British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   the power of fonts... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/power-fonts-627127/)

Madam Medusa Aug 23rd 2009 3:26 pm

the power of fonts...

...is it just me, but I find it really difficult to work in certain fonts, eg times new roman...one of my clients, however, insists on all press releases being in this font...whereas i'm an arial or verdana girl by choice...

it just doesn't look right to me, and i find it totally distracting if i'm trying to draft something...same if they insist on having the page justified, it's wrong, wrong wrong...

ok, ok, maybe it's just me, and maybe i'm just a bit anal about it...(and i'm just struggling for inspiration for a press release at the mo and looking for excuses not to do it, lol...)

MM, xx

Spugsy Aug 23rd 2009 5:01 pm

Re: the power of fonts...

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 7868903)
...is it just me, but I find it really difficult to work in certain fonts, eg times new roman...one of my clients, however, insists on all press releases being in this font...whereas i'm an arial or verdana girl by choice...

it just doesn't look right to me, and i find it totally distracting if i'm trying to draft something...same if they insist on having the page justified, it's wrong, wrong wrong...

ok, ok, maybe it's just me, and maybe i'm just a bit anal about it...(and i'm just struggling for inspiration for a press release at the mo and looking for excuses not to do it, lol...)

MM, xx

It' s bloody awful, in fact why not use something different though rather than the basic fonts? You must have loads?

Madam Medusa Aug 23rd 2009 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7869061)
It' s bloody awful, in fact why not use something different though rather than the basic fonts? You must have loads?

yeah, but what the client wants, the client gets...i have to draft the thing in my preferred font then change it...it's stupid really...!

MM, xx

954RR Aug 23rd 2009 5:18 pm

Arial is my default font, I hate Times New Roman too.

Madam Medusa Aug 23rd 2009 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by 954RR (Post 7869095)
Arial is my default font, I hate Times New Roman too.

*sigh of relief*....i really was starting to think it was just me...

MM, xx

commander Aug 23rd 2009 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 7869098)
*sigh of relief*....i really was starting to think it was just me...

MM, xx

nope me too, cant suffer it. I use calibri

zoukla Aug 23rd 2009 6:16 pm

Times roman has done its time...the legal fogies like this but then it plays havoc with the eyes...

Is there a conspiracy with the opticians cause it can send your eyes in a spin not too soon you have astigmatism

Arial, tahoma modern fonts for clarity and ease of reading.
Verdanas shows you're one with style...on a casual day Monotype corsiva does the business.

Good luck
The client pays the bills...keep a copy of the verdana for yourself

MacScot Aug 23rd 2009 6:20 pm

Times New Roman (TNR) went out years ago with most of my clients, as did justifying text. Most use Arial now with a few using Helvetica. Verdana still looks like TNR to me.

Madam Medusa Aug 23rd 2009 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by zoukla (Post 7869203)
Times roman has done its time...the legal fogies like this but then it plays havoc with the eyes...

Is there a conspiracy with the opticians cause it can send your eyes in a spin not too soon you have astigmatism

Arial, tahoma modern fonts for clarity and ease of reading.
Verdanas shows you're one with style...on a casual day Monotype corsiva does the business.

Good luck
The client pays the bills...keep a copy of the verdana for yourself

yep, agree with all that...will check out the monotype corsiva on my next casual day, lol...

MM, xx

BangleMan Aug 23rd 2009 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 7869282)
yep, agree with all that...will check out the monotype corsiva on my next casual day, lol...

MM, xx

You need to get out more, MM......lol

The Dean Aug 23rd 2009 7:37 pm

I quite like Garamond.........

.... but I hate Comic Sans MS - looks like a kid's (bad) handwriting......

:huh:

Madam Medusa Aug 24th 2009 3:40 am

Originally Posted by BangleMan (Post 7869298)
You need to get out more, MM......lol

i know, i know...

MM, xx

Grace O Malley Aug 24th 2009 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 7868903)

MM, xx

lol me to, I only let anything be done in Ariel or verdana, I am sure the staff think I am anal, but thats the way it is

commander Aug 24th 2009 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley (Post 7870212)
lol me to, I only let anything be done in Ariel or verdana, I am sure the staff think I am anal, but thats the way it is

verdana is a poor mans calibri....

Grace O Malley Aug 24th 2009 8:39 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7870265)
verdana is a poor mans calibri....

ha says you? I got a blackberry by the way, bloody brilliant