British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Pokemon Go (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/pokemon-go-880574/)

IKnowNothing Jul 18th 2016 10:46 am

Re: Pokemon Go

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12005299)
Google play store? Is that for Android? I don't understand those things.

Dear god. You think that app is the only one? Seriously? You don't think Apple / other operating software developers don't have and abuse this power either?

You need to buy a Nokia 3310 and use post not email.

Why would an app want your full contact list and access to your personal email account?

Answer me that. Why?

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 18th 2016 11:05 am

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 12005301)
Why would an app want your full contact list and access to your personal email account?

Answer me that. Why?

It's since rectified that and none of that information was harvested.

We recently discovered that the Pokémon Go account creation process on iOS erroneously requests full access permission for the user's Google account. However, Pokémon Go only accesses basic Google profile information (specifically, your user ID and e-mail address) and no other Google account information is or has been accessed or collected. Once we became aware of this error, we began working on a client-side fix to request permission for only basic Google account information, in line with the data we actually access. Google has verified that no other information has been received or accessed by Pokémon Go or Niantic. Google will soon reduce Pokémon Go's permission to only the basic profile data that Pokémon Go needs, and users do not need to take any actions themselves.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 18th 2016 11:06 am

In fact, just to be clear, I've checked my Google security stuff.

iOS and OS X have access to my Gmail, Calendar, Contacts, Hangouts (Whatever that is) and basic account info.

That's 5x as many things as Pokemon go. Which has even less than Uefa.com who I did fantasy football through.

So there we have it. Panic over. Worry more about your phone and macbook than an app.

iggle Jul 18th 2016 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12005311)
Hangouts (Whatever that is)

Hangouts is a mix between Whatsap, Outlook and Skype. I worked for Google, hangout was and is an awesome product IF everyone uses (and yes the only products we could use were Googles, gmail, gdocs, hangout). But no one uses hangout so its worthless.

DXBtoDOH Jul 19th 2016 5:50 am

Just a curious question based on a few articles I'm reading about Pokemon Go.

Apparently the game has people running around chasing after Pokemon.

How does that work? Why would the game send you into someone's private garden or a random spot anywhere on the streets or in malls to capture a Pokemon?

IKnowNothing Jul 19th 2016 5:58 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12006134)

How does that work? Why would the game send you into someone's private garden or a random spot anywhere on the streets or in malls to capture a Pokemon?

I'm wearing a tin foil hat at the minute....

Because it's a CIA operation and they're wanting your personal information where you go, what you do, so they can sell it, or give it to people they want to....

iggle Jul 19th 2016 6:01 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12006134)

The game doesn't send you anywhere. The pokemon are randomly doted around the world (which is linked to the GPS Map). I think the more users/mobile phones link to more chances of pokemon being there.

I also think they try to have these areas links to main attractions, like parks or recognizable areas.

I've not played or downloaded it, just what i've read. Tbh in UAE (in this heat) the game is just impracticable

IKnowNothing Jul 19th 2016 6:02 am

The maker of the app? Niantic Labs. Never heard of them? That’s because until last year they were an internal start-up of none other than Google. Even now Google remains one of Niantic’s major backers. Niantic was founded by John Hanke, who also founded Keyhole, Inc., the mapping company which was created with seed money from In-Q-Tel, the CIA’s venture capital arm, and which was eventually rolled into Google Maps.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 19th 2016 6:04 am

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 12006141)
The maker of the app? Niantic Labs. Never heard of them? That’s because until last year they were an internal start-up of none other than Google. Even now Google remains one of Niantic’s major backers. Niantic was founded by John Hanke, who also founded Keyhole, Inc., the mapping company which was created with seed money from In-Q-Tel, the CIA’s venture capital arm, and which was eventually rolled into Google Maps.

I've said it before. Buy a 3310 and get off the internet.

IKnowNothing Jul 19th 2016 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12006143)
I've said it before. Buy a 3310 and get off the internet.

if you knew what i really do..... You'd live in a hut. In the middle of nowhere, totally off the grid, hunting rabbits.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 19th 2016 6:30 am

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 12006150)
if you knew what i really do..... You'd live in a hut. In the middle of nowhere, totally off the grid, hunting rabbits.

It doesn't appeal to me thanks. I'm sure that most governments could get access to my shit quite quickly and with consummate ease. Does it bother me? Not greatly. It's a fact of life and to enjoy the benefits of being connected to people around the world, to using things like facebook, skype, emails etc I pay a price of snooping from governments and whoever else.

Is it the end of the world if you're doing no wrong?

Yes, I'll be upset if someone wants to hack into my accounts and take all my cash but who wouldn't be upset with that?

Big_Show Jul 19th 2016 7:40 am

Originally Posted by iggle (Post 12006140)
The game doesn't send you anywhere. The pokemon are randomly doted around the world (which is linked to the GPS Map). I think the more users/mobile phones link to more chances of pokemon being there.

I also think they try to have these areas links to main attractions, like parks or recognizable areas.

I've not played or downloaded it, just what i've read. Tbh in UAE (in this heat) the game is just impracticable

I was just in New York when it came out and there were loads of these all over Manhattan. Landmarks, shops, churches, police stations, all kind of things. Especially in Central Park, and I saw loads of people wandering looking for them.

From what I've seen back here, they seem to be linked to mosques. People had best be a bit careful...

mikelincs Jul 19th 2016 8:09 am

Originally Posted by iggle (Post 12006140)

From what I've heard, churches, either current or old one which are now private houses, are favoured as sites for Pokemon Gyms, even Westboro Baptist church is included..:rofl:

Maxima Jul 19th 2016 10:43 am

What I find very freaky is the "people you may know" function in FB ... from what I knew it would include people who had common friends with you or searched for you by name or had some connection to the place you studied/worked ....

So few months back, I noticed some names pop up which would not fall under those in any way ..

1) My landlord from 5 years back
2) The guard at a tower I stayed in few years back, and he did not know my name ..... very spooky ....
3) A guy who I had emailed from my work email a few times, weird considering I never ever get any suggested friends from my workplace ...

iggle Jul 19th 2016 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Maxima (Post 12006284)
What I find very freaky is the "people you may know" function in FB ... from what I knew it would include people who had common friends with you or searched for you by name or had some connection to the place you studied/worked ....

So few months back, I noticed some names pop up which would not fall under those in any way ..

1) My landlord from 5 years back
2) The guard at a tower I stayed in few years back, and he did not know my name ..... very spooky ....
3) A guy who I had emailed from my work email a few times, weird considering I never ever get any suggested friends from my workplace ...

FB matched me with my ex boss Matt, or as he's called and dressed outside of work Sarah Saunders! Full on Tranny :eek::eek::eek::eek: