BE posters in Qatar

Old Dec 19th 2011, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BE posters in Qatar

Originally Posted by Meow
Are there very many?

Looks as if I might be coming that way for business trips next year.
I'm here...I'd be happy to extend the same lovely hospitality to you as you did to me a few years back.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 6:56 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa
I'm here...I'd be happy to extend the same lovely hospitality to you as you did to me a few years back.
You're the only person I know in Qatar, so I was planning to get in touch anyway. xx
Old Dec 20th 2011, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
I wonder if Western governments pressured FIFA to give Qatar the cup, as Qatar has been very very hands on involved in deposing Khadaffi regime and financing the rebels.Plus they are now using their money and influence to get rid of Assad. Cause frankly I can't think of an above the board logical reason why Qatar got it.
Pressured by NATO? I can see your line of thought there..but seriously? Can't see FIFA caring about US opinion..but I could see FIFA caring about Qatar's money.

I think Qatar will quite happily do this without bribery..but it's crazy what a bit of cash can buy you in terms of influence these days. The image Qatar projects to the world is about as ridiculous as it can get, Afghanistan might as well start advertising Bamiyan as the 'Alpes' of central asia or something.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 1:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of Qatar, Novita (sp?), used to be there, don't know what happened to her and family, but they might still be there...
Old Dec 20th 2011, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paracletus
Pressured by NATO? I can see your line of thought there..but seriously? Can't see FIFA caring about US opinion..but I could see FIFA caring about Qatar's money.

I think Qatar will quite happily do this without bribery..but it's crazy what a bit of cash can buy you in terms of influence these days. The image Qatar projects to the world is about as ridiculous as it can get, Afghanistan might as well start advertising Bamiyan as the 'Alpes' of central asia or something.
I am quite a bit of a cynic and tend to feel that there is far more than meets the eye when international ventures are concerned, so thats why the cynic in me was trying to rationalize how Qatar got the cup. Lots of other nations got money to throw at the cup too, so why Qatar..
Old Dec 20th 2011, 1:32 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Speaking of Qatar, Novita (sp?), used to be there, don't know what happened to her and family, but they might still be there...
Novi is living in the UK at the moment, although I think her husband is working in Qatar.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Nope she's not in Qatar anymore, her husband is though.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 4:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Good to know, hope they're doing well...not seen her on the forums in donkeys
Old Dec 20th 2011, 4:42 pm
Living the dream

abbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to all

Only come and work/live in Qatar if they are paying shit loads of money - its dull and not a lot to do once you've visited the three or so decent malls and had a wander round the museum of islamic art.

That said if money is your only object (as it is mine) then you can put up with the place. There are also some decent schools - but you will pay for these so best get the cost included in your package.

On the major projects front they have pissed about for so long planning everything they are now late and looking to fast track. The first batch of job opportunities will be with the Project Managers who have just been appointed - such as Hyder and Parson Brinckerhoff who have major contracts with the government road and rail companies. You will see at least another four major project management contracts let by the government agencies in the next six months - probably the usual suspects of the likes of Aecom, Bechtel, Hill International - they will all get a slice. The next appointments will be the works contractors and this is at least a year off. For stadium construction I think we will wait at least another 24 months before they kick off - if you pardon the pun. In 2014 this place will be like one massive building site and there will be a shortage of housing and school places.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abbey08
Only come and work/live in Qatar if they are paying shit loads of money - its dull and not a lot to do once you've visited the three or so decent malls and had a wander round the museum of islamic art.

That said if money is your only object (as it is mine) then you can put up with the place. There are also some decent schools - but you will pay for these so best get the cost included in your package.

On the major projects front they have pissed about for so long planning everything they are now late and looking to fast track. The first batch of job opportunities will be with the Project Managers who have just been appointed - such as Hyder and Parson Brinckerhoff who have major contracts with the government road and rail companies. You will see at least another four major project management contracts let by the government agencies in the next six months - probably the usual suspects of the likes of Aecom, Bechtel, Hill International - they will all get a slice. The next appointments will be the works contractors and this is at least a year off. For stadium construction I think we will wait at least another 24 months before they kick off - if you pardon the pun. In 2014 this place will be like one massive building site and there will be a shortage of housing and school places.
I told the same story to people 1 year ago but they found it hard to believe . There is just no urgency here at the moment .
There's a 10 year build programme on the Metro and they're thinking about releasing tenders in June 2012!

You're bang on with the prediction though , 2014/15 will see the worm turning and this place will become manic , not in the best way either , it's not possible for these guys to work to any kind of sensible programme.

When the financial constraint is not your foremost issue everything else just goes to shit .

My current goal in life is just to personally relieve the Qatari's of as much money as possible and then deposit it as far away from them as possible .
Old Dec 21st 2011, 4:11 am
Living the dream

abbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to all

I think you have the right strategy in place for how to deal with this place.

On the projects side they amaze me - they wait until everyone is through the planning stage and entering implementation to co-ordinate all of the projects - too late to influence anything without causing re design and delay - exactly what the CPO was set up to avoid. All they can do now is fire fight and sort out the squabbles between everyone.

http://www.constructionweekonline.co...tructure-boom/
Old Dec 21st 2011, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by abbey08

One thing you have to admire about this country is their optimism in the face of persistent failure. Everything they try fails but they try try and try again. (they don't learn any lessons). I was here in 2006 preparing the Lusail development which was to be fast tracked and completed by 2010. Every project is delayed because the Emir changes his mind on what he wants half way through the project. The underground railway which was overground is now again stopped while they re-consider going over ground instead of underground. or is it underground instead of over ground ? Exciting jobs for life !
Old Dec 21st 2011, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
One thing you have to admire about this country is their optimism in the face of persistent failure. Everything they try fails but they try try and try again. (they don't learn any lessons). I was here in 2006 preparing the Lusail development which was to be fast tracked and completed by 2010. Every project is delayed because the Emir changes his mind on what he wants half way through the project. The underground railway which was overground is now again stopped while they re-consider going over ground instead of underground. or is it underground instead of over ground ? Exciting jobs for life !
Exciting if you work for the quasi - governmental developer who has money to burn but not so exciting if you work for a contractor who sees his costs rising and tenders and projects changing by the minute.

What they are very good at is perception , they have projected a very different view of this country to the rest of the world . A view of a modern , efficient , progressive Gulf nation that will be built on education and knowledge and funded by it's natural resource , this will hopefully lead them to a seat on the U.N Security Council which i'm told is Qatar's ultimate objective . The World Cup and all the other shite is just part of the charade .

Changing the attitude within the local populace is their biggest challenge . Remember these guys have just had national rises ranging from 60 - 120 % with the same increase in their social allowance .
How does that create a nation of young motivated Qatari's who want to push their country forward ?

People bought into the Dubai con because it looked good and you got something out of it , it may not of had a lot of substance but it didn't matter at the time.
Qatar maybe the new kid on the block with the financial muscle but it's found wanting in almost every area of it's structure .
Old Dec 21st 2011, 7:50 am
Living the dream

They have a five star airline!
Old Dec 21st 2011, 8:08 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I struggle to understand is the way the Qataris seem hell bent on closing anything the expat community enjoyed, such as Garvey's, the restaurant on the island in the bay, Rydges (or at least I heard it was going to be shut), and replacing it with high-end posey and expensive hotel venues. Is that supposed to be progress?

Talking of Novi, she posted a video on FB last week which was meant to sell Qatar to expats. There wasn't a single shot of desert or sand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.