Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Qatar spearheading international Blasphemy law

Qatar spearheading international Blasphemy law

Old Oct 6th 2013, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Qatar spearheading international Blasphemy law

The country that profits from widespread slavery and human trafficking is pushing for an International Blasphemy law that will prosecute persons alleged to have criticised religion (and we all know they mean Islam) and the prophets EVEN if they are outside of the country.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/qatar/...fted-1.1238319

..and they have the nerve to say it does not infringe on Freedom of Speech. Thats like a regime passing a law allowing for only 1 political party then claiming the law does not infringe on democrasy.

Now the real question is will Euro nations and Cameroon bend over for the Arabs and prosecute their own citizens who live in the UK and Europe.

If only a big name celeb or sports personality starts a boycot Qatar WC.
Old Oct 6th 2013, 4:59 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qatar spearheading international Blasphemy law

This is old news, and Qatar isn't the only Islamic state that has been pushing at the UN for an international blasphemy law of some form or another.

Qatar is already funding 'rebels' in Syria and like their Saudi buddies have pumped a lot of dosh into the West to fund Islamic schools so that a few Muslims as possible integrate into the infidel West they live in.

N.
Old Oct 6th 2013, 5:27 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Old Oct 6th 2013, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
This is old news, and Qatar isn't the only Islamic state that has been pushing at the UN for an international blasphemy law of some form or another.

Qatar is already funding 'rebels' in Syria and like their Saudi buddies have pumped a lot of dosh into the West to fund Islamic schools so that a few Muslims as possible integrate into the infidel West they live in.

N.
Oh I know they (Muslim League) have been trying to pass a global Blasphemy law but this GN article is new and mentions current attemp by Qatar.
Old Oct 6th 2013, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Don't follow..
Old Oct 6th 2013, 11:47 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Oh I know they (Muslim League) have been trying to pass a global Blasphemy law but this GN article is new and mentions current attemp by Qatar.
I don't think anyone is going to take it seriously, how can Qatar try to prosecute statements by a foreign national, in a foreign country.

Even for example if I committed this act in Qatar then left to Europe, in order for Qatar to extradite me back to face charges first there should be some kind of extradition treaty between the two countries, and secondly the crime needs to exist as a law in the country being extradited from.

So basically no chance. Qatar's jurisdiction, despite what it may think, ends at its borders.

Maybe they could conduct a bunch of show trials with the defendant not present. Tried in absentia no less.

Last edited by weasel decentral; Oct 6th 2013 at 11:57 am.
Old Oct 6th 2013, 11:56 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

The country that profits from widespread slavery and human trafficking is pushing for an International Blasphemy law that will prosecute persons alleged to have criticised religion (and we all know they mean Islam) and the prophets EVEN if they are outside of the country.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/qatar/...fted-1.1238319

..and they have the nerve to say it does not infringe on Freedom of Speech. Thats like a regime passing a law allowing for only 1 political party then claiming the law does not infringe on democrasy.

Now the real question is will Euro nations and Cameroon bend over for the Arabs and prosecute their own citizens who live in the UK and Europe.

If only a big name celeb or sports personality starts a boycot Qatar WC.
It would be interesting to see if this works both ways.

"Therefore, the main goal of this law is to deter all forms of defamation of religions and give each country that ratifies it the right to file lawsuits against those who offend religions, even if they are not residents,”

Chip on the shoulder springs to mind.
Old Oct 6th 2013, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
It would be interesting to see if this works both ways.

"Therefore, the main goal of this law is to deter all forms of defamation of religions and give each country that ratifies it the right to file lawsuits against those who offend religions, even if they are not residents,”

Chip on the shoulder springs to mind.
Thats the thing ; what are the odds that Saudi and other Gulf clerics will be prosecuted for their demonisation of other religions.
Old Oct 6th 2013, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

redShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to all

Someone wrote a post here which I found interesting, it was about how the Qatar authority will deal football fans doing acts of blasphemy during the world cup in Doha.

I have a sophisticated idea of dealing with such a situation ( I’ve learnt this way of thinking from my stay in the west). Simply employ vigilante groups and let them pose as foreign football fans rooming the streets and looking for trouble makers who’ve come to do blasphemy acts. Once found engage them in a street fight so the police can come in and beat the hell out of them in a pretext of bringing the situation under control.
Old Oct 6th 2013, 2:08 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redShark
Someone wrote a post here which I found interesting, it was about how the Qatar authority will deal football fans doing acts of blasphemy during the world cup in Doha.

I have a sophisticated idea of dealing with such a situation ( I’ve learnt this way of thinking from my stay in the west). Simply employ vigilante groups and let them pose as foreign football fans rooming the streets and looking for trouble makers who’ve come to do blasphemy acts. Once found engage them in a street fight so the police can come in and beat the hell out of them in a pretext of bringing the situation under control.
Slipping in wind up quality 2.5/10
Old Oct 6th 2013, 2:54 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Slipping in wind up quality 2.5/10
Yes second poor quality one today. Have aliens abducted the real red fishie?
Old Oct 6th 2013, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vigilante Qataris? I doubt they will be able to go toe to toe with German or Polish or other Euro soccer yobs; I mean they would need to actually exert some effort
Old Oct 6th 2013, 8:53 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Vigilante Qataris? I doubt they will be able to go toe to toe with German or Polish or other Euro soccer yobs; I mean they would need to actually exert some effort
Brandishing their manbags and hitching up their thobes to reveal steel toe-capped sandals. Intimidating.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 4:23 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Not many GCC nationals are physically capable of fighting a group of Northern European football hooligans in a street fight...they might be dead before the police arrive to break it up.

N.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Brandishing their manbags and hitching up their thobes to reveal steel toe-capped sandals. Intimidating.
And lots of screaming and slapping people with slippers...terrifying.

N.