View Poll Results: Polygamy: would you or wouldn't you?
I'm a woman, and No
27.27%
I'm a woman, and Yes
0%
I'm a man, and No
50.00%
I'm a man, and Yes
22.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Polygamy

Old Jun 6th 2011, 1:58 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Polygamy

Ok, there are loads of unwritten caveats, but assuming that we're talking about one man taking up to four wives, he's got enough money and love to share around, and it were to happen in a society that accepts it, would you or wouldn't you enter into a polygamous marriage?

I think I can predict the outcome for the fairer sex, but not sure about us blokes.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 2:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Polygamy

Don't think I would to be honest.

Don't want to sound too wet but I expect my good lady to be only mine, so I would feel like a hypocrite
Old Jun 6th 2011, 2:43 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry, but polygamy is just legalised adultery. If a man can share his lurrrrve around, then why can't his wife/ wives? Why stop at an arbitrary 4? Why bother actually getting married in the first place?

You know, really, the only difference between that chap in the UK who fathered 11 children with 5 different women (or however many it was) and a man with 4 wives and loads of sprogs is a teensy slip of paper.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 2:49 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

How about if I throw into the mix a society where the number of men is severely depleted (through war, for example), such that there is a high number of women who could not marry, and the societal situation means that it is difficult for them to work and thereby support themselves?
Old Jun 6th 2011, 2:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
How about if I throw into the mix a society where the number of men is severely depleted (through war, for example), such that there is a high number of women who could not marry, and the societal situation means that it is difficult for them to work and thereby support themselves?
Did you have a vivid, post-apocalyptic, polygamous, hungarian orgy style dream last night?
Old Jun 6th 2011, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Can a woman not have multiple husbands- it actually makes more sense as a woman can multitask so can get more stuff done than one man, whereas a man has to foucs on one thing at a time (bless them)- so in fact a woman needs 4 men to get as much stuff done as one woman!
Old Jun 6th 2011, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Can a woman not have multiple husbands- it actually makes more sense as a woman can multitask so can get more stuff done than one man, whereas a man has to foucs on one thing at a time (bless them)- so in fact a woman needs 4 men to get as much stuff done as one woman!
Would this cut the -per man - nagging down by a factor of four, or would women be able to step up their game?
Old Jun 6th 2011, 3:23 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
well, if society can't support the population balance that exists - for whatever reason - then it should be allowed to correct itself.

So, in the case of your example, yes, women should be left unwed (ohhh, woe is us, pining away) which would result in fewer small mouths to feed, so that all the remaining hunter-gatherer males can make sure they (or the resources) are not overstretched (obviously modern woman can actually go to the supermarket just as well as any man). Or, you could see the very monogamous post-war baby booms that happened in Western Europe.

In reality, women are by no means helpless and don't keel over and starve if there's no man around to provide for her.

Besides, in a proper apocalypse situation, you'd definitely want fewer mouths to feed.

Polygamy really is just an excuse for some people to have a bit of fun.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 4:55 pm