British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   A Pro-Dubai Article in the Daily Mail (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/pro-dubai-article-daily-mail-771085/)

mentalist Sep 10th 2012 5:15 am

A Pro-Dubai Article in the Daily Mail

A very rare event, finding something remotely positive about Dubai in the Daily Mail is almost as unusual as finding something positive about Man City and/or negative about their cross city rivals.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...d-emirate.html

Millhouse Sep 10th 2012 5:20 am

Re: A Pro-Dubai Article in the Daily Mail

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10272653)
A very rare event, finding something remotely positive about Dubai in the Daily Mail is almost as unusual as finding something positive about Man City and/or negative about their cross city rivals.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...d-emirate.html

Did they use a 6 year old ghost writer?

Millsyisland Sep 10th 2012 5:23 am

Sadly it reads like a holiday brochure - he's either written it to recompense a free stay there or to try to blag further freebies. Agree though, it's nice to read something positive for a change. The best bit I thought was the picture of Tom Cruise at the top of the Burj Khalifa - turned my stomach a little! I assume he must have something tied to his back that you can't see?

auzdafluff Sep 10th 2012 5:35 am

Woah woah woah. £959 pp for three nights? :blink:

Miss Anne Thrope Sep 10th 2012 5:47 am

It's not an article, it's a promo piece for Virgin holidays and all the various places mentioned with quotes lifted directly from their own ridiculously puffed-up promotional material.

I'm not a big rugby supporter (painfully scarred as a tight-head prop in catholic school) so I don't know anything about the purported author but he comes across as a major twat with this line:

Australia was one of my favourite destinations: it's just England, basically, but hot!

littlejimmy Sep 10th 2012 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Millsyisland (Post 10272662)
Sadly it reads like a holiday brochure - he's either written it to recompense a free stay there or to try to blag further freebies. Agree though, it's nice to read something positive for a change. The best bit I thought was the picture of Tom Cruise at the top of the Burj Khalifa - turned my stomach a little! I assume he must have something tied to his back that you can't see?

No, probably not. He's completely fearless. Does all his own stunts.

moneypenny20 Sep 10th 2012 7:13 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 10272719)
No, probably not. He's completely fearless. Does all his own stunts.

Shame he didn't fall. ****wit.

Meow Sep 10th 2012 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10272659)
Did they use a 6 year old ghost writer?

You'd think. What's with the every sentance is a paragraph thing? So badly written that I couldn't read it all, but he sounds awfully shallow and not very bright.

flares Sep 10th 2012 7:59 am

It's the time of year for 'What I did in the summer holidays'

He's got a good selection of photos though. I bet his mummy helped him.

littlejimmy Sep 10th 2012 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10272762)
You'd think. What's with the every sentance is a paragraph thing? So badly written that I couldn't read it all, but he sounds awfully shallow and not very bright.

To be fair he does chase eggs for a living.

Meow Sep 10th 2012 8:07 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 10272800)
To be fair he does chase eggs for a living.

And probably had a few knocks to the head...

Patsy Stoned Sep 10th 2012 8:39 am

This article was written in June!I thought it looked familiar :)

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 10th 2012 10:27 am

If it had been written by someone with a level of expectation then I'd understand the slating.

He's a sportsman. Notoriously they aren't bright. Leave him be, he's quite good and I'm sure this forum would be quick to verbally suck him off if he scored the winning try in a World Cup final.

Bahtatboy Sep 10th 2012 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10272949)
If it had been written by someone with a level of expectation then I'd understand the slating.

He's a sportsman. Notoriously they aren't bright. Leave him be, he's quite good and I'm sure this forum would be quick to verbally suck him off if he scored the winning try in a World Cup final.

Yeah, but you'd expect a reputable newspaper to at least edit it. Oh, hang on...

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 10th 2012 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10272969)
Yeah, but you'd expect a reputable newspaper to at least edit it. Oh, hang on...

True, I'd expect any newspaper to edit it but I had no expectations of quality when I saw who it was.