Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Problems with previous employer - please help

Wikiposts

Problems with previous employer - please help

Old Sep 29th 2013, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problems with previous employer - please help

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
That's not really true though, I don't let anyone get a final pay off until I have their final release form signed.
It usually states that they have agreed everything on the sheet (re salary, EOSB, returned all equipment etc)
Yeah, I've done all of that. I have signed a Confidentiality Agreement, returned all equipment, etc. This is an extra thing.
Old Sep 29th 2013, 1:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla
They are not allowed to do what they are doing, so I am writing them a letter...

Dear [name of employer],

I have still not received the Severance Agreement. However, I have since taken legal advice and am reliably informed that it is ILLEGAL to coerce somebody into signing a Severance Agreement by withholding their salary. As such, if my salary is not in my bank account by 5pm tomorrow, I shall be taking legal action through the DIFC courts. I shall also be escalating this through the [name of employers] organization as the behavior of your team in relation to my salary, my Visa and my Health Insurance is completely unacceptable.

Regards,

Layla 'Don't F*&ck With Me' LaLa
Straight to File 13.
Old Sep 29th 2013, 2:14 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I've done all of that. I have signed a Confidentiality Agreement, returned all equipment, etc. This is an extra thing.
Just go down and talk to them, swallow a bit of the anger until you get it all sorted. Letters from you will be counter-productive in my opinion, especially ones with ultimatums that realistically no one will actually take seriously.

It's a pain but if you were in the opposite position and received something similar do you think it would make you rush out to deposit the salary into their account?
(It reminds me of the semi contractual/ attempted legal instruction type letters I get from project management companies)
Old Sep 29th 2013, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Just go down and talk to them, swallow a bit of the anger until you get it all sorted. Letters from you will be counter-productive in my opinion, especially ones with ultimatums that realistically no one will actually take seriously.

It's a pain but if you were in the opposite position and received something similar do you think it would make you rush out to deposit the salary into their account?
(It reminds me of the semi contractual/ attempted legal instruction type letters I get from project management companies)
Yeah, you're right. Bit difficult when they won't see me / send me the letter / pay me... but yeah, you're right.
Old Sep 29th 2013, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Just email the president of the company darling..stating that you are going to see the legal advice team at the DIFC courts on the 21st of October and that it would be nice if this was sorted out before then.
Old Sep 29th 2013, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

LaLa,
If the form/letter they are asking you to sign is the visa cancellation letter, you are well within your rights not to sign it.

The wording on the letter is to the effect "I have received my final settlement from the company and agree it" so if you have not received that final salary then you shouldn't sign it.

I think you will have problems around the agreeing not to work your month's notice thing but being paid, do you have all that in writing?

I agree with talking to someone specialized in DIFC law

good luck!
Old Sep 29th 2013, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

So, I did send the email to Director of HR stating that if I didn't get my salary today, I would be escalating the matter. Heard nothing back from her, but got a text this morning from the Visa girl saying: "Please pass by the office today to sign the cancellation paper.". I assue she means the one that says "I have received all dues". WTF? Do they think I am completely mad?

Typical Mc****** passive-aggressive behaviour
Old Sep 29th 2013, 5:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

So, I did send the email to Director of HR stating that if I didn't get my salary today, I would be escalating the matter. Heard nothing back from her, but got a text this morning from the Visa girl saying: "Please pass by the office today to sign the cancellation paper.". I assue she means the one that says "I have received all dues". WTF? Do they think I am completely mad?

Typical Mc****** passive-aggressive behaviour
I signed my settlement before getting it....They said it was to cancel my visa and that my money would come on payday (I received no basic pay for my notice, but got the commission instead).

I was comfortable doing it because it was a good pal who was office manager, have they said that once you sign it you'll get the cash money etc?

Maybe go by and see the visa lady and just ask where the cheque is. Ask her why you should sign something to say you've received it if you haven't go it? When you get the inevitable blank stare then try and see someone else?
Old Sep 29th 2013, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scamp
When you get the inevitable blank stare then try and see someone else?
I have run out of people, Scamp. McK looks after its own. They close ranks and there's nothing you can do
Old Sep 29th 2013, 6:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I have run out of people, Scamp. McK looks after its own. They close ranks and there's nothing you can do
What about just signing it then? Just swallow the anger and get it done. ONce it's signed you can then say you've done everything for them and hold your hand out for a cheque and passports etc.
Old Sep 29th 2013, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scamp
What about just signing it then? Just swallow the anger and get it done. ONce it's signed you can then say you've done everything for them and hold your hand out for a cheque and passports etc.
What, the Cancellation Document? This is not the same as the Severance Agreement. The Cancellation Document is to say that I have received all my dues, ie salary, etc. Well, I haven't.
Old Sep 29th 2013, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

What, the Cancellation Document? This is not the same as the Severance Agreement. The Cancellation Document is to say that I have received all my dues, ie salary, etc. Well, I haven't.
other people who have been through this before in auh have to sign the paper trusting them that you will get your money otherwise they will not cancel the visa etc etc. catch twentytwo
Old Sep 29th 2013, 6:53 pm
Account Closed

I'm a bit confused but I definitely signed one along those lines saying I'd received it all, so that they could do my visa transfer/cancellation.
Old Sep 29th 2013, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by busybee2
other people who have been through this before in auh have to sign the paper trusting them that you will get your money otherwise they will not cancel the visa etc etc. catch twentytwo
Fine. Am happy to stay under their sponsorship forever, if they want to be awkward.
Old Sep 29th 2013, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

So... all sorted? It's been a tough year what with the rent issues, house move and husband's visa...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.