Post-Lockdown

Old Aug 31st 2020, 1:02 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post-Lockdown

Yeah. Not a great situation. Just sitting it out for now. I'm hoping things open up by October. Someone in government said flights will begin when numbers are in the hundreds. They've just gone below 1000 two days in a row. Lowest numbers in over 4 month , and that's with a lot more testing. So maybe when it's below 500 a day consistently there may be some good news.

On the plus side , saved a lot of money since all this started. Finished an extension to the house in Thailand . School fees put away ahead of schedule. Savings are up. Money to burn when I do eventually travel . 😊
Old Sep 1st 2020, 5:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Yeah. Not a great situation. Just sitting it out for now. I'm hoping things open up by October. Someone in government said flights will begin when numbers are in the hundreds. They've just gone below 1000 two days in a row. Lowest numbers in over 4 month , and that's with a lot more testing. So maybe when it's below 500 a day consistently there may be some good news.

On the plus side , saved a lot of money since all this started. Finished an extension to the house in Thailand . School fees put away ahead of schedule. Savings are up. Money to burn when I do eventually travel . 😊
I heard a similar rumour - but when it was below 1,000 a day.
Also heard flights won't be considered opening internationally until November, then on limited basis with review in January or something along those lines.
But these are all just rumours and waffle.

Lovely work on the savings! I had a look after getting paid the other day and didn't think I'd done too well because of a meaty pay cut for a few months (thankfully has ended early)....however I've got next years rent sorted and have been banking more than usual which is a lovely feeling.
Old Sep 1st 2020, 7:10 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
....when they're bladdered on a weekend and hanging out of each others hoops .
And people say romantic expression is dead
Old Sep 2nd 2020, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I think we're discussing different things.

Testing is good for as long as you're in the test centre. As soon as you leave (and let's pretend you get an immediate 'clear' result) you are now touching things, meeting people, being coughed on and running a covid gauntlet in exiting the location with the most infected people.

On the way out you brush past someone with Covid who's going to find out if their cold is a cold or if they've got the germ. You get infected. 2 days later you get told you're clean but you're in the process of getting sick, but you can't have it? You got the all clear? You go out, you party, you do what you want....which is why I say it'a bit pointless. If people were tested to see if they'd had it, it might be of more interest if the thinking is still correct that you get it once and fight it off, you're probably good.
I'm not saying that you can't get infected after taking a test, I'm saying that the chances of getting infected are very small, and you have to go a long time before the cumulative probability of catching the disease are high enough that you would deem the test invalid. If I had taken a test on day 1 of lockdown, then that negative test result would still be correct as of today (or if you want to be pedantic, as of my last negative test result 15 days ago). That means that with hindsight, that theoretical test was correct and valid for over 4 months. This is the point - the chances of catching the virus are low, so the chances of your negative test result becoming invalid are low.

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
As a pure probability exercise it can't be the case that your status yesterday resets your statistical chances of testing positive to same odds today. If I tested positive yesterday would this also be the case?
Taking a negative test means (ignoring false negatives) that you don't have the virus. From that point on, the probability of catching the virus slowly accumulates day on day, hour on hour. But at a very low rate.

Originally Posted by Millhouse
You still seem to be arguing for opening up, when usually you are in the camp of keeping everything closed and maximum security.
I'm arguing in favour of testing (and trusting the test results), because the chances of catching the virus are low. But they're only low because people are practicing social distancing. Opening everything up would increase the chances of catching the virus, and so reduce the validity of testing and the trust you can put in a negative result. McKinsey issued a report recently saying that it wasn't lockdowns per se that were killing the economy, it was people's lack of trust in the government's ability to control the virus. In countries where the virus was tackled robustly and comprehensively (e.g. New Zealand), economic participation is much higher than in countries that fannied around (e.g. United Kingdom).

Old Sep 2nd 2020, 8:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by csdf
I'm not saying that you can't get infected after taking a test, I'm saying that the chances of getting infected are very small, and you have to go a long time before the cumulative probability of catching the disease are high enough that you would deem the test invalid. If I had taken a test on day 1 of lockdown, then that negative test result would still be correct as of today (or if you want to be pedantic, as of my last negative test result 15 days ago). That means that with hindsight, that theoretical test was correct and valid for over 4 months. This is the point - the chances of catching the virus are low, so the chances of your negative test result becoming invalid are low.

Taking a negative test means (ignoring false negatives) that you don't have the virus. From that point on, the probability of catching the virus slowly accumulates day on day, hour on hour. But at a very low rate.

I'm arguing in favour of testing (and trusting the test results), because the chances of catching the virus are low. But they're only low because people are practicing social distancing. Opening everything up would increase the chances of catching the virus, and so reduce the validity of testing and the trust you can put in a negative result. McKinsey issued a report recently saying that it wasn't lockdowns per se that were killing the economy, it was people's lack of trust in the government's ability to control the virus. In countries where the virus was tackled robustly and comprehensively (e.g. New Zealand), economic participation is much higher than in countries that fannied around (e.g. United Kingdom).
Oh I don't disagree that the potential for infection is low, especially if you're a stay-at-home and don't go to McGettigans sort of attitude towards it. If you're a bit more footloose and fancy-free you're in a different boat.

