British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   podcasts (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/podcasts-853652/)

Millhouse Mar 2nd 2015 6:16 am

podcasts

Now that I have to endure seemingly hours of traffic each day, I've taken to downloading podcasts.

I'm loving the 1990s' Old Skool house stuff, the chilled house beats etc. But I also want to do some talking standup comedy for the drive home.

Any recommendations of podcasts that are free in the apple store?

DustyBits Mar 2nd 2015 10:03 am

Re: podcasts

"No such thing as a fish" is brilliant. It's from the group of QI researchers who discuss weird facts. Intellectual comedy at its best.

"Friday Night Comedy Show" from Radio 4 is also good for a laugh.

Both free.

DB

norsk Mar 2nd 2015 4:17 pm

Freakonomics is brilliant and has been my favourite podcast for years.

The Bugle is supposed to be funny (if you like John Oliver, Stephen Colbert style humour) and so is WTF with Marc Maron, but I haven't personally listened to either of these.

flares Mar 2nd 2015 9:45 pm

Fighting talk is still enjoyable.

Millhouse Mar 3rd 2015 4:04 am

Originally Posted by DustyBits (Post 11580569)
"No such thing as a fish" is brilliant. It's from the group of QI researchers who discuss weird facts. Intellectual comedy at its best.

"Friday Night Comedy Show" from Radio 4 is also good for a laugh.

Both free.

DB

Thank you. I listened to No such thing last night. Was great.

Will check out the other one

Millhouse Mar 3rd 2015 4:06 am

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 11580864)
Freakonomics is brilliant and has been my favourite podcast for years.

ah, maybe I need to try a few more. I've listened to two now and it just didn't grab me as much as I thought it would. But then again, an interview with the World Bank president was never going to set the world on fire.

Meow Mar 3rd 2015 8:09 am

Heaps of podcasts on BBC R4 and R$ Extra. You should also be able to set up regular downloads to itunes of your favourite shows

BBC - Podcasts and Downloads

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 4th 2015 3:48 am

Originally Posted by flares (Post 11581187)
Fighting talk is still enjoyable.

I second this.

Also, I know you don't like football so try; The Football Ramble. At first you think they're a bunch of pricks, but they grow on you and they're very funny.

Thanks to others for the suggestions. My commute has changed from 30mins in the morning and 40-70mins in the evening to....well, down one lift. About 150 paces to the next building, up a lift in there. ****ING YES!

the_red_sheep Mar 8th 2015 8:05 am

The podcast of Frank Skinner’s Absolute Radio show is my personal favourite. You can, I think, still get all the podcasts of Dave Gorman’s now deceased Absolute Radio show which are very funny. There’s also one of Danny Baker’s radio show which is decent. The Richard Herring Live at Leicester St Theatre and his Edinburgh Fringe podcasts are very good also.

For music I like the If There is Hell Below, All Back and No Front, IAX, Hospital Records and the Line of Best Fit. Some are regular, some less so.

Millhouse Mar 8th 2015 8:19 am

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep (Post 11586010)
The podcast of Frank Skinner’s Absolute Radio show is my personal favourite. You can, I think, still get all the podcasts of Dave Gorman’s now deceased Absolute Radio show which are very funny. There’s also one of Danny Baker’s radio show which is decent. The Richard Herring Live at Leicester St Theatre and his Edinburgh Fringe podcasts are very good also.

For music I like the If There is Hell Below, All Back and No Front, IAX, Hospital Records and the Line of Best Fit. Some are regular, some less so.

I did find Dave Gorman. He is brilliant.