Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Qatar Undersea Tunnel to Connect West Bay with Airport

Qatar Undersea Tunnel to Connect West Bay with Airport

Old Apr 29th 2013, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

boyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant future
Default Qatar Undersea Tunnel to Connect West Bay with Airport

Haaaahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaaaaaahh...

"The third division of the project begins from Lusail with three lanes in each direction, amid a bridge and undersea tunnel leading to New Doha. All these lanes will join at one point under the sea off the Corniche."

...aaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhhhhh...

"The tunnel will have sub-lanes linking some key tourist destinations such as the Museum of Islamic Art, Doha Sheraton and Katara. The project also includes several entertainment venues for people using the tunnel."

http://www.constructarabia.com/const...-with-airport/

...aaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhhhhh...

I know we've all talked about this for years, it's not like the project has flown in under the radar, but it looks like they're seriously going to do it. It is basically going to be a Corniche under the sea.

The same Corniche on which this happened, except in a confined space.

If anyone thinks I'd ever use that tunnel given the standard of driving in Doha, the feasibility of any emergency response, and the level of wear in tear (plus 'pumping' vibration) on this city's roads, they are sorely mistaken.

But believe me, they would build it. And someone would take the State's money to build it. The day you see a jack-up platform in the Corniche Bay drilling test holes around Palm Island, you will know that the FEED is underway.

However, I would be very interested in getting my hands on the content of this feasibility report from COWI. The feasibility of travelling 10k across the bay over and under the sea does not appeal to me at all.

And I'm in construction!
Old Apr 29th 2013, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

boyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant future
Default Re: Qatar Undersea Tunnel to Connect West Bay with Airport

Alright, I'll B.E. this thread up, I've found the perfect song with which to present the project to stakeholders.

Under the sea
Under the sea
Darling it's better
Down where it's wetter
Take it from me
Up on the shore they work all day
Out in the sun they slave away
While we devotin'
Full time to floatin'
Under the sea
Old Apr 30th 2013, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't it have to be at least twenty metres long to qualify as a tunnel?
Old Apr 30th 2013, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by seven seas
Doesn't it have to be at least twenty metres long to qualify as a tunnel?
True, there are potholes deeper and longer than this in Doha.

Here's a video of one of the designs under consideration. I must say, I like how the camera inadvertently drives down the lanes like a Land Cruiser would.

YouTube

(I also like how the aerial photo captures the dun-ness of Doha.)
Old May 1st 2013, 3:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Looks awesome in the video.
Old May 1st 2013, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

So on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being a definite go, what is the likelyhood of this project and the end result being essentially similar to the CGI video?
Old May 1st 2013, 6:52 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 1st 2013, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Such cynicism indicates you've been in Qatar too long. Well, not really. It usually takes as long as 48 hours before cynicism kicks in....
Old May 1st 2013, 9:40 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Such cynicism indicates you've been in Qatar too long. Well, not really. It usually takes as long as 48 hours before cynicism kicks in....
I am ready for my holiday mate.......................