British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Post-Lockdown (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/post-lockdown-934357/)

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 13th 2020 5:34 pm

Re: Post-Lockdown

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 12909449)
Yes, they're all pu****s, sipping on a latte, complaining that the ubereats guy turned up 10 minutes late.

I used to only drink black coffee, that's what 8 years in Business Bay will do to you. Now I'm in Downtown is soy chai mocha pumpkin spiced frappe latte over ice all morning long baby!

UKCityGent Sep 14th 2020 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12909692)
soy chai mocha pumpkin spiced frappe latte over ice!

Avacado eating, bearded, tight trouser wearing hipster !

I couldnt even remember that so it would take me 10 mins to order a hit of coffee !

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 14th 2020 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 12910053)
Avacado eating, bearded, tight trouser wearing hipster !

I couldnt even remember that so it would take me 10 mins to order a hit of coffee !

I'm not sure some of them are even words to be honest.

I don't really fit in that well in those environments, I don't have a full sleeve tattoo

UKCityGent Sep 15th 2020 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12910055)
I don't have a full sleeve tattoo

Good lad :)

I dont see anything wrong with a 'reasonable' number of tattoos - your body becomes a tapestry of life you have led .

Pongo Sep 15th 2020 8:03 pm

Meanwhile in the UAE you can arrive in Dubai as a tourist have a negative test and are free to ‘roam’ even into Abu Dhabi where residents are required to quarantine for 14 days on arrival at the airport, now with the added bonus of a ‘tag’

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 15th 2020 8:39 pm

Could be worse, we could be in India.

Millhouse Sep 15th 2020 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12910618)
Could be worse, we could be in India.

bipat will be along soon to say how it’s all the fault of the colonial past. Certainly not the Indian’s fault.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 15th 2020 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12910621)
bipat will be along soon to say how it’s all the fault of the colonial past. Certainly not the Indian’s fault.

Part of me would like that and would like to search for the old posts where I'm sure we were told India was handling it way better than anyone else and everything was great.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 20th 2020 9:47 pm

Anyone flown back into AD recently and got themselves a trendy wristband?

Cases still high-ish, a decision to revert to any sort of lockdown still nowhere in site. Are we leading the way for a balanced approach and 'living with Covid'?

Pongo Sep 20th 2020 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12912570)

You will also be able to receive this fantastic item if you fly into DXB and drive/live in AD, unless you stay in Dubai for 14 days.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 20th 2020 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Pongo (Post 12912573)
You will also be able to receive this fantastic item if you fly into DXB and drive/live in AD, unless you stay in Dubai for 14 days.

Oooh, lucky ducks.

I'm thinking of a weekend in AD soon. I'm assuming I just need to do a test a few days before and I'm good to go.

Pongo Sep 20th 2020 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12912576)
Oooh, lucky ducks.

I'm thinking of a weekend in AD soon. I'm assuming I just need to do a test a few days before and I'm good to go.

Yes, if you stay longer you’ll need another test on day 6.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 21st 2020 1:05 am

Originally Posted by Pongo (Post 12912583)
Yes, if you stay longer you’ll need another test on day 6.

I kind of just want to go so I can see what the set up on the motorway is like. I can't get my head around it.

Yes, I'm that sad.

csdf Sep 21st 2020 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12912570)

Cases still high-ish, a decision to revert to any sort of lockdown still nowhere in site. Are we leading the way for a balanced approach and 'living with Covid'?

So whilst Dubai is going the Swedish route, Abu Dhabi's approach seems to be more Antipodean (but with considerably less polish in the execution, natch). So theoretically we have a wonderful live experiment to see if either way works "better" (using whichever definition you prefer). Unfortunately with no actual statistics broken down by emirate, we'll never find out.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 21st 2020 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by csdf (Post 12912918)
So whilst Dubai is going the Swedish route, Abu Dhabi's approach seems to be more Antipodean (but with considerably less polish in the execution, natch). So theoretically we have a wonderful live experiment to see if either way works "better" (using whichever definition you prefer). Unfortunately with no actual statistics broken down by emirate, we'll never find out.

Yeah, shame it isn't per Emirate, good point. Someone will have that data though.
Haven't seen any more on the 'vaccine' that was being used here for front line workers.