Pound on 11 December

Old Dec 12th 2018, 8:40 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pound on 11 December

Originally Posted by Scamp
Some odds:

UK to apply to rejoin by 2027 - 5/6
No Brexit Deal to be agreed before 1st April 2019 - 0/1 (wow)
Sterling to reach 1=1 with Euro in 2018 - 9/1
UK to revoke Article 50 before 30/3/19 - 5/1

Theresa May exit date:
2018 6/4
2019 4/5
2020 or later 4/1

House of Commons Vote to Pass
No - 1/33 Yes 10/1

Next Prime Minister:
Corbyn 7/2
BOJO 5/1
Dominic Raab 6/1
Sajid Javid 6/1
Mickey Gove 8/1
Jezza Hunt 10s
Rees-Mogg 10s
Says something for the current state of politics if these guys are the top contenders.
Old Dec 12th 2018, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

mathematist will become famous soon enough

Hi all. Great and interesting discussion from all sides.

I have a question regarding the topic .

Is there a maximum amount I can send home without delays, from the usual exchange houses here in Dubai?

Can I send l, say around 100k aed to my standard UK Barclay's/HSBC account back home? Anybody have any experience of this? Any issues with the side at home?

Just savings over the years and it seems now is the best time. Wait some more?

Just looking for least hassle as already registered with some of the exchange houses.

Ta in advance!
Old Dec 12th 2018, 9:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
What a week. Good lord. No. What a year. What a two year period. What a two and a half year period. Actually, let's go back to the Scottish referendum and start with that too.
Amen

Originally Posted by TheShed
Wow I'm really shocked that Amber Rudd is not in that list.
16's.

There's a huge list, I just highlighted the favourites.
You can get 500/1 on Tony Blair.

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Says something for the current state of politics if these guys are the top contenders.
Tragic isn't it.
Old Dec 12th 2018, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mathematist
Hi all. Great and interesting discussion from all sides.

I have a question regarding the topic .

Is there a maximum amount I can send home without delays, from the usual exchange houses here in Dubai?

Can I send l, say around 100k aed to my standard UK Barclay's/HSBC account back home? Anybody have any experience of this? Any issues with the side at home?

Just savings over the years and it seems now is the best time. Wait some more?

Just looking for least hassle as already registered with some of the exchange houses.

Ta in advance!
. A colleague sent 75,000GBP back to the UK for his mortgage and it wasnt flagged
Old Dec 12th 2018, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Mrs May will probably survive. And can't be crippled for at least another year. Back to the shitshow.
Old Dec 12th 2018, 11:26 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Mrs May will probably survive. And can't be crippled for at least another year. Back to the shitshow.
Maybe that was the plan all along...
Old Dec 12th 2018, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Maybe that was the plan all along...
Don't see how.

100 MPs will likely vote against her. She knows that's 100 Tory MPs voting against her deal no matter what may come. I just don't know how she thinks she can still get the WA through Parliament. The degree of the vote against her, even if unsuccessful, only weakens the perception of her. Which is impressive when you consider everything else.

We're likely heading into a Christmas stalemate with nothing much happening till mid-January. If she's hoping that delaying the vote will magically get MPs to support it out of panic, she's going to be sorely surprised.

I used to be a supporter of her and quietly wanted her to keep going, but at this point it's just ridiculous.
Old Dec 12th 2018, 11:52 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Labour must be wondering how different things could have been if they hadn't such a walloper for a leader
Old Dec 12th 2018, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

To be honest, I think this leadership challenge is a total shitshow. Completely unhelpful and a waste of time and efforts.

Imagine if the party members contributed towards negotiations positively?
Imagine is all parties contributed?

I know that's all a bit utopian and pie in the sky but just imagine politics in the UK if it wasn't slinging shit for fun and was actually about working on this agreement and getting the right deal?
Old Dec 12th 2018, 12:22 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't see how.

100 MPs will likely vote against her. She knows that's 100 Tory MPs voting against her deal no matter what may come. I just don't know how she thinks she can still get the WA through Parliament. The degree of the vote against her, even if unsuccessful, only weakens the perception of her. Which is impressive when you consider everything else.

