Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Qataris 'planning to make £8billion takeover Marks and Spencer'

Qataris 'planning to make £8billion takeover Marks and Spencer'

Old Mar 19th 2013, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

redShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to all
Default Re: Qataris 'planning to make £8billion takeover Marks and Spencer'

Originally Posted by shiva
No, which is why I asked how you practise those principles. Not that surprised you didn't answer though

If I sometimes don’t answer some of the posts it’s more likely because I am trying to avoid getting entangled in Middle-east politics discussions. I have had more than my fair share of those discussions before and I could do without this headache.

But you asked a good question; where would a person draw a line; to me the answer is simple. if a person listens more to his conscious and less to his earthly desires he will surely find it very clear where to draw the line. Your conscious is on a continues struggle over YOU with your earthly desires. Give your conscious more chances to win and you will discover then that many things in life become clearer to understand. The prophet of Islam had a saying along the same theme “seek the answer from your own conscious even if someone else has already given you an answer”

Going back to the question of why I’ve boycotted M&S since a few decades ago; like I said it was because of the founder ‘s public support of a country that was at war with others. Wars that brought so much sufferings to hundreds of thousands of innocent people who were caught up in those wars and became refugees. Regardless of whether that country was on the right or on the wrong, when there were masses of families and children suffering from wars, help money should go to help lift their sufferings first. It should have never been used to add more fuel to raging wars.

My stand is not really about how much damage my actions have caused to M&S. It is about me celebrating my humanity as an upholder of principles. One part of my idea of a religion.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 2:56 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I understand the philosophy and once agin you haven't answered.

How do you implement this in your daily life?

Given your broad sweeping answer above I would have to assume you avoid any and all goods and services associated with the uk and the us. Since both in the last decade have more than met your criteria.

As I say I understand the philosophy but given the above, how do you implement it. Do you avoid all uk and us goods or is its just Palestine you care about?
Old Mar 20th 2013, 4:33 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redShark
If I sometimes don’t answer some of the posts it’s more likely because I am trying to avoid getting entangled in Middle-east politics discussions. I have had more than my fair share of those discussions before and I could do without this headache.

But you asked a good question; where would a person draw a line; to me the answer is simple. if a person listens more to his conscious and less to his earthly desires he will surely find it very clear where to draw the line. Your conscious is on a continues struggle over YOU with your earthly desires. Give your conscious more chances to win and you will discover then that many things in life become clearer to understand. The prophet of Islam had a saying along the same theme “seek the answer from your own conscious even if someone else has already given you an answer”

Going back to the question of why I’ve boycotted M&S since a few decades ago; like I said it was because of the founder ‘s public support of a country that was at war with others. Wars that brought so much sufferings to hundreds of thousands of innocent people who were caught up in those wars and became refugees. Regardless of whether that country was on the right or on the wrong, when there were masses of families and children suffering from wars, help money should go to help lift their sufferings first. It should have never been used to add more fuel to raging wars.

My stand is not really about how much damage my actions have caused to M&S. It is about me celebrating my humanity as an upholder of principles. One part of my idea of a religion.
At a guess, I would say the US gives more support to 'the country that cannot be named' than M&S (and publicly). Following your thinking, would that not mean boycotting American companies?

I'd be interested to know if you use an Intel based PC.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 6:55 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alfrombarking
From all the Gulf Sovereign Wealth Funds, QIA is by far the best performing one in terms of their returns for investments. The Abu Dhabi & the Kuwaiti SWFs lost several billions last year with their investments in UniCredit and Daimler, while QIA made billions from the sale of their stake in Barclay's

At the same time, it is normal since the UK is the 2nd largest FDI source into Qatar. Two of the largest gas fields in the country are developped by BP and Shell and the two countries have several defense pacts together.

Overall, as of 2012, Qatari investments in the UK account of $34 billion or 2.83% of the UK's total inward FDI stock of $1.2 trillion. Qatar's invesments in the UK are simply flashier than the usual that's all. The Shard, Harrod's, Canary Wharf Real Estate, 3% in Shell etc...

The Norwegian SWF is actually a much larger investor into the UK with a total stock of $85 billion, but they usually invest in less flashier assets or atleast try to keep it on the down low, not to attract too much publicity such as Rolls-Royce Plc, British Land, Prudential, Marks & Spencer & Regent Street.
So Qatar's does well because it hires better foreigners than other places....I'm shocked.

