British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Problems at the gulf airlines ?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/problems-gulf-airlines-890586/)

Ali84 Jan 24th 2017 5:46 pm

Problems at the gulf airlines ??

its been confirmed that James Hogan the CEO at Etihad is "stepping Down" as is his CFO are we seeing the start of more issues at the big 3 gulf airlines?
Etihad CEO James Hogan to Step Down as Abu Dhabi Reviews Airline Strategy - WSJ
i hope al-baker at qatar is next!

DXBtoDOH Jan 25th 2017 4:03 am

Re: Problems at the gulf airlines ??

Why?

I know nothing.

I like Qatar better than Emirates these days (for the most part). More generous baggage allowance and Qatar's DXB-DOH shuttle fast track queue is a lifesaver.

TheShed Jan 25th 2017 6:50 am

Only rumors, but a number of people have told me there are large scale redundancies at EK this week. Been going on quietly for the last few weeks apparently.

Add to this the European carriers that are now exploring/expanding their direct EU-Asia/Australia flights, the business model here may be a little shaken.

Meow Jan 25th 2017 7:27 am

I know there are a lot of unhappy staff at all the UAE airlines, for many reasons. I imagine there is plenty of comment on the pprune boards.

Big_Show Jan 25th 2017 7:27 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12160727)
Why?

I know nothing.

I like Qatar better than Emirates these days (for the most part). More generous baggage allowance and Qatar's DXB-DOH shuttle fast track queue is a lifesaver.

Might even be quicker than the eGate queue now everybody can use it. Not been through the airport since then but I'm guessing it's still a bit chaotic when people haven't used it before...

IKnowNothing Jan 25th 2017 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 12160814)
I know there are a lot of unhappy staff at all the UAE airlines, for many reasons. I imagine there is plenty of comment on the pprune boards.

Not for EY though....

http://i65.tinypic.com/xpq89x.jpg

Guess they've had a warning.

Made in Sheffield 1 Jan 25th 2017 9:53 am

Still smarting after paying 400 dibs to pre book our seats and only getting 20kg luggage allowance because we booked the 'cheap' seats. Cheap, my arse.

Just looking forward to drinking the freebies to the value of the above in June.

Thairetired2016 Jan 25th 2017 11:37 am

I suddenly see EY office staff working for non-M.E. carriers where I live. Stopped using EY a few years ago due to their redemption system. They offer too few redemption seats. Why earn miles you can't redeem?

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 25th 2017 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 12160814)
I imagine there is plenty of comment on the pprune boards.

Loads. Had a read earlier, how entertaining.

Ali84 Jan 25th 2017 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12160727)
Why?

I know nothing.

I was chatting to one of my mates who is a airline analyst for one of the investment banks in the London, he said all the big gulf 3 are suffering from massive over capacity, over investment and over expansion, their business model is not sustainable long term and as others have noted EY and EK are starting a massive restructure so will see significant layoffs over 2017

Millhouse Jan 26th 2017 5:14 am

Originally Posted by Ali84 (Post 12161419)
I was chatting to one of my mates who is a airline analyst for one of the investment banks in the London, he said all the big gulf 3 are suffering from massive over capacity, over investment and over expansion, their business model is not sustainable long term and as others have noted EY and EK are starting a massive restructure so will see significant layoffs over 2017

sounds about right. EK is pretty much the only airline with A380s - the ultimate trophy aircraft.

And they are all coming up for their first heavy maintenance overhaul - a cost that no one knows how much it will be.

An before people correct me, and say BA, Singapore etc all have A380s. They have a few. EK is the only carrier with a true fleet of them.

EK has something like 100 A380s, everyone has something like 5-10.

IKnowNothing Jan 26th 2017 5:34 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12161944)

However, business in the bar on an A380 is a great way to fly.

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 26th 2017 5:38 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12161944)
sounds about right. EK is pretty much the only airline with A380s - the ultimate trophy aircraft.

And they are all coming up for their first heavy maintenance overhaul - a cost that no one knows how much it will be.

An before people correct me, and say BA, Singapore etc all have A380s. They have a few. EK is the only carrier with a true fleet of them.

Someone somewhere told me the 4 engines is overkill as well and the new Rolls Royce ones could fly it with two. Or something.

A380's are fantastic, Emirates less fantastic than in previous years...but still ahead of the competition.

Big_Show Jan 26th 2017 5:42 am

I like the A380s as I'm 6'4" and still get plenty of leg space in economy. Deliberately book my QA flight times to Heathrow to make sure I get one of them.

Millhouse Jan 26th 2017 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12161955)
Someone somewhere told me the 4 engines is overkill as well and the new Rolls Royce ones could fly it with two. Or something.

A380's are fantastic, Emirates less fantastic than in previous years...but still ahead of the competition.

They are brilliant for flying.

Terrible for landing unless your in business class as the airports cannot cope with the rush of passengers usually.

When you see A380s being run on 3 hour routes (Jeddah for instance) or quiet routes (DXB-Birmingham) you know they have an issue with overcapacity.