British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Pork, don't say it out loud! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/pork-dont-say-out-loud-735478/)

the_red_sheep Oct 12th 2011 5:14 pm

Pork, don't say it out loud!

Masterchef Australia, great show, even if the series does last for ever. However, noticed tonight that when ever any one said 'pork' the sound was dipped. Really, this must be the most insane censorship ever.

It can be written on the wall in big fat letters in the supermarket, but don't go saying it out loud on TV that'd just be horrendously offensive. I'm surprised they didn't also pixelate it out of the picture!

Norm_uk Oct 12th 2011 6:48 pm

Re: Pork, don't say it out loud!

Originally Posted by abz_to_dbx (Post 9671422)
Masterchef Australia, great show, even if the series does last for ever. However, noticed tonight that when ever any one said 'pork' the sound was dipped. Really, this must be the most insane censorship ever.

It can be written on the wall in big fat letters in the supermarket, but don't go saying it out loud on TV that'd just be horrendously offensive. I'm surprised they didn't also pixelate it out of the picture!

Maybe they were worried about offending religiously observant Jews...it's know they abstain from pork, claim their religion is peaceful and are willing to prove it by threatening and killing people :sneaky:

Madness...utter madness. I'm going to make a bacon sandwich in protest. Don't expect this from the Aussies.

N.

hnd Oct 12th 2011 9:27 pm

We downloaded the entire series and are chugging our way through it. Most of it is interesting but we've put the master classes into our library to watch at a later date when we move to Oman. Please, if you know who won don't tell!

Have to say that Masterchef Australia, Junior Masterchef Australia and Masterchef New Zealand makes the original Masterchef (in whatever formula) in the UK look really tame.

In the latest (current) series of so-called Celebrity Masterchef it would seem that judge Greg Wallace has fallen in love with his co-judge John Torode. Whenever John Torode cooks one of his 'so-called' wonderful dishes Greg goes all doe eyed and John reciprocates with a "Diana" style head dipped, eyes up acknowledgement.

Ah well, as we all know "cooking doesn't get harder than this"!

cappuccino Oct 13th 2011 12:10 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 9671558)
Maybe they were worried about offending religiously observant Jews...it's know they abstain from pork, claim their religion is peaceful and are willing to prove it by threatening and killing people :sneaky:

Madness...utter madness. I'm going to make a bacon sandwich in protest. Don't expect this from the Aussies.

N.

:confused:

Kim67 Oct 13th 2011 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 9671558)

N.

We're not afraid of a little pork talk in public at all - we love our pork.

mentalist Oct 13th 2011 4:49 am

Food Network is one of our favourite TV channels but personally I hate those competition shows. Much prefer watching Bobby Chin, Gary Rhodes, Aarti Party and the like without all the histrionics.

seven seas Oct 15th 2011 4:54 am

That's amazing. Is it self-censored or did the network do it? How can one find out?