Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Qataris £1.5 billion Arsenal takeover bid

Qataris £1.5 billion Arsenal takeover bid

Old Mar 3rd 2013, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

alfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to behold
Default Qataris £1.5 billion Arsenal takeover bid

Old Mar 3rd 2013, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qataris £1.5 billion Arsenal takeover bid

I will believe it when it's done and dusted. Very coincidental that the story breaks on the day that Arsenal get thumped by their North London rivals.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 10:04 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

It says it is a mixture of Qatari's and Emirati's? Cannot see how they could all agree...............
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

The rumour is looking like a complete fabrication...

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/p...104348235.html
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 11:15 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
The rumour is looking like a complete fabrication...

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/p...104348235.html
Standard answer to push the price up
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

That's not even taking into account the fact that Arsenal are not worth anywhere near £1.5 Billion. That's probably twice what they're worth.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 11:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by jam25mack
That's not even taking into account the fact that Arsenal are not worth anywhere near £1.5 Billion. That's probably twice what they're worth.

Beat me to it.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Don't you mean thrice what they're worth?
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 5:58 pm

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mentalist
Don't you mean thrice what they're worth?
First of all, in response to your other comment, the Arse were hardly thumped today.

Secondly, though I suspect it is all a lot of hot air, Arsenal is one of the few remaining football brands that might actually be worth that kind of money though not, of course, for their on-pitch performances. They have a huge fan base in Africa and Asia as they were peaking just at the time that Premier League football started being regularly televised in those markets. They also have a genuine history and a record of (relatively) recent success unlike Man City. The fact that they are known for not playing in the same style as many other English teams (nor any longer in the George Graham 1-0 blah blah style, thank Arsene) actually gives them very wide appeal.

The only other potentially available club with similar pedigree is Liverpool.

Having said all that, I desperately hope this is all hogwash and that this doesn't come off. I prefer honourable mediocrity (with occasional flashes of genius) to being the next great whores of football. It does not bode well for the long term health of the game. If this keeps going we won't need to bother about where and when the 2022 world cup is played because few will be interested any longer.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
First of all, in response to your other comment, the Arse were hardly thumped today.

Secondly, though I suspect it is all a lot of hot air, Arsenal is one of the few remaining football brands that might actually be worth that kind of money though not, of course, for their on-pitch performances. They have a huge fan base in Africa and Asia as they were peaking just at the time that Premier League football started being regularly televised in those markets. They also have a genuine history and a record of (relatively) recent success unlike Man City. The fact that they are known for not playing in the same style as many other English teams (nor any longer in the George Graham 1-0 blah blah style, thank Arsene) actually gives them very wide appeal.

Having said all that, I desperately hope this is all hogwash and that this doesn't come off. I prefer honourable mediocrity (with occasional flashes of genius) to being the next great whores of football. It does not bode well for the long term health of the game. If this keeps going we won't need to bother about where and when the 2022 world cup is played because few will be interested any longer.
Agree - who knows what a football team is worth these days? When the Glazers took over Manchester United, they paid - what was it? - 800 million? What's that worth now?

Interesting that part of the rumoured 'deal' would be a reduction in ticket prices........
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Shine on, shine on Harvey Moon...
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

While I agree on your points ref recent success, history style of play etc, I still don't see how that would make them worth nowhere near £1.5Bn. There are many English clubs who have 'history' of some kind of another - Notts Forest, Leeds etc etc but I'm sure that doesn't add to much. Liverpool have loads of it but they aren't worth that much.

Recent success..... nothing for 7/8 seasons and only a splattering in the decade before that. At the end of the day in the hard world of business it is down to assets and debt, therefore the stadium and the players along plus the £250m debt. After you arrive at that number do you start adding on for the romance, potential earnings, fan base, history etc etc.

Currently, Arsenal have a nice shiny new stadium, a quality manager (although an increasingly higher % of fans think needs to go) and 2/3 decent players and a lot of dross. Other than Wiltshire and maybe Theo & Carzola I couldn't see any of the other Big 6 coming in for any of the players. Giroud for instance is terrible.

IMO, the only teams that are in that kind of cash bracket are the likes of Barca, Real, United, Bayern etc. The heavyweights of European football. Arsenal unfortunately are no longer a heavyweight in the EPL let alone Europe.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

I never met anyone in Asia with the slightest interest in Arsenal. It was all Liverpool or Manyoo.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:50 am
N/A

Dumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond repute

While I agree on your points ref recent success, history style of play etc, I still don't see how that would make them worth nowhere near £1.5Bn. There are many English clubs who have 'history' of some kind of another - Notts Forest, Leeds etc etc but I'm sure that doesn't add to much. Liverpool have loads of it but they aren't worth that much.

Recent success..... nothing for 7/8 seasons and only a splattering in the decade before that. At the end of the day in the hard world of business it is down to assets and debt, therefore the stadium and the players along plus the £250m debt. After you arrive at that number do you start adding on for the romance, potential earnings, fan base, history etc etc.

Currently, Arsenal have a nice shiny new stadium, a quality manager (although an increasingly higher % of fans think needs to go) and 2/3 decent players and a lot of dross. Other than Wiltshire and maybe Theo & Carzola I couldn't see any of the other Big 6 coming in for any of the players. Giroud for instance is terrible.

IMO, the only teams that are in that kind of cash bracket are the likes of Barca, Real, United, Bayern etc. The heavyweights of European football. Arsenal unfortunately are no longer a heavyweight in the EPL let alone Europe.
I agree with your post, but it appears to be a sellers market, add to that the potential buyers are from the ME and the current owner can ask what he wants, they pay up or they walk away. Actual worth of the club has little relevance.

If I am happy in my house valued at 150k and someone knocks on the door and wants to buy it from me and offers 150k I say no, I will only sell for 250k take it or leave it. There is no pressure on me to sell I am very happy living there plus I know this buyer has stacks of money.

If 3billion is an actual realistic valuation for Man Utd then half that would not seem outrageous for Arsenal.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dumbo
I agree with your post, but it appears to be a sellers market, add to that the potential buyers are from the ME and the current owner can ask what he wants, they pay up or they walk away. Actual worth of the club has little relevance.

If I am happy in my house valued at 150k and someone knocks on the door and wants to buy it from me and offers 150k I say no, I will only sell for 250k take it or leave it. There is no pressure on me to sell I am very happy living there plus I know this buyer has stacks of money.

If 3billion is an actual realistic valuation for Man Utd then half that would not seem outrageous for Arsenal.
I agree with you in principle, I.e. something is worth what someone else is willing to pay, however, this theory does have it's limits. There are several more EPL or even Championship teams that have history, decent stadiums, a decent established following etc etc who could be bought up for a lot less and 'Cityfied' to get them onto the same level that Arsenal are at now. In terms of global following, you only have to see how many extra 'fans' both Barca and City, and Chelsea before that picked up after their 'windfall' to see that many football fans aren't of the diehard variety. As such, the addition of a few expensive players, some good marketing and a decent summer tour or two can boost a teams following massively.

I am also not really sure how much difference a large fan base in certain countries actually makes. A massive fan base in Africa can't bring in anywhere near as much as a small local fanbase.

Personally I doubt £3 billion is a realistic valuation of United, or Real or Barca. These figures seem to be growing exponentially season after season.

Back on topic, however, I think this is a bit of a non issue as as far as I can ascertain, the whole story is made up pish! Can you imagine Qataris and Emiratis working together on a project such as a football team where emotion and press perception are at the fore. It would be a disaster!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.