N.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 7:06 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I understand the philosophy and once agin you haven't answered.

How do you implement this in your daily life?

Given your broad sweeping answer above I would have to assume you avoid any and all goods and services associated with the uk and the us. Since both in the last decade have more than met your criteria.

As I say I understand the philosophy but given the above, how do you implement it. Do you avoid all uk and us goods or is its just Palestine you care about?
I expect this moral high ground is quite selective. I'm certain he doesn't boycott said country's neighbours for creating perpetual refugees to be used as a proxy weapon against their enemy. Nor does he boycott most of the Arab world for ejecting some 700,000 Jews from lands they had lived in before Arabs could even write in some cases.

It's always selective...especially is this conflict. Despite being one of the least deadly in history (more people died in the Algerian Civil War than in the entire Arab-Israeli conflict) it has a way of polarizing people more than any other.

As for me, I only boycott the Habtoor group for closing the Rattlesnake

N.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk

As for me, I only boycott the Habtoor group for closing the Rattlesnake

N.
welcome to the immoral high ground Norm
Old Mar 20th 2013, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

redShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
At a guess, I would say the US gives more support to 'the country that cannot be named' than M&S (and publicly). Following your thinking, would that not mean boycotting American companies?

I'd be interested to know if you use an Intel based PC.
You are confusing the issue here. I was not talking about governments. My issue was with a particular company and an individual. International politics is murky and a dirty business. For example, Although America supported Israel, it secretly stood beside President Nasser of Egypt against the coalition of Britain, France and Israel during the Suez war back in the fifties. So it really is not so black and white when it comes to international politics.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 3:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

You are confusing the issue here. I was not talking about governments. My issue was with a particular company and an individual. International politics is murky and a dirty business. For example, Although America supported Israel, it secretly stood beside President Nasser of Egypt against the coalition of Britain, France and Israel during the Suez war back in the fifties. So it really is not so black and white when it comes to international politics.
But business IS black and white and not murky?
Old Mar 21st 2013, 5:40 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

so yet again you are avoiding answering.
Do you use an intel cpu?
which other companies do you boycott?

given that marks and spencers is at the very lower end of the scale of supporting that place we dont mention, which much much bigger supporters do you avoid. or is it simply a case of its fashionable to boycott M&S?
Old Mar 21st 2013, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

so yet again you are avoiding answering.
Do you use an intel cpu?
which other companies do you boycott?

given that marks and spencers is at the very lower end of the scale of supporting that place we dont mention, which much much bigger supporters do you avoid. or is it simply a case of its fashionable to boycott M&S?
For me if I have a problem with a company I will boycott it. Now its your turn to answer me.
let’s assume, for the sake of argument that Intel has publically announced that it was supporting the IRA cause and it has devoted 10% of it’s annual profit to the IRA militants so that they could purchase weapons and explosives to bomb British soldiers in Northern Ireland. Would you still buy Intel CPUs?
Old Mar 21st 2013, 6:47 am
**** it we'll do it live

For me if I have a problem with a company I will boycott it. Now its your turn to answer me.
let’s assume, for the sake of argument that Intel has publically announced that it was supporting the IRA cause and it has devoted 10% of it’s annual profit to the IRA militants so that they could purchase weapons and explosives to bomb British soldiers in Northern Ireland. Would you still buy Intel CPUs?
no but as i already stated i understood the philosophy.
again i ask what companies do you boycott and do you use an intel cpu?
Old Mar 21st 2013, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

no but as i already stated i understood the philosophy.
again i ask what companies do you boycott and do you use an intel cpu?
Not quite sure why you keep asking me the same question about Intel; I don’t have any issue with that particular company unless you know something I am not aware off. Even if there is an issue with that company, so what… I will buy AMD CPUs… end of story
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 3:31 am
**** it we'll do it live

Not quite sure why you keep asking me the same question about Intel; I don’t have any issue with that particular company unless you know something I am not aware off. Even if there is an issue with that company, so what… I will buy AMD CPUs… end of story
As I suspected, your m&s boycott is fashionable not principled.
Were you actually morally committed to your argument then you would already be aware that, given your own code, you should already be boycotting intel.
I suggest a quick google and a reexamination of your principles