British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Public Transport in the UAE (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/public-transport-uae-713737/)

Paracletus Apr 18th 2011 12:57 pm

Public Transport in the UAE

Woohoo...it's on it's way over to see if it's gonna be road legal and certified. But really..a 'limousine bus'?

http://images.gizmag.com/hero/superbus.jpg

Project website: http://www.superbusproject.com/

Tillybean Apr 19th 2011 6:21 am

Re: Public Transport in the UAE

We had this at our offices yesterday - very very nice. Hope it becomes a reality.

Meow Apr 19th 2011 7:02 am

Can it get around corners? :confused:

Patsy Stoned Apr 19th 2011 8:41 am

Nice to hire for a party :D

Norm_uk Apr 19th 2011 8:46 am

Because the new buses they have here which are used the world over and work just fine aren't enough!

N.

kittycat1 Apr 19th 2011 8:51 am

really- thats a bus? It doesnt look very tall- how do you walk down the aisle to get to your seat or am i just thinking normal bus and should be thinking batman bus?

littlejimmy Apr 19th 2011 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 9313534)
Because the new buses they have here which are used the world over and work just fine aren't enough!

N.

Come on. The locals aren't going to be seen dead on a normal bus.

Brains1983 Apr 19th 2011 9:47 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9313538)
really- thats a bus? It doesnt look very tall- how do you walk down the aisle to get to your seat or am i just thinking normal bus and should be thinking batman bus?

i think seat has it's own door, I saw a similar idea online a few weeks ago.

never gonna happen anyway.

Boomhauer Apr 19th 2011 9:51 am

Completely impractical as public transport, unless it is transport for tourits/persons for whom transport fare is not an issue.

It isn't a bus. A bus has an aisle and one can stand upright. This thing is just a fancy stretched limo. The length of the vehicle appears much longer than most buses, so turning even with all wheel steer is going to be an issue.

Tillybean Apr 19th 2011 9:51 am

Its got a lot of doors to get into it and no central isle, so whilst its quite low, its still a good 1.5m tall. Basically the door opens and you get directly into your seat.

To get round corners, its got two sets of rear wheels which make it very manouverable.

I have to say it looked pretty damn good yesterday.

Bahtatboy Apr 19th 2011 12:05 pm

Don't knock it. If you were to superimpose an image of a normal coach on it, the wheelbase would be about the same--so its just as good (or bad) from that perspective. And by making it of super-light material with lots of solar panels, the chances are it would be more fuel-efficient than many of the other means of transport between, say, Abu Dhabi and Dubai.

Why not?

kittycat1 Apr 19th 2011 12:12 pm

I say give it a spoiler and bigger wheels, so it looks like a big batmobile. oo and lights underneath it so it glows as it goes along

Paracletus Apr 19th 2011 12:31 pm

It's got a turn radii of approximately 10m I remember reading somewhere. I suppose the word 'bus' is somewhat misleading..but mini buses don't technically have aisles, and they are used as 'buses'. It's not going to be the disaster that Top Gears Mini limousine was, which had a turning radius of about 4 kilometers.

But get this thing on pimp my ride and give it a proper Dubai feel. All chrome, bigger wheels, more lights, and drive it around corners and down the highway on 3 wheels. It be a rockin'.

Also, the gull wing doors all open independently. Looks a bit odd with all the doors open. Question is, is teh ride going to be comfortable..? I'd much prefer this than a local bus with other sweaty stinky persons around. I mean, does anyone here never feel dirty after taking the tube and dash home for a shower for good measures?

Tillybean Apr 19th 2011 12:41 pm

Its powered by electricity - the solar panels are not on the bus, but rather the bus is plugged into the grid to recharge - which is connected to the panels. Hence why it was at our place to charge.

Boomhauer Apr 19th 2011 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9313801)
Don't knock it. If you were to superimpose an image of a normal coach on it, the wheelbase would be about the same--so its just as good (or bad) from that perspective. And by making it of super-light material with lots of solar panels, the chances are it would be more fuel-efficient than many of the other means of transport between, say, Abu Dhabi and Dubai.

Why not?

A luxury coach maybee..but coaches have stand up room, restrooms and aisles to walk.

Instead of 2 or 3 doors, this has a door for each row of seats. To recoup the investment, the fare charged would be out of reach of blue collar workers, folks most likely to use public transport.