Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The Pretenders at the IV - right or wrong?

The Pretenders at the IV - right or wrong?

Old Oct 31st 2017, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

Arnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to behold
Default The Pretenders at the IV - right or wrong?

The band have a thing about this anyway, notices around the Irish Village and they storm off after people ignore them.

https://www.thenational.ae/arts-cult...dubai-1.671109

Good on her. I hate the proliferation of filming every waking moment at the best of times but mobile phones have truly ruined gigs. Not that I want to be jumping around the front getting bruised nowadays but I'm also happy to experience something in the moment and not on a shakey 2 inch screen later on.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Pretenders at the IV - right or wrong?

Originally Posted by Arnold S
The band have a thing about this anyway, notices around the Irish Village and they storm off after people ignore them.

https://www.thenational.ae/arts-cult...dubai-1.671109

Good on her. I hate the proliferation of filming every waking moment at the best of times but mobile phones have truly ruined gigs. Not that I want to be jumping around the front getting bruised nowadays but I'm also happy to experience something in the moment and not on a shakey 2 inch screen later on.
And later she apologised for her behaviour......we the fans have paid for her to become rich and famous, so my take on it is that yes we do own a slice of them and if that price is to take pictures or video then they should just suck it up!!

Throwing a wobbly and abusing people is not the way to go about it, just shows you are an ungrateful twat who for whatever reason thinks you can dictate you every whim.

Now throwing a tantrum at the Paparazzi is another thing, they are lower than pond life!
Old Oct 31st 2017, 6:35 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile
And later she apologised for her behaviour......we the fans have paid for her to become rich and famous, so my take on it is that yes we do own a slice of them and if that price is to take pictures or video then they should just suck it up!!

Throwing a wobbly and abusing people is not the way to go about it, just shows you are an ungrateful twat who for whatever reason thinks you can dictate you every whim.

Now throwing a tantrum at the Paparazzi is another thing, they are lower than pond life!
I agree to a degree Scampi, fame does mean that you give up a bit of your life to your fans. However, every concert that I have been to in recent years and especially in the UAE, you just end up looking at a sea of smart phone screens and raised arms in front of you for the entire performance. If you want to see your favorite artist on screen, use Youtube, but isn't the whole point of concerts to see the bands/artists LIVE??

I'd hazard a guess that less than 0.01% of those concert videos are ever looked at again unless something spectacular goes wrong.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

Arnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to behold

What about the fact it's totally killed all the atmosphere at concerts? Also, it can't be too inspiring for a performer to really let go when faced with a sea of static, illuminated blocks.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TheShed
I'd hazard a guess that less than 0.01% of those concert videos are ever looked at again unless something spectacular goes wrong.
This is what I never get. It's the same with the fireworks at new year. Why do people film it when it'll be on YouTube before they get home, shot in 4k on multiple cameras including a helicopter?
Old Oct 31st 2017, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Modern day unfortunately, how many bars, restaurants or places do you go to without seeing the majority of people staring at a screen...pathetic really that some organise themselves around a little machine, with their facebook etc etc.

How long can you leave your phone when it pings without looking at it (talking outside working hours here)??
Old Oct 31st 2017, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

I agree to a degree Scampi, fame does mean that you give up a bit of your life to your fans. However, every concert that I have been to in recent years and especially in the UAE, you just end up looking at a sea of smart phone screens and raised arms in front of you for the entire performance. If you want to see your favorite artist on screen, use Youtube, but isn't the whole point of concerts to see the bands/artists LIVE??

Scampi ??????????????????????????????????????
Old Oct 31st 2017, 7:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

DubaiExile you must sound very cool and intelligent if TheShed is confusing our posts....either that or my standards are slipping.

She should be embarrassed. I hate all the phones and shit at concerts but it's that individual's choice to watch a live show through a tiny screen....not hers to dictate, fine politely request it, but don't then shout at people. Silly.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 7:39 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Scampi ??????????????????????????????????????
Yeah, seems like a Scampi in the basket kinda guy
Old Oct 31st 2017, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scamp
DubaiExile you must sound very cool and intelligent if TheShed is confusing our posts....either that or my standards are slipping.

She should be embarrassed. I hate all the phones and shit at concerts but it's that individual's choice to watch a live show through a tiny screen....not hers to dictate, fine politely request it, but don't then shout at people. Silly.
Tried cool and intelligent, failed miserably.

And your standards could not slip any further!!! Scot47 told me
Old Oct 31st 2017, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

How long can you leave your phone when it pings without looking at it (talking outside working hours here)??
I'm as guilty as posting up a McGettigan's fry up to Facebook as anyone else and the phone is great for pics of the kids playing to send off to gran. Like you say it's the way of the world now and I'm not sure if Chrissie Hynde can do anything to prevent it.

It's a shame because I remember concerts being a truly immersive experience, whether 150 in a student venue or 10,000 at Glastonbury. The band hitting that moment of that particular track and everyone sharing that, whether a ballad singalong or going absolutely berserk to some guitar riff.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 7:45 am
Wannabe Cycling God

Just to be clear. I think her outburst was wrong on a public stage, but I still stand by the point that I hate the wall of screens and lights in front of me when I'm trying to enjoy a live performance. I know of one lighting director who also works in the Middle East and they spend a lot of time trying to create an atmosphere that fits the gig only to walk within the crowd and get depressed at how there efforts seem worthless.

If most people saw a sign in the UK or other developed country, POLITELY asking people to refrain from using phones, it would largely be adhered to (theres always one ). Similarly if you go to Dubai Opera where there are more mature, and socially aware people, the messaging is very similar, but it seems to be adhered to in that environment. Maybe its the refreshments at the concerts which can last 2-3 hours before the main event that makes people so rude and self serving.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 7:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Tried cool and intelligent, failed miserably.

And your standards could not slip any further!!! Scot47 told me
He still hasn't found the nuts to explain why he hates me so much.

Just to be clear. I think her outburst was wrong on a public stage, but I still stand by the point that I hate the wall of screens and lights in front of me when I'm trying to enjoy a live performance. I know of one lighting director who also works in the Middle East and they spend a lot of time trying to create an atmosphere that fits the gig only to walk within the crowd and get depressed at how there efforts seem worthless.

If most people saw a sign in the UK or other developed country, POLITELY asking people to refrain from using phones, it would largely be adhered to (theres always one ). Similarly if you go to Dubai Opera where there are more mature, and socially aware people, the messaging is very similar, but it seems to be adhered to in that environment. Maybe its the refreshments at the concerts which can last 2-3 hours before the main event that makes people so rude and self serving.
I don't disagree with you at all. I find it frustrating too, but I do like to get a snap or something too. Being told I can't do that is pathetic, there's no need for it.
Opera - agree, but it's very, very well regulated with attendants pouncing on people if they have a lit screen during any of the show.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

that individual's choice to watch a live show through a tiny screen....not hers to dictate.
Genuinely interesting point though is it not up to her to fully own the experience though? Many nightclubs, that focus on music, now don't allow filming or taking pictures with some actually throwing punters out for doing so.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 7:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Arnold S
Genuinely interesting point though is it not up to her to fully own the experience though? Many nightclubs, that focus on music, now don't allow filming or taking pictures with some actually throwing punters out for doing so.
Yeah, fair point. If they put a notice that photography with any device was banned they could make people hand over phones when entering or removing people who do try it.

I imagine people would hear about it and just decide not to bother. She's hardly leading a huge crowd puller. She isn't Justin Bieber or Beyonce.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.