Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Pls recommend me a sat nav

Pls recommend me a sat nav

Old Mar 20th 2012, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pls recommend me a sat nav

OK, so the sat nav I have is a Garmin Nuvi. I bought it about 2 years ago in the US in Target for about 50 dollars. I downloaded the UAE maps when I got back, and have been using it ever since. However, since then, Dubai has changed and the routes that the sat nav tells me to take often bear little resemblance to the reality.

I know that I could probably download some new maps, but I think I need a new one. Maybe one that's a bit better than the one I have. Also, I think it has an inherent problem, as there have been a few instances where it doesn't know where we are, and one incident where the distance between 'Arabian Ranches' and 'home [Tecom]' was 198 km.

I would really appreciate some recommendations.

Thanks.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Pls recommend me a sat nav

Get an iphone.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paracletus View Post
Get an iphone.
Thanks, but I don't really want an iPhone. I need to be able to see the map as I am driving.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Get an iPhone and an iPhone holder for your car.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by csdf View Post
Get an iPhone and an iPhone holder for your car.
What, even if I don't need a phone? I'd only be using it for the sat nav.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla View Post
OK, so the sat nav I have is a Garmin Nuvi. I bought it about 2 years ago in the US in Target for about 50 dollars. I downloaded the UAE maps when I got back, and have been using it ever since. However, since then, Dubai has changed and the routes that the sat nav tells me to take often bear little resemblance to the reality.

I know that I could probably download some new maps, but I think I need a new one. Maybe one that's a bit better than the one I have. Also, I think it has an inherent problem, as there have been a few instances where it doesn't know where we are, and one incident where the distance between 'Arabian Ranches' and 'home [Tecom]' was 198 km.

I would really appreciate some recommendations.

Thanks.
Did you try breathalysing the sat nav?
Old Mar 20th 2012, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Dean View Post
Did you try breathalysing the sat nav?
Old Mar 20th 2012, 8:52 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, but I don't really want an iPhone. I need to be able to see the map as I am driving.
I used to have a Nokia phone that had Garmin XT installed on it and it worked very well as a sat nav, same as the stand alone Garmin unit but you had it on your phone.
So maybe you could download something like this to your phone.

otherwise I'd stick with Garmin, had a tomtom (name?) one before and it wasn't great, lots of U-turns and confusing directions.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

OK, thanks Weasel.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Robajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud of

All the Nokia smartphones these days come with reasonable sat nav built in. I'd recommend one if it wasn't for the fact that the rest of the Nokia experience is so teeth grindingly awful these days....

You could try gpsunderground and see if you can get some updated maps there...
Old Mar 20th 2012, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

I'm no fan boy, but Iphone just goes of google maps, updates in real time quite smoothly. Why have a camera, phone and sat nav and coffee maker as separate items when it could be condensed into one? Makes no sense.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 10:11 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Dont entirely understand why you need one in UAE however, if you're going to get one....

get a Garmin.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

So, can someone with a newish Garmin tell me if things like all the individual streets in the Springs and Arabian Ranches for example, would show up?

Thanks.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Shameless bump...
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

Robajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud of

So, can someone with a newish Garmin tell me if things like all the individual streets in the Springs and Arabian Ranches for example, would show up?

Thanks.
Tried asking these guys?

http://www.garmin.com/us/support/contact/

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.