British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Proud to be a northerner (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/proud-northerner-834797/)

Rubydo May 25th 2014 5:41 pm

Proud to be a northerner

Just thought I would share that I am proud of where I am from, especially when my hometown football club have just had a rightly deserved promotion :) . Up the Millers

OleJanx May 25th 2014 8:11 pm

Re: Proud to be a northerner

Originally Posted by Rubydo (Post 11275346)
Just thought I would share that I am proud of where I am from, especially when my hometown football club have just had a rightly deserved promotion :) . Up the Millers

I just thought I would share that most people don't give a shit.

Rubydo May 26th 2014 3:18 am

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 11275446)
I just thought I would share that most people don't give a shit.

Then don't read the post and reply to it!

scrubbedexpat141 May 26th 2014 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Rubydo (Post 11275346)

Who are the Millers?

(No, I can't be bothered to google it ;))

Rubydo May 26th 2014 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11275794)
Who are the Millers?

(No, I can't be bothered to google it ;))

Rotherham United, they played Leyton Orient yesterday at Wembley to get the promotion to league 1- won on penalties :-)

scrubbedexpat141 May 26th 2014 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Rubydo (Post 11275801)
Rotherham United, they played Leyton Orient yesterday at Wembley to get the promotion to league 1- won on penalties :-)

League 1 is where dreams are made. It was the bottom of the floor for the mighty Saints so good luck next season!

Rubydo May 26th 2014 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11275806)
League 1 is where dreams are made. It was the bottom of the floor for the mighty Saints so good luck next season!

Thanks, it's going to be tough but they've had a really good season just gone so fingers crossed. Thanks for not being rude like the person above!

scrubbedexpat141 May 26th 2014 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Rubydo (Post 11275807)
Thanks, it's going to be tough but they've had a really good season just gone so fingers crossed. Thanks for not being rude like the person above!

Ah he's alright, he's quite helpful if you need pointers on things in the Middle East.

We're all quite rude here, in fact, I've got to be top-10 at times.

You in the UAE or elsewhere in this dump of a region?

Millhouse May 26th 2014 7:19 am

I guess you guys have to hold on to something.

Rubydo May 26th 2014 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11275810)
Ah he's alright, he's quite helpful if you need pointers on things in the Middle East.

We're all quite rude here, in fact, I've got to be top-10 at times.

You in the UAE or elsewhere in this dump of a region?

Suppose we can all be rude at times but there was no need to read and comment if u don't give a shit! Pointless- my guess maybe a sore loser!

I am in the UAE- abu dhabi and yourself?

scrubbedexpat141 May 26th 2014 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Rubydo (Post 11275820)
Suppose we can all be rude at times but there was no need to read and comment if u don't give a shit! Pointless- my guess maybe a sore loser!

I am in the UAE- abu dhabi and yourself?

Dubai. You new to the area or been lurking on this forum for years?

Rubydo May 26th 2014 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11275824)
Dubai. You new to the area or been lurking on this forum for years?

Been in AD 4years but new to the forum

mentalist May 26th 2014 8:09 am

Other than Barnsley and Corby, I reckon Rotherham is one of the ugliest towns I have ever visited. Does it have any redeeming features?

Bahtatboy May 26th 2014 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Rubydo (Post 11275715)
Then don't read the post and reply to it!

Actually I'm surprised you only got one negative response. First post on here, and I dare say many would read it as "I'm better than you". Perhaps many gave you the benefit of the doubt. Or couldn't give a toss.

I'm gutted that The Shrimpers didn't make it through the playoffs. Not surprised, just gutted.

Anyway, welcome :D

Pride is an inwardly directed emotion that carries two common meanings. With a negative connotation, pride refers to an inflated sense of one's personal status or accomplishments, often used synonymously with hubris. With a positive connotation, pride refers to a satisfied sense of attachment toward one's own or another's choices and actions, or toward a whole group of people, and is a product of praise, independent self-reflection, or a fulfilled feeling of belonging. Philosophers and social psychologists have noted that pride is a complex secondary emotion which requires the development of a sense of self and the mastery of relevant conceptual distinctions (e.g., that pride is distinct from happiness and joy) through language-based interaction with others. Some social psychologists identify it as linked to a signal of high social status. In contrast pride could also be defined as a disagreement with the truth. One definition of pride in the first sense comes from St. Augustine: "the love of one's own excellence". In this sense, the opposite of pride is either humility or guilt; the latter in particular being a sense of one's own failure in contrast to Augustine's notion of excellence.

Millhouse May 26th 2014 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 11275869)
Actually I'm surprised you only got one negative response. First post on here, and I dare say many would read it as "I'm better than you". Perhaps many gave you the benefit of the doubt. Or couldn't give a toss.

I'm gutted that The Shrimpers didn't make it through the playoffs. Not surprised, just gutted.

Anyway, welcome :D

Pride is an inwardly directed emotion that carries two common meanings. With a negative connotation, pride refers to an inflated sense of one's personal status or accomplishments, often used synonymously with hubris. With a positive connotation, pride refers to a satisfied sense of attachment toward one's own or another's choices and actions, or toward a whole group of people, and is a product of praise, independent self-reflection, or a fulfilled feeling of belonging. Philosophers and social psychologists have noted that pride is a complex secondary emotion which requires the development of a sense of self and the mastery of relevant conceptual distinctions (e.g., that pride is distinct from happiness and joy) through language-based interaction with others. Some social psychologists identify it as linked to a signal of high social status. In contrast pride could also be defined as a disagreement with the truth. One definition of pride in the first sense comes from St. Augustine: "the love of one's own excellence". In this sense, the opposite of pride is either humility or guilt; the latter in particular being a sense of one's own failure in contrast to Augustine's notion of excellence.

I thought pride was a drink.