Proper Camera Shop

Old Oct 21st 2010, 6:29 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Proper Camera Shop

In Dubai or AD. Not just an electronics store, but a proper, full-blown camera shop. Anybody know of one?

Old Oct 21st 2010, 7:04 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proper Camera Shop

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
In Dubai or AD. Not just an electronics store, but a proper, full-blown camera shop. Anybody know of one?

Nothing really proper - if you like Nikon then Grand Stores are sort of ok for some lenses, bodies, filters etc

Depends what you after.
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah lenses and basic filters are ok at Grand Stores but they generally lack knowledge in there.

I'd also be interested in finding somewhere but just don't have the time to be cruising the streets of the Dark Side of town.

Guess the only other options is importing from the States.
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

I generally buy Olympus kit, they have a shop in Dubai Mall but for any obscure pieces you need to order. I had a quote from them for a load of underwater gear and then a week later they put the prices up 25%. I told them to stick it and ordered from Seattle in the US. Saved myself about 40% even after delivery and customs fee.
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 12:14 pm
Expat Brat

K8-notlate has a spectacular aura aboutK8-notlate has a spectacular aura aboutK8-notlate has a spectacular aura about

Seriously - buy off the internet and contact ARAMEX for their Shop&Ship service - I literally buy everything online now - can't be arsed with the stores here they are useless.
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by K8-notlate
Seriously - buy off the internet and contact ARAMEX for their Shop&Ship service - I literally buy everything online now - can't be arsed with the stores here they are useless.
I've heard a lot about this. How do rates compare to the others and also direct shipping? Obviously in most of the states you get free delivery so i assume you'd get this then all you pay is the aramex fee from their unit over there?

I should really get onto this but i never know what delivery address to give. I could choose the apartment but they always want to deliver at stupid times. Can't choose work as its impossible to find being a site office.
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 12:54 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CeeBee
I've heard a lot about this. How do rates compare to the others and also direct shipping? Obviously in most of the states you get free delivery so i assume you'd get this then all you pay is the aramex fee from their unit over there?

I should really get onto this but i never know what delivery address to give. I could choose the apartment but they always want to deliver at stupid times. Can't choose work as its impossible to find being a site office.
I've used ShopnShip for years and always found them reasonably reliable. Not the cheapest but they always call before attempting to deliver and happy to deliver either to home or work. Costs depend on weight; 69 AED per kg but cheaper the heavier you go (10kg 609 AED).

You get a postal address in the UK and in the US.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 5:51 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. Ended up in Dubai Mall at the weekend--little stock, less knowledge and prices higher than in UK. I think on-line is the way to go, or wait till I get back to UK and try to buy vat-free.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 6:12 am
Expat Brat

K8-notlate has a spectacular aura aboutK8-notlate has a spectacular aura aboutK8-notlate has a spectacular aura about

Thanks guys. Ended up in Dubai Mall at the weekend--little stock, less knowledge and prices higher than in UK. I think on-line is the way to go, or wait till I get back to UK and try to buy vat-free.
Even with the VAT it would be cheaper than the UK - Dad visited in January and we went to Canon shop at Dubai Mall looking for EOS 500D - in Dubai was 5000+ AED - back home, was around 3000 AED including good lens, bag, spare memory card, etc. He was shocked at the prices.

However, an alternate would be to look at Dubizzle - they've got some good offers there, so might be worth a look see.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 6:21 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Electronics are generally more expensive in DXB than back home, but I did buy a Canon EOS 550D out here - it was one of the few items that was priced comparable to the UK.

Saleem at Wafi have a decent camera section and I'm told that the clerks are rather knowledgeable.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 4:14 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

What are the warranty issues - I remember buying a camera in HK when I was living in the UK and had no end of a problem with it. Is UAE waranty different too
Old Oct 24th 2010, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bijilo123
What are the warranty issues - I remember buying a camera in HK when I was living in the UK and had no end of a problem with it. Is UAE waranty different too
it is fair to assume that you don't get a warranty in the UAE.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
I think it is fairer to say you don't often get a warranty that is valid worldwide here, but most electronic/photographic items offer a UAE warranty....for one year.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

White goods are generally a bit cheaper in the UAE, like for like.

And bargains are to be had on Dubizzle....We just got a Bosch fridge/freezer which retails for around 5,500 drhms for 2,700. Still with all the original plastic wrappings.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
I did when i bought my Nikon.....however i'd have to be residing in Holland to be able to use it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.