Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Proposing in (or around) Dubai

Proposing in (or around) Dubai

Old Aug 7th 2014, 6:00 am
Bothered

kungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud of
Default Proposing in (or around) Dubai

Morning all.

When it comes to romantic gestures I am pretty useless. In this particular field my creativity extends no further than dinner, flowers and the occasional weekend away.

With all of my girlfriend's close friends married and settled with children, the focus and speculation surrounding our engagement has been rife for the past year.

I'd like to give my partner the special proposal I know part of her longs for and a "story" for her to tell her family and friends that will do our engagement justice and that she can reminisce over for years to come. Let me make it clear that that is my choice; if I was to get down on one knee in Subway on a Saturday morning with a hangover she would still be utterly thrilled. She's a good girl.

I appreciate its difficult to make meaningful suggestions without knowing either of us but I would really appreciate some general ideas to get me started...! If not specifically in Dubai, suggestions on locations a short international flight away are also welcome...

Some background info that might help:

Both lived in Dubai for 5 years
Both travelled extensively "locally" (Maldives, Goa etc.)
Hobbies include diving, animal welfare, eating and we are keen travellers
Both recently turned 30
Both on good salaries
Both fit and healthy (ish)

I already have the ring and almost proposed in Malaysia last week, but the timing just wasnt right (much to everyone's dismay!) due to her falling sick with mild food poisoning.

Some of you may think its weird to ask strangers on the internet but I find the impartial advice refreshing and this forum has been really boring lately so get involved if you have any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

KPD

Last edited by kungpowdow; Aug 7th 2014 at 6:01 am. Reason: Typo
Old Aug 7th 2014, 6:44 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proposing in (or around) Dubai

congratulations on deciding to take the big step.
do you want it to be an elaborate surprise plan where all your friends / family show up just as she says yes or you just want it to be the two of you with no one around?
Old Aug 7th 2014, 6:48 am
Bothered

kungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud of

Thank you.

It would be just the two of us; I'd like us to enjoy the moment as a couple initially and as a family later.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 7:14 am
N/A

Dumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly congratulations it sounds like you have the right girl and your both at a good age. I was apprehensive about marriage but after 7 happy years I am glad I went for it.

Now I am not romantic at all, but if it was me and money wasn't a problem I would talk to the Burj Al Arab and book a nice suite, organise the white limo service and see if I could get access to the helipad. Maybe a bit cliche but I find most romantic gestures are.

Edit - I notice you both dive, have you considered doing it under water either in a tank or out at sea? Proposing that is.

Last edited by Dumbo; Aug 7th 2014 at 7:18 am.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 7:40 am

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Well there are only 2 ways to go if in the UAE :
1. The desert
2. The beach

Everyone has their own preference I guess but I think few things are as majestic as a sunrise in the desert. If you can manage to sneak a high quality camera with a tripod and set it up without her knowing it, leave it on so it can capture the moment, now THAT would be a coup!
Old Aug 7th 2014, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

underwater proposal?
Old Aug 7th 2014, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
underwater proposal?
veeeeeeery difficult to stay on ones knees underwater my friend, veeeeeeehehehery difficult

and NO, I am NOT talking from personal experience!!
Old Aug 7th 2014, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely take her up the Burj Khalifa.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute

Go and do a freefall/parachute jump at Sky Dubai.

Make sure your the first one at the door - teeter on the edge, pop the question and then fall/jump out without hearing the answer... she then has to catch you up on the way down and say (hopefully) yes.

Have champagne and flowers waiting at the bottom along with someone with a camera.

oh and the ring of course.
________

As mentioned above, you both dive... go and bury a note with the question... tell her you two are going on a treasure hunt, make sure she finds the buried note.
______

Go for a romantic walk along a beach somewhere - throughout your travels do you have a favourite place? Get someone (or you) before hand to strategically place a 'message in a bottle' - this bottle is lapping against the shore line as you walk along - point it out, get her to read it... actually wasn't that in a film?
Old Aug 7th 2014, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csdf
Definitely take her up the Burj Khalifa.
isn't that illegal in this part of the world?
Old Aug 7th 2014, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
veeeeeeery difficult to stay on ones knees underwater my friend, veeeeeeehehehery difficult

and NO, I am NOT talking from personal experience!!
bit of extra weight in BCD. no worries except she may drown from shock!
Old Aug 7th 2014, 9:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Banyan Tree / Bab Al Helmet / Zighy Bay, over dinner?
Underwater sounds tough but pretty cool?
Sunset / Sunrise in the desert?
Somewhere (hotel / restaurant / beach / bar etc) that you two go together or went years ago and haven't been back to?
Old Aug 7th 2014, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Rockafellas, Blootered, 2AM Saturday morning. Not to dissimilar to my own engagement...
Old Aug 7th 2014, 9:39 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

I would prefer a simple lets get married...would hate any elaborate stuff!
Old Aug 7th 2014, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

JamesandTamsin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
underwater proposal?
This is how I proposed to my wife!

In St Lucia - scuba diving. All pre arranged with the dive master. I had it photographed too - would have sprung for a video but the chap let me down at the last minute...

I had two placards made up which read "will you marry me" on one side and "yes" on the other. (No wasn't an option )

All went swimmingly (pun intended). It needs a fair bit of planning but it's doable and different...

Last edited by JamesandTamsin; Aug 7th 2014 at 11:50 am. Reason: Addition of photos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.