British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Psychometric Tests (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/psychometric-tests-809019/)

LaLaLayla Sep 12th 2013 7:58 am

Psychometric Tests

Hi everyone, a question... do you think psychometric tests have got harder over the years? When I sat the entrance tests for ADIA I did brilliantly well on the Numerical Reasoning part. However, I sat a similar test this week and flunked spectacularly. I am wondering if it is me, or if these things have got harder.

I have been looking on the internet since and have found a test which is marginally easier than the one I sat and I would be very interested to hear how you lot fair on this test... if you've got a spare 20 mins.

http://www.practiceaptitudetests.com...asoning-tests/

weasel decentral Sep 12th 2013 8:52 am

Re: Psychometric Tests

I had a crack at it and to be honest I got bored of it after 6 or 7 minutes but anyhow for what it's worth I had answered 12 of them correct at that stage.
Seems easy to be honest but then again I am an engineer so I have the numerical ability to compensate for lack of personality.

It's just practice required if you are a little rusty because they are all basic sums. Oh I used a calculator for a few of them which may have made me faster, perhaps you had to do them by hand.

LaLaLayla Sep 12th 2013 9:07 am

Well done, weasel decentral. I think I had only done about 5 by then.

nottmbantam Sep 12th 2013 9:15 am

I'm trained and experienced in the use of PTs, so perhaps looking at it from a different angle. I've only ever used SHL products, so can't comment on others. SHL do have different versions aimed at differing professions and levels, so the levels do get tougher for certain ability tests.

They will change the tests every few years to update them and of course that avoids "habitual users" from learning the tests. Did you take the same 'level' of test that you in the past?

LaLaLayla Sep 12th 2013 9:25 am

No, the ADIA one was so much easier and the other 2 people doing the same test at ADIA were bankers. We all did the same test. And it was easy. And I killed it.

I think the tests have got harder. I was just a bit worried about it because I had a medical emergency a year ago, and I wondered if some of my brain had been starved of oxygen and that is why I was struggling with the test this time around :(

nottmbantam Sep 12th 2013 9:36 am

Yes, not all PT's are the same - some you will find tougher than others, but then, it is meant to 'test' you. Literally!! :)

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 12th 2013 9:53 am

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla (Post 10897188)
Hi everyone, a question... do you think psychometric tests have got harder over the years? When I sat the entrance tests for ADIA I did brilliantly well on the Numerical Reasoning part. However, I sat a similar test this week and flunked spectacularly. I am wondering if it is me, or if these things have got harder.

I have been looking on the internet since and have found a test which is marginally easier than the one I sat and I would be very interested to hear how you lot fair on this test... if you've got a spare 20 mins.

http://www.practiceaptitudetests.com...asoning-tests/

I really wouldn't worry.

PT's are good for some things but cannot be the be all / end all because the whole world doesn't regard them as useful / interesting.

Sandboy Sep 12th 2013 10:05 am

surely that's just a maths test ?

I hate numbers, that's why we have accountants with gold rimmed glasses and bad breath, I stopped after 2 ( but got them right )

weasel decentral Sep 12th 2013 11:11 am

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla (Post 10897241)
Well done, weasel decentral. I think I had only done about 5 by then.

Ha it wasn't meant to be some kind of bragging post, but they just seemed very simplistic. If you were working with figures every day I am sure it would seem the same to you.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 12th 2013 11:21 am

I had a click and got the first few right, but was using a calc.

Things like that always appear to be more of a test of your reasoning and breaking down of something. Not just, how much was this...they're usually multiple stage answers. I quite like them.

I interviewed at a recruitment firm once, they had a maths and English test. I got halfway through the maths one (if we charge the client 10.00 per hour and pay the candidate 8.00 an hour, how much will we make in a 48 hour week....type questions) when she gave me a calculator....that was awkward.

Even better was the English one; "There are 24 mistakes in this, find them".

I found 25 and apparently it wasn't a trick, she hadn't actually noticed, it was something silly like a town not having a capital letter.

Didn't take that job...

britexpat76 Sep 12th 2013 11:48 am

I did the 1st ten and ran out of time. May too many people disturbing my peace today especially when I am trying to sneek off to the booze shop when I get 5 minutes.

Sandboy Sep 12th 2013 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10897495)
I did the 1st ten and ran out of time. May too many people disturbing my peace today especially when I am trying to sneek off to the booze shop when I get 5 minutes.

:D an essential skill

weasel decentral Sep 12th 2013 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10897495)

If there are 3 crates of beer A on offer for $x with an alcohol content of 4.5% and 4 crates of beer B on offer for $x with an alcohol content of 3.8%.

Both come with a free bottle of Jagermeister calculate the odds of you hugging the toilet by midnight for both beer A and beer B.

Bahtatboy Sep 13th 2013 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10897577)
If there are 3 crates of beer A on offer for $x with an alcohol content of 4.5% and 4 crates of beer B on offer for $x with an alcohol content of 3.8%.

Both come with a free bottle of Jagermeister calculate the odds of you hugging the toilet by midnight for both beer A and beer B.

Mackerel

kittycat1 Sep 14th 2013 8:52 am

I've never had to do anything like this. I did question 1- got an answer that wasn't in the multiple choice- did it again- got the same answer- guessed, moved onto question 2- decided im not that bothered and accept that I am a simpleton.