Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Prince Harry In The Shit.....

Prince Harry In The Shit.....

Old Jan 11th 2009, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prince Harry In The Shit.....

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
i think harry is great...but he must know better than to do this stuff, it's almost as if he is courting bad publicity...

MM, xx
Thought Harry was a bit of a jock airhead...
Old Jan 11th 2009, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bison
Prince Harry has been embroiled in a fresh race row after a video showing him using racist insults was obtained by the News Of The World.

Prince Harry in the video obtained by the News of the World

The newspaper reports that the tape was made by the third in line to the throne during his Army training.

It says the prince is heard calling one Asian trainee "our little Paki friend".

The newspaper reported that the videotape was shot by the prince as he was about to embark on training as a combat helicopter pilot in an airport for their flight to Cyprus.

Panning around the floor, over his bored or sleeping fellow trainees, he says: "This is luxury. And here is our first example of possibly how to admin yourself (meaning take care of yourself and your kit) in the terminal awaiting the RAF."

Focusing on his colleagues, Harry comments "now that is bad admin, bad admin" before it tracking over and zooming in on an Asian cadet yards away.

"Anybody else around here?" he asks. "Ah, our little Paki friend... Ahmed."

Ahmed is thought to be Ahmed Raza Khan, a Pakistani who won the award for the best overseas cadet at Sandhurst.

In a separate incident, the 24-year-old is heard calling another officer cadet who is jokingly wearing a veil on his head a "f***ing raghead".

Prince Harry used the term without any malice and as a nickname about a highly popular member of his platoon.

Statement from Clarence House

The video, shot in 2006, also shows the Prince joking about his grandmother the Queen - who is Commander in Chief of the British Army - in front of other cadets.

With his Army friends watching on, he is filmed making a joke call to her, saying: "Granny I've got to go, got to go, send my love to the Corgis and Grandpa."

He signs off by saying in front of them: "I've got to go, got to go, bye. God Save You... yeah, that's great."

Referring to the use of the word "Paki", a statement from Clarence House said: "Prince Harry fully understands how offensive this term can be - and is extremely sorry for any offence his words might cause.

"However, on this occasion three years ago, Prince Harry used the term without any malice and as a nickname about a highly popular member of his platoon.

"There is no question that Prince Harry was in any way seeking to insult his friend."

It added that he was using the term "raghead" to mean "Taliban" or "Iraqi insurgent".

Think about & strip it down ... is it really racist calling a guy from Pakistan a Paki? It's ok to call an Australian an Aussie , and someone from Poland a Pole, someone from Sweden a Swede , Turkey a Turk , Scotland a Scot etc etc etc, so WHY oh WHY is that you get called a racist just because you say Paki?

I used to know a Pakistani woman who called her fellow countrymen and women "Pakis". So if they are OK with it I personally do not see what all the fuss is about. After all I am British but do not get offended when I am called a "Brit"

There is far far too much PC in the UK nowadays in my opinion.

If you think I am being racist, you are welcome to your opinion.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:20 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gray C
Think about & strip it down ... is it really racist calling a guy from Pakistan a Paki? It's ok to call an Australian an Aussie , and someone from Poland a Pole, someone from Sweden a Swede , Turkey a Turk , Scotland a Scot etc etc etc, so WHY oh WHY is that you get called a racist just because you say Paki?

I used to know a Pakistani woman who called her fellow countrymen and women "Pakis". So if they are OK with it I personally do not see what all the fuss is about. After all I am British but do not get offended when I am called a "Brit"

here but dont mention the phrase 'chinky' on this forum or the Jackie chan offended bus will come along..
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:14 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gray C

Having read a fairly lengthy thread on this very topic on the Canada Forum, the consensus there seems to be that "it really depends on the context". In this case, I believe Harry's remarks to be harmless but, if somebody shouted out in a crowded pub "look out the Paki is coming" or words to that effect, it would probably be deemed offensive. Just my two penny worth.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:22 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Having read a fairly lengthy thread on this very topic on the Canada Forum, the consensus there seems to be that "it really depends on the context". In this case, I believe Harry's remarks to be harmless but, if somebody shouted out in a crowded pub "look out the Paki is coming" or words to that effect, it would probably be deemed offensive. Just my two penny worth.
totally agree,
its all about the context..
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:16 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
totally agree,
its all about the context..
No it's not - for years Paki has been a racial slur, ALWAYS meant in a totally derogatary and offensive way. A term ALWAYs associated with negative connotations and regulary used by raciast groups.

If you were born in the 1940s then through language and attitudes as you grow up in the 50s and 60s then it can be excusable.

If you are Pakistani then i think you can use it as a badge of pride I think.

However for someone in their 20s, Uni educated, to use it not defendable.

Who here on the forum uses this term?
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:23 am
100% British Beef

Bison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, I have always known it to be used in a Racist way, I don't think anyone who uses it is going to admit it do you?
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Shehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Autonomy
I agree - am just surprised that so many people here actually were not aware that this a derogatory and racist term...where has everyone been living? Admittedly, 'paki' is not as bad as the 'n' word, but in an English or British context, its as bad as it gets when it comes to racist language. No one below 50 in metropolitan England would use it unless they meant to cause offence. In all my years back home, the only people who have used 'Paki' in polite society and got away with it have been Aussies....but then they have an excuse.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:52 am
banned

Originally Posted by Autonomy
No it's not - for years Paki has been a racial slur, ALWAYS meant in a totally derogatary and offensive way. A term ALWAYs associated with negative connotations and regulary used by raciast groups.

If you were born in the 1940s then through language and attitudes as you grow up in the 50s and 60s then it can be excusable.

If you are Pakistani then i think you can use it as a badge of pride I think.

so its the same with 'Jock" then or is that just i bit of fun?

what about 'Chinky'
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:58 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

It's something to do with the context, but also to do with the historical connotations. How many Aussies, Brits and Jocks have been discriminated against, abused or physically attacked just for being Aussies, Brits and Jocks? More often than not the use of the term Paki has been used in an abusive and racist context. Of course, in a situation where people are close friends they can get away with calling each other the worst of names under the auspices of banter, but if you went up to a complete stranger and called them a Paki, you shouldn't expect a positive response.

Last edited by littlejimmy; Jan 12th 2009 at 9:01 am.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:02 am
banned

go on any construction site, oil rig, yard in the UAE and tell me that you never here people describing people in this manner.

In fact, a conversation i heard just 20minutes ago on my site

MR A 'Who just went through that safety barrier?'
MR B 'These 3 guys over there'

MR A 'where is the lead safety guy'
MR B ' over there, (points to two guys with red coveralls on. One pakistani and one Phillipino)'

MR A 'which one'
MR B 'The paki one'

I dont think this is racist. And i bow down to all the uber PC people who tell me im wrong. I have worked here a long time now with many nationalites and am not racist.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:18 am