We're likely heading into a Christmas stalemate with nothing much happening till mid-January. If she's hoping that delaying the vote will magically get MPs to support it out of panic, she's going to be sorely surprised.

I used to be a supporter of her and quietly wanted her to keep going, but at this point it's just ridiculous.
We've seen how stubborn she can be. This could put the ERG challenge to bed because if she wins, even by only a small margin and they won't be able to challenge her for another year.

Dunno, really, just speculating. It's a shitshow, that is beyond doubt.
Old Dec 12th 2018, 12:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Don't see how.

It's all part of the plan to get her remaining ways.
Old Dec 12th 2018, 12:25 pm
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by Scamp
Imagine if the party members contributed towards negotiations positively?
Imagine is all parties contributed?

I know that's all a bit utopian and pie in the sky but just imagine politics in the UK if it wasn't slinging shit for fun and was actually about working on this agreement and getting the right deal?
This. It should have been cross-party and attempts made to unify the evenly-split country before triggering Article 50 and putting the red lines in place. But no, she ploughed on and made it worse with the snap election and ending up at the mercy of the DUP. Could have had a Norway deal or similar, not this abortion.
Old Dec 12th 2018, 12:35 pm
Account Closed

This. It should have been cross-party and attempts made to unify the evenly-split country before triggering Article 50 and putting the red lines in place. But no, she ploughed on and made it worse with the snap election and ending up at the mercy of the DUP. Could have had a Norway deal or similar, not this abortion.
Good point, I'm thinking very recently in terms of her being supported to get on and do the job.....not considering the awful decision to call an election.
Old Dec 12th 2018, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh, look at this. People who knew they could get a better deal than May did. Pray, tell me, how is Norway deal better? Or how can we get a better deal that isn't May's deal? What we have is, according to the EU, the very best possible deal.

You speak of May's red lines. But those red lines did reflect the referendum. She knew the real reason the country voted to leave, the real trigger behind the referendum, was immigration. If there had been no FOM, there would have been no Brexit. Don't end FOM, you have an utterly pointless Brexit. How would a cross party commission done anything differently? Remember, nearly half didn't want to leave and would only agree to a BINO that made Brexit pointless. And the other half wants to leave and won't agree to a BINO that makes Brexit pointless. Actually, when you get down to it, the best a cross party commission could have come up with would be...ta de dah....May's deal.

And May did come up with a deal that ended FOM while maintaining pretty close economic ties with the EU. And look how berserk everyone, both remain and leave, went.

Same shitshow. Your fictional cross party commission would have come up with the exact same shitshow.

It was always going to be either remain or leave, both in the fullest sense of the word. Nothing in between.
Old Dec 12th 2018, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

The result of the referendum was very close, Norway would have been a better reflection of the closeness of the result and more palatable to more people rather than pandering only to a few on the right wing of the party (which is why they called the referendum in the first place). FoM is not absolute, our government chose not to enforce the 3 month self-supporting rules, and the trumpeting of ending it being trumpeted as some kind of big win is laughable. It's regressive and works both ways. You seem obsessed with immigration, which I always laugh at the irony of from someone living in a foreign country.

You do know that the highest Leave votes came in constituencies with the lowest immigration, by the way?
Your first point is irrelevant. Immigration was the biggest motivation for the referendum and why people voted to leave. Everything else was secondary by a substantial margin and even the notion of sovereignty was heavily tied with the ability to control immigration. Norway does nothing for this. Absolutely nothing. Because under Norway you have full FOM. So why is Norway a compromise? And to worsen it, you lose what influence or vote you have over all the regulations you have to accept. So there goes any sovereignty. That's two big red lines flushed down the toilet and we're left in a worse position than we're currently in.

You keep talking about a compromise but how is Norway a compromise to the Brexiteers when it's mainly to allow the Remainers to pretend they haven't left the EU while the Brexiteers get nothing meaningful. That you speak of Norway as a compromise speaks volumes about your biases.

I don't give a flying **** if the most pro Leave areas were the ones with the lower rates of immigration. It's one country. They have every right to be just as concerned as anyone in London. Besides, remember that 40% of London voted to leave. That's pretty damn impressive for a city like London.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.