British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Pound v.s Dirham (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/pound-v-s-dirham-603643/)

Sky Blue Apr 15th 2009 9:00 am

Pound v.s Dirham

Hi all,

Just wanted to gauge peoples thoughts on the exchange rate at the moment? The pound seems to be improving against the UAED, is this a trend likely to continue?

Looking to move a (for me) wedge back to the UK and small increaes mean a bit of a difference to be fair...

Thoughts and projections welcomed (and before you ask yes i am looking at a free bit if advice!!!!) :D

admon Apr 15th 2009 9:09 am

Re: Pound v.s Dirham

economists seem to think that the pound will peak at $1.50, before quickly retreating to $1.30, which would mean get your money out now.

Although the same people were saying the pound would be at $1.30 by march, which hasn't quite happened, seems to be swings and roundabouts around $1.45.

In short, its a crystal ball call. Any big news economy wise will make currencies move - and that could happen either way.

Meow Apr 15th 2009 9:13 am

FYI

Wholesale rates today

high low

GBP-AED 5.479 5.3899

GBP-USD 1.492 1.467

Sterling has climbed against the USD due to yesterday's US retail sales figures for March being worse than expected. Inflation and industrial figures are set to be announced later today.

-

Madam Medusa Apr 15th 2009 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Sky Blue (Post 7481664)
Hi all,

Just wanted to gauge peoples thoughts on the exchange rate at the moment? The pound seems to be improving against the UAED, is this a trend likely to continue?

Looking to move a (for me) wedge back to the UK and small increaes mean a bit of a difference to be fair...

Thoughts and projections welcomed (and before you ask yes i am looking at a free bit if advice!!!!) :D

let's hope it continues the upward trend...it's been hovering around 5.3/5.4 for a while though...

MM, xx

Sky Blue Apr 15th 2009 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 7481808)
let's hope it continues the upward trend...it's been hovering around 5.3/5.4 for a while though...

MM, xx

Upwards, Downwards all depends on your circumstances really!!

In 6 months its gone from 7.1 - 4.9 and looks like its on its way back...

Madam Medusa Apr 15th 2009 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Sky Blue (Post 7481912)
Upwards, Downwards all depends on your circumstances really!!

In 6 months its gone from 7.1 - 4.9 and looks like its on its way back...

tell me about it...bring back the 7s...

MM, xx

Sky Blue Apr 15th 2009 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 7481933)
tell me about it...bring back the 7s...

MM, xx

Bring back the 4.9s ;)

Grace O Malley Apr 15th 2009 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Sky Blue (Post 7481986)
Bring back the 4.9s ;)

Oh yeah, sorry MM.

The Dean Apr 15th 2009 11:26 am

Originally Posted by admon (Post 7481680)
economists seem to think that the pound will peak at $1.50, before quickly retreating to $1.30, which would mean get your money out now.

Although the same people were saying the pound would be at $1.30 by march, which hasn't quite happened, seems to be swings and roundabouts around $1.45.

In short, its a crystal ball call. Any big news economy wise will make currencies move - and that could happen either way.

No Admon,

It's now around 1.49. If he's sending money to the UK, a lower rate is better, so if it really IS going to 1.30, it's better to wait until it gets there.

I'm waiting for a weaker GBP, if that's any help............

Ignore comments from the likes of MM whose other half agreed to be paid in GBP........

admon Apr 15th 2009 11:34 am

ahig, what I meant to say was, if they are wrong and it goes the other way, its time to get your money out now..

why did I leave out that bit?

Madam Medusa Apr 15th 2009 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7482039)
Ignore comments from the likes of MM whose other half agreed to be paid in GBP........

who said he agreed...?? whatever, was fine for 3 years, swings and roundabouts i guess, doesn't stop me from wanting it to go back up, despite the fact that i'm actually paid in dhs...

MM, xx

commander Apr 15th 2009 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Sky Blue (Post 7481986)
Bring back the 4.9s ;)

same here, im now on a $$ contract