Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Poll - Best Sporting Commentator Ever?

View Poll Results: The Best Sports Commentator?
John Motson - Football
7.69%
Barry Davies - Football
7.69%
Martin Tyler ( with Andy Gray ) - Football
0%
Brian Moore - Football
0%
Ray French - Rugby Union
0%
Eddie Waring - Rugby League / Wrestling
15.38%
Bill McLaren - Rugby Union
30.77%
Murray Walker - Formula 1
30.77%
Harry Carpenter - Boxing, Football
0%
Reg Gutteridge - Boxing
0%
Peter O'Sullivan - Horse Racing
7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Poll - Best Sporting Commentator Ever?

Old Jan 27th 2009, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Sky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud of
Default Re: Poll - Best Sporting Commentator Ever?

Originally Posted by The Dean
Sky, you are having a Murray-style off day.

Eddie Butler?? He's a clown..............

Miles Harrison and Stuart Barnes on Sky are outstanding.

And I'm voting for Barry Davies, who always told it how it was..... it was like listening to a (knowledgeable) mate in the pub.
Ha ha, ever read Butler he actually makes a lot of sense on rugby, maybe less so his commentating, yes Barnes and Harrison are a good team too, pit bull always says it how her sees it and like Phil Matthews, although he is technically a summariser...
Old Jan 27th 2009, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

In the early days of Sky, I thought Martin Tyler and Andy Gray were great together, before they started farting around with all sorts of technology.

But,my favourites were Eddie Waring and Bill McLaren. The Five Nations as it was then,was always a superb occasion with Bill Mc commentating. Remember him describing Billy Beaumont as a "parambulating lighthouse", I think in the Grand Slam year of 1980.

Another great memory was listening to Eddie. Can't remember the two teams involved,but a huge fight broke out. And in rugby in those days, the referee just used to step aside and let them battle it out. Blood,broken broken noses, bits of teeth on pitch,fists flailing, players lying around on the grass....and Eddie's comment?

" Well,errr, boys will be boys"... classic.

Dickie Davies I always remember as an anchorman on World of Sport, don't ever recall him as a commentator?
Old Jan 27th 2009, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
David Vine (RIP) ?

Dickie Davies ?
At least no-one has yet mentioned David Icke? Remember him?

Any one for David Coleman? Was watching the Olympics live ( 1976? ) , describing the Cuban sprinter Juantarino bursting into a lead " he opens his legs and shows his class "

Of course, was the basis of Private Eye's commentators blunders in Colemanballs.

Great memories.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
After reading Bangleman's posting re the sad death of Reg Gutteridge, I thought - well, who do we consider to be the best sporting commentator ever?

These are the ones I thought of, off the top of my head and have tried to cover most sports I used to watch on the telly back home.

John Motson
Barry Davies
Martin Tyler
Brian Moore
Harry Carpenter
Reg Gutteridge
Bill McLaren
Ray French
Eddie Waring
Murray Walker
Peter O'Sullivan
Eddie Waring wrestling?? Harry Carpenter football??

You sure about that??

And by the way................. I'm sending MH round to spank you - Ray French rugby UNION????? PLeeeeeease................
Old Jan 27th 2009, 11:54 am
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point

My hubby says that Brian Johnstone (sp) was the best sports commentator ever. Anyone who could keep the listener full entertained while the rain was pouring down at a dull and rainy Lords deserves recognition.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shadya
My hubby says that Brian Johnstone (sp) was the best sports commentator ever. Anyone who could keep the listener full entertained while the rain was pouring down at a dull and rainy Lords deserves recognition.
I can imagine you, Shadya, as a sports commentator............

"My hubby says Giggs passes to Scholes who is having a great game according to my hubby. Now he tells me Scholes has passed it out to Ronaldo who my hubby says is playing wide on the right. My hubby says he crosses it, but my hubby quickly adds that Berbatov gets his head to it but he also tells me his header is blocked......... but he says it falls to Rooney who, according to my hubby, scores!!! I'm told by my hubby it's 1-0 to United!!"
Old Jan 27th 2009, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond repute

"My hubby says Giggs passes to Scholes who is having a great game according to my hubby. Now he tells me Scholes has passed it out to Ronaldo who my hubby says is playing wide on the right. My hubby says he crosses it, but my hubby quickly adds that Berbatov gets his head to it but he also tells me his header is blocked......... but he says it falls to Rooney who, according to my hubby, scores!!! I'm told by my hubby it's 1-0 to United!!"
Sorry Dean, can't give karma to anyone for some reason. Consider it done!
Old Jan 27th 2009, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Old Jan 27th 2009, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Eddie Waring wrestling?? Harry Carpenter football??

You sure about that??

And by the way................. I'm sending MH round to spank you - Ray French rugby UNION????? PLeeeeeease................
Err, no not sure about anything. You're just sour after that 97th min penalty....
Old Jan 29th 2009, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Sky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud of

When do we know who won?