Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Pork Served in JBR Hotel

Pork Served in JBR Hotel

Old Feb 10th 2013, 1:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pork Served in JBR Hotel

Originally Posted by MataHari
really?
There are many things of Dutch origin that sit very well in the mouth, I am told....
Old Feb 10th 2013, 4:55 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
There are many things of Dutch origin that sit very well in the mouth, I am told....
if you were aiming for just plain ordinary creepy you have overshot the mark
Old Feb 10th 2013, 5:36 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
if you were aiming for just plain ordinary creepy you have overshot the mark
Meaning eyes, nose, hair????.....
Old Feb 12th 2013, 6:08 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nature Boy
Pig flesh is the closest thing in nature to human flesh
And you know this how?
Old Feb 12th 2013, 8:37 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
If you chose your cut carefully.... tenderloin or loin chop cuts, then pork is almost as healthy and low fat as skinless chicken breast

PORK
Average per 100g: 123 calories, 4g fat. Health rating: ****
Technically a red meat, lean pork is almost as low in fat as chicken. Escalopes contain 1.7 % fat compared with 1.1 % in chicken breasts. However, streaky spare ribs are much fattier at 13.5 pc. Pork has a lower proportion of artery-clogging saturates than lamb or beef but is not as high in the unsaturated type as chicken. Its zinc and iron content is intermediate between poultry and red meat.

CHICKEN
Average per 100g: 106 calories, 1.1g fat Health rating: ***
Cooked light meat is the lowest in fat, but grilled breast with the skin has triple the fat content. On the upside, the fat in chicken meat and skin is far less saturated than in red meats, and supplies a better proportion of healthier monounsaturates and polyunsaturates. The dark meat is a much better source of zinc and iron than white but supplies only about half the quantity of red meat.
Interesting comparison. I've always known pork can be a bit fatty but didn't realise it's actually lower in saturated fat than lamb or beef.

N.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 8:45 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
Oh come on. I love the Netherlands but of all its great contributions to humanity (and I'm sure I'll think of one if you give me a minute............. Johann Cruyff, Dennis Bergkamp - there's two!), cuisine is not among them. Most - make that all - Dutch people I know (which is hundreds) would heartily agree.

Being Irish I would say exactly the same about Irish food (and dancing - why do Brits and Yanks like that so much??). And the less said about British food, the better. Any wonder our countries have basically supplanted our dull and stodgy indigeneous diets with far more interesting and healthy foreign foods.
British food, and particularly English & Scottish food actually has a long history. The middle and upper classes, since Tudor times has been known for their love of seasoning and high quality ingredients - paying premium prices to import foriegn seasoning and chefs to train the locals. It was the industrial revolution that killed a lot of good country cooking when families moved to towns and worked all sorts of unholy hours. The kitchens of the rich have always enjoyed some of the best food in Europe.

As for Irish food -my Nan from Cork and could whip up a lovely stew plus she brewed her own beer (yes, she was the perfect woman) but even she said the food isn't that great and preferred a Sunday Roast or Italian food.

N.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
British food is great. Unfortunately, many British cooks are appalling.
That sums it up well.

The long hours needed for industrialisation killed the working class cuisine in Britain but it's back and better than ever. You only have to go to a supermarket to see the range of foods and quality on ingredients.

Certainly food in the UK is better than the UAE in my view. Most of the supermarkets here sell rubbish you couldn't give to a dog in England. Even Spinneys only barely makes the mark with say, Sainsbury's - and charges twice as much.

N.