Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Police recover 45kg of gold robbed from Dubai hotel

Police recover 45kg of gold robbed from Dubai hotel

Old Jan 3rd 2013, 9:39 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Police recover 45kg of gold robbed from Dubai hotel

"The victim was in the UAE with two other businessmen who were together carrying 210 kilogrammes of gold. "

http://www.emirates247.com/crime/loc...01-02-1.489591
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police recover 45kg of gold robbed from Dubai hotel

How did they get thru customs with that amount of gold - or if they brought it in Dubai how were they going to get it out ? Smells fishy
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 9:48 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't sound dodgy carrying around that amount of gold; not at all...

Old Jan 3rd 2013, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

That must be some bag, able to hold 45kgs of anything! .
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

I was asked to write the website content for a venture capital company here, which was just launching. They thought they had 2 billion USD (or something like that) to play with but had no history and that amount put them in the top 50 in the world (definitely). I can't really remember the true facts but at the time I had researched it all and the stink of fish that came of their claims was pungent.

There is a lot of weird stuff that goes on, and a lot of it is so blatant that it takes your breath away. These guys were Iranian, which surprised me.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 11:21 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Travelled back from Riyadh to Heathrow a long time ago. Noticed a guy in the airport who had two briefcases in a luggage trolley, and seemed to be struggling with the weight. Same guy was in first class on my plane, with both briefcases strapped in on the seat next to him.

I don't think there's a ban on moving gold around, just that declarations need to be made.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 7:47 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

I think your allowed to buy any amount of gold here and no questions asked when you take it out.
What you do with it later wherever you land is not their problem
I might be wrong tho