British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Powerpoint. Doh... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/powerpoint-doh-691647/)

Bahtatboy Oct 31st 2010 3:26 pm

Powerpoint. Doh...

Using powerpoint 2003 (I know, I know).

Can't get bulleted lists to appear one-by-one, despite selecting the text box and then selecting appear one-by-one in custom animation--it treats the whole text box as a single entity. Tried selecting lumps of text but that doesn't work either. Only workaround is to have multiple text boxes, but life's too short for that.

I have a feeling that its not available in the 2003 version--I hope someone can prove me wrong...

Roadking Oct 31st 2010 3:29 pm

Re: Powerpoint. Doh...

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8953186)

Can't get bulleted lists to appear one-by-one, despite selecting the text box and then selecting appear one-by-one in custom animation--it treats the whole text box as a single entity. Tried selecting lumps of text but that doesn't work either. Only workaround is to have multiple text boxes, but life's too short for that.

I have a feeling that its not available in the 2003 version--I hope someone can prove me wrong...

You sad, sad man.

Have you tried altering the custom animation?

Bahtatboy Oct 31st 2010 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 8953190)
You sad, sad man.

Have you tried altering the custom animation?

Well yes, doh...:rolleyes:

Switch it on, switch it off, try different effects, try whole document, try this slide only. Zip, zilch, nada.

However, was using someone else's presentation as a base, copying and pasting into their files. Have just inserted a new page, typed some bullet points, set the custom animation, and hey presto it works. Can't see that there's any difference between the old and new pages, so now creating all new pages and cutting and pasting the text, which seems to be working. Weird.

Roadking Oct 31st 2010 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8953206)
Well yes, doh...:rolleyes:

Switch it on, switch it off, try different effects, try whole document, try this slide only. Zip, zilch, nada.

However, was using someone else's presentation as a base, copying and pasting into their files. Have just inserted a new page, typed some bullet points, set the custom animation, and hey presto it works. Can't see that there's any difference between the old and new pages, so now creating all new pages and cutting and pasting the text, which seems to be working. Weird.

Slide Master settings?

But I did have that issue before and couldn't figure out what the issue was...but it makes me feel better to ask you the bloody obvious.

Is the power on? is it plugged in?

Oyibopeppeh Oct 31st 2010 4:09 pm

You have to use separate boxes for each animation. No other way round it.

Millhouse Nov 1st 2010 5:18 am

give the task to the team assistant.

Bahtatboy Nov 1st 2010 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 8953241)
You have to use separate boxes for each animation. No other way round it.

No, see 3rd post. Must've been a setting somewhere in the presentation I was overwriting. Start from a new presentation and the bullets can be made to appear sequentially, with options for sub-bullets to load at the same time or sequentially too, all through custom animation and relatively intuitively.

Should've got my lovely assistant to do it, 'cept that I would then take just as long to fanny about with it till I had it as I wanted it.

And I've got the early-afternoon slot, just as everyone's settling down for a post-prandial nap...

Roadking Nov 1st 2010 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8954311)
No, see 3rd post. Must've been a setting somewhere in the presentation I was overwriting. Start from a new presentation and the bullets can be made to appear sequentially, with options for sub-bullets to load at the same time or sequentially too, all through custom animation and relatively intuitively.

Should've got my lovely assistant to do it, 'cept that I would then take just as long to fanny about with it till I had it as I wanted it.

And I've got the early-afternoon slot, just as everyone's settling down for a post-prandial nap...

No-one will notice you cocking it up then ;0)

Madam Medusa Nov 1st 2010 9:26 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8954078)
give the task to the team assistant.

but he is the team assistant...

MM, xx

Bahtatboy Nov 1st 2010 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 8954388)
but he is the team assistant...

MM, xx

Curses, the secret's out...

Kelli28 Nov 1st 2010 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8953186)

Have you tried turning off and on again? :lol:

Bahtatboy Nov 1st 2010 11:56 am

Originally Posted by kelli28 (Post 8954585)
Have you tried turning off and on again? :lol:

You're avatar's quite a turn on:o

Yes, it seems to be something linked to or imbedded in the presentation I'm using as a base. Just having to cut, paste and reformat everything to new pages. Pain.

Roadking Nov 1st 2010 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8954592)
You're avatar's quite a turn on:o

Yes, it seems to be something linked to or imbedded in the presentation I'm using as a base. Just having to cut, paste and reformat everything to new pages. Pain.

Did you try changing Slide Master settings like I suggested!

Don't know why I bother....

Meow Nov 1st 2010 12:10 pm

A great way to spend an hour - death by PowerPoint. I hate those lazy presenters who just read the pages out to their audience.

I trust your presentation will be succinct & witty Bahtatboy?

Bahtatboy Nov 1st 2010 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8954612)
A great way to spend an hour - death by PowerPoint. I hate those lazy presenters who just read the pages out to their audience.

I trust your presentation will be succinct & witty Bahtatboy?

Err...had to look up both succint and witty in my Junior Learner's Dictionary. Oh dear.

I have quite a learned friend, chairman of several committees and a relative bigwig in his chosen field in Hong Kong; I went to one of his lectures when he was visiting Manchester Uni a few years back. The guy introducing him must have known his style, because surreptitiously gave the bottle of sparkling water on the rostrum a damned good shaking. My friend started his lecture, and proceeded to read every word--and only every word--from his notes. Not a word added nor taken away. The script, the whole script and nothing but the script. Cue the bottle of water, which he opened after about 15 minutes and it spurted everywhere. And when he got to the bit which had been smudged by the water, he was floored--no idea how to get round it. Worst lecture I've ever attended, yet the bloke's fairly brilliant at the other elements of his profession.

My presentation will be ok--no more than 6 or so bullet points per page, minimal sub-bullets, a few pictures and diagrams, and my sparkling delivery. What could go wrong?