Post-Lockdown

Old Aug 19th 2020, 6:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Post-Lockdown

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I knew you would come around. The damage is now done, and the worst of it is that we don't even know the size of the economic problem, yet alone the solution.
I got pissed and decided that the there needs to be a reduction in old people anyway. When you're drunk it sounds fair and justifiable compared to pretty inhumane when you're sober.....but the fact is we can't put the world on pause and think it's all going to be OK in the long term.
Old Aug 19th 2020, 1:07 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp

I'm not anal about washing hands

An unfortunate turn of phrase

Glad things are manageable though.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 6:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I knew you would come around. The damage is now done, and the worst of it is that we don't even know the size of the economic problem, yet alone the solution.
Spoke to the old man about this last night as well. He's nearly 70 and whilst healthy-ish, he's overweight.
I think he said something along the lines of - the damage to the elderly has been done probably, they can't continue to pay people to do nothing and expect to survive with the debt it will create.

Fingers crossed for a vaccine early next year or something.

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
An unfortunate turn of phrase

Glad things are manageable though.
Of all the people to pop in and comment on that, you're not high on the list I'd have expected.
Old Aug 23rd 2020, 9:40 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

I was talking to a friend several months ago who works in UK banking, two things he said stuck with me - the first being that our children will be paying for the recovery, not just us.
Secondly, there were a lot of well known businesses surviving hand-to-mouth, the pandemic will finish them off (as we've seen). Good timing for those businesses who were clinging on by their fingernails, they can blame it all on COVID. Philip Green must be seething.
Old Aug 23rd 2020, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
I was talking to a friend several months ago who works in UK banking, two things he said stuck with me - the first being that our children will be paying for the recovery, not just us.
Secondly, there were a lot of well known businesses surviving hand-to-mouth, the pandemic will finish them off (as we've seen). Good timing for those businesses who were clinging on by their fingernails, they can blame it all on COVID. Philip Green must be seething.
I have a feeling the grandkids will be paying for this one.
Old Aug 24th 2020, 5:31 am
Account Closed

I have a feeling the grandkids will be paying for this one.
We're now at post WW2 levels of debt....which the final payment was made to the US in 2006.
Old Aug 24th 2020, 5:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

We're now at post WW2 levels of debt....which the final payment was made to the US in 2006.
and this time we don’t have a population boom to repay it. Which means we will have a combination of:
1. Austerity
2. immigration

Its going to be hard to maintain services and wages in this framework. Hopefully we can inflate the debt away, but that also screws the non-asset owning classes.
Old Aug 24th 2020, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

You're all doom and gloom of late...
Old Aug 24th 2020, 5:54 am
Account Closed

and this time we don’t have a population boom to repay it. Which means we will have a combination of:
1. Austerity
2. immigration

Its going to be hard to maintain services and wages in this framework. Hopefully we can inflate the debt away, but that also screws the non-asset owning classes.
In fairness, the last thing the world needs is a population boom.
Austerity never brought the debt down post 2008, well, it stabilised it but I'm sure it stayed really high. Guess more of it would go towards paying those bills and these.

I can't believe over 10% of working people are still on furlough at the moment. My mate was terrified at the start of it but then realised he had a 6 week paid holiday, where he was actually better off (no petrol, lunches, parking or childcare costs were more than the 20% reduction)....in fact, the same guy works in a specific area of retail that's really busy at the moment and just got paid a really decent bonus.

Anyway, it all only compounds the uncertainty of what the hell to do with money at the moment.
Old Aug 24th 2020, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by csdf
You're all doom and gloom of late...
Well, it's going to be very rough for a lot of people and we need to recognise that.
Old Aug 26th 2020, 11:13 am
Just Joined

Redddindxb is an unknown quantity at this point

Made redundant in June, the day after i left said company i received a a new offer that was much higher
Goodness knows how i managed that!
Old Aug 27th 2020, 8:50 am
Account Closed

Saudi's international flight ban is causing all sorts of grief. Time to live and let die.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Saudi's international flight ban is causing all sorts of grief. Time to live and let die.
very selfish of you scamp.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 10:15 am
Account Closed

very selfish of you scamp.
My not far off 70yr old, overweight Father even agrees.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

So now daily covid cases in the UAE are back to roughly double what they were when things started to ease off, do you think there will be a renewed curtailment of activities or are we over all that fuss and bother now? Abu Dhabi seems to be doubling down on making it difficult for people to visit from Dubai.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.