However, I do think the test is a point in time test, not anything more. Whilst chances are low, there is a reason you need to keep taking them within a time period to do things like travel etc.

Agree with testing, it's worthwhile because it's important data. I think testing for those who've had it is really important as well though.
Old Sep 7th 2020, 11:24 am
Account Closed

So cases are now almost as high as the peak of lockdown, we're certainly banging in numbers that compete with just before and after the high of 998 in a day........yet we're being pushed to come back to the office even more and the city seems busier than ever.

Have we just given up?
Is it because of school tests? Although I imagine they're done and accounted for already
Is it because of tourism?
Is it because numbers are just rising?

Old Sep 8th 2020, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's something else. Back at the "peak", we were probably missing 50-80% or more of the cases, so the numbers in reality were at least double what we actually recorded and hence why the hospitals were rammed full. Now, testing is widespread, vulnerable people are shielding themselves and we're probably missing 10% or fewer of the cases, so the case counts are more accurate and hospitalisations are lower.

The remaining big issue to be addressed is whether Long Covid is really a thing, because if it is, and treating it is materially expensive (directly through medical care, or indirectly through lost productivity), governments will have to decide on the cost-benefit analysis of tackling it vs ignoring it.
Old Sep 8th 2020, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

So cases are now almost as high as the peak of lockdown, we're certainly banging in numbers that compete with just before and after the high of 998 in a day........yet we're being pushed to come back to the office even more and the city seems busier than ever.

Have we just given up?
Is it because of school tests? Although I imagine they're done and accounted for already
Is it because of tourism?
Is it because numbers are just rising?
Camp accommodation with cross infection and transmission plus the cultural demographic of multiple generational co habitation make this place an absolute hotbed mate . People have to take away the fear and learn to mitigate some of the risks.

You may get local lockdowns but this town wont be shutting its doors again , it's on life support now .

Old Sep 8th 2020, 5:47 am
Account Closed

I think it's something else. Back at the "peak", we were probably missing 50-80% or more of the cases, so the numbers in reality were at least double what we actually recorded and hence why the hospitals were rammed full. Now, testing is widespread, vulnerable people are shielding themselves and we're probably missing 10% or fewer of the cases, so the case counts are more accurate and hospitalisations are lower.

The remaining big issue to be addressed is whether Long Covid is really a thing, because if it is, and treating it is materially expensive (directly through medical care, or indirectly through lost productivity), governments will have to decide on the cost-benefit analysis of tackling it vs ignoring it.
I don't think there's even a debate on the cost-benefit analysis any more.

I also read that a lot of the cases in the UK (for example) at the moment are younger people, so hospitalisation is very low. Probably ties in with the lower numbers reported before as well as you say.

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Camp accommodation with cross infection and transmission plus the cultural demographic of multiple generational co habitation make this place an absolute hotbed mate . People have to take away the fear and learn to mitigate some of the risks.

You may get local lockdowns but this town wont be shutting its doors again , it's on life support now .
Local lockdowns, seems to be what the world is thinking. Look at the UK - some of those cultural demographics translate to where the local lockdowns have been happening.
Old Sep 8th 2020, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Average number of suicides per day in the U.K. : 18
Average number of covid deaths per day in September: 6
Average number of U.K. car crash deaths per day: 5

Old Sep 8th 2020, 7:32 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Average number of suicides per day in the U.K. : 18
Average number of covid deaths per day in September: 6
Average number of U.K. car crash deaths per day: 5
I'm convinced - ban suicide and car crashes and especially suicide by car crash
Old Sep 8th 2020, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

I don't think there's even a debate on the cost-benefit analysis any more.
I was talking about long covid (the issue that seems to affect some non-tiny % of people for months after the main illness has vanished). Agreed that on covid19, nobody cares as long as they can keep the hospitals relatively empty.

I also read that a lot of the cases in the UK (for example) at the moment are younger people, so hospitalisation is very low. Probably ties in with the lower numbers reported before as well as you say.
Yes - the interesting thing though is that in the UAE, the population is already young (avg age of 27 or something) so there's no room here for the death rates to go stay low relative to the May peak because the people who are catching the virus now can't be statistically much younger than the people who were catching it before (bar the shielding effect I mentioned above).
Old Sep 8th 2020, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I was talking about long covid (the issue that seems to affect some non-tiny % of people for months after the main illness has vanished). Agreed that on covid19, nobody cares as long as they can keep the hospitals relatively empty.

Yes - the interesting thing though is that in the UAE, the population is already young (avg age of 27 or something) so there's no room here for the death rates to go stay low relative to the May peak because the people who are catching the virus now can't be statistically much younger than the people who were catching it before (bar the shielding effect I mentioned above).
Unless we did kill of all the over 60s
Old Sep 8th 2020, 10:57 am
Account Closed

Ah sorry, I'm with you. I'm new to the 'long covid' bit and have just been reading an article on BBC about it. Yes, agree it needs to be worked out about how much of an effect it has and the cost of it.

Interesting thoughts on the population here. I suppose it's a fair point, we never saw HUGE death numbers did we.
Old Sep 8th 2020, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
I'm convinced - ban suicide and car crashes and especially suicide by car crash
It should be illegal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.