is that Granny and Grandad live with the family, rather than being sub-contracted out to care homes........ there are lots of them though - the post-war baby boomers are all in early retirement now and there were vast numbers of those.

Bahtatboy Aug 12th 2013 8:33 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10846257)
I believe the Japanese tradition is that Granny and Grandad live with the family, rather than being sub-contracted out to care homes........ there are lots of them though - the post-war baby boomers are all in early retirement now and there were vast numbers of those.

Yes, but Japanese state pensions are very low, and virtually all healthcare costs are privately financed. That's not to say that it doesn't just shift the problem elsewhere...

Millhouse Aug 12th 2013 8:54 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10846257)

I would hate this. I can't wait to shove the old man into the home and only visit at Christmas.