Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Places to go after Dubai

Places to go after Dubai

Old Dec 29th 2010, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Places to go after Dubai

KL towards the end of 2012, Houston for a few years after that, then down to Brazil
Old Dec 29th 2010, 7:49 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I like Oman I have to say, can you retire there, what about visa's etc?
Visas are available on freehold properties in Integrated Tourism Developments (ie The Wave at Seeb). ITDs have to have something like 900 hotel rooms in addition to the residences. Once owners get their Title Deeds they can get a renewable (as long as you own the property) two-year residence visa from the ROP for around 500dhs.

HM passed this decree something like 3 years' ago and it passed into law something like 2 years' ago.

We're not wearing rose-tinted glasses or anything, but these laws actually appear to mean something in Oman. Perhaps because they're actually debated and fully considered before any announcements are made? If things change once we get there then we'll just deal with it and, if necessary, move on.

Life's an adventure after all ...
Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:52 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brains1983
KL towards the end of 2012, Houston for a few years after that, then down to Brazil
But I thought the world as we know it was going to end in 2012...if not, I may be up shit creek without a paddle, monetarily speaking.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 11:19 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

I'd actually expected to be coming back to the UK (and hence suddenly getting worried about tax issues) but the missus has decided she doesn't want to stay in the UK after finishing her studies, so now no idea.

Possibly back to Korea. I thought after I left Singapore last time I'd never go back - don't believe anyone who says SingTel and StarHub are more efficient than Etisalat and Du! - but now I'd seriously consider it. HK too but I think I'd go stir crazy there.

I would love to go to the US, but I don't fancy them having a fondle down my pants every time I fly anywhere.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

We said we'd do two years in the Middle East then move on. Seven years later still here.[/QUOTE]

You may laugh, but that is what I said 25 years ago! However looking forward to retiring elsewhere soon.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 11:39 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
We said we'd do two years in the Middle East then move on. Seven years later still here.

You may laugh, but that is what I said 25 years ago! However looking forward to retiring elsewhere soon.[/QUOTE]

where will you retire Jim?
Old Dec 29th 2010, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
But I thought the world as we know it was going to end in 2012...if not, I may be up shit creek without a paddle, monetarily speaking.
Yeah, but it's only 1432, so a long time to go yet!
Old Dec 29th 2010, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Fascinating thread, and I'm very surprised that so many people seem to have definite ideas about their future plans. Events can change things rapidly and radically........... what if that Iran thing kicks off (see other thread about evacuation)?

I have no idea where I am going next, simply because I will go where a challenge and a decent salary fall into my lap, and I don't know where that will be. I suspect it will be in this region (all of my clients and contacts are here), quite possibly a fifth tour of duty in the Magic Kingdom. No plans at present to leave Dubai though, but my line of work is notoriously transient and fickle.

One word of advice - those of you who (like me) are getting uncomfortably close to retirement age (although I'm not planning on retiring at any particular age) should attempt to get to where you wish to retire several years before you do so. Why should a community accept you as a newcomer if you aren't going to 'contribute' to the local economy?

If I was planning to retire at, say, 60 I'd make sure I went to live there by the time I was 55, and spend my last working years there.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
You may laugh, but that is what I said 25 years ago! However looking forward to retiring elsewhere soon.
where will you retire Jim?[/QUOTE]
Malaysia and China I think!
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:04 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Fascinating thread, and I'm very surprised that so many people seem to have definite ideas about their future plans. Events can change things rapidly and radically........... what if that Iran thing kicks off (see other thread about evacuation)?

I have no idea where I am going next, simply because I will go where a challenge and a decent salary fall into my lap, and I don't know where that will be. I suspect it will be in this region (all of my clients and contacts are here), quite possibly a fifth tour of duty in the Magic Kingdom. No plans at present to leave Dubai though, but my line of work is notoriously transient and fickle.

One word of advice - those of you who (like me) are getting uncomfortably close to retirement age (although I'm not planning on retiring at any particular age) should attempt to get to where you wish to retire several years before you do so. Why should a community accept you as a newcomer if you aren't going to 'contribute' to the local economy?

If I was planning to retire at, say, 60 I'd make sure I went to live there by the time I was 55, and spend my last working years there.
Interesting ... you say one should go where you wish to retire some years before you do retire as:

Why should a community accept you as a newcomer if you aren't going to 'contribute' to the local economy?

How do we as retired people not contribute to the economy? We don't take jobs from Emiratis therefore we don't reduce the job pool. We pay our housing fees, DEWA bills, maintenance bills, car registration fees, visa fees, etc etc. We live here and have to buy our groceries, petrol, etc here. And we bought our home (albeit in 2003). How do we not contribute to the local economy?
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

You're planning on retiring in the UAE???

You're insane - but then yes, you are proving my point. You will retire in a place where you are already part of the community.

Would you retire here if you had worked all your life in another country? Me neither.

That was my point.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:11 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

Dean, don't think you've got it. Yes, we're here in the UAE (Dubai) at the moment but will be moving to Oman in 2nd quarter 2011 (in shÁllah) and are more than aware that things could/may be/probably will be equally as exasperating as they are in the UAE but the point is that we're well aware of what could await us and we're prepared to deal with it.

And as we've said before, we're retired, don't have children so if we **** up we've only ourselves to blame and we can move on somewhere else.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 3:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hnd
Interesting ... you say one should go where you wish to retire some years before you do retire as:

Why should a community accept you as a newcomer if you aren't going to 'contribute' to the local economy?

How do we as retired people not contribute to the economy? We don't take jobs from Emiratis therefore we don't reduce the job pool. We pay our housing fees, DEWA bills, maintenance bills, car registration fees, visa fees, etc etc. We live here and have to buy our groceries, petrol, etc here. And we bought our home (albeit in 2003). How do we not contribute to the local economy?
DEWA is an interesting point... as high as those bills are they are still below the government's cost of production...
Old Dec 30th 2010, 4:22 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

I have some friends who have worked in Dubai most of their lives and have retired happily to Cyprus. May be an option to consider.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
I have some friends who have worked in Dubai most of their lives and have retired happily to Cyprus. May be an option to consider.
Seems a well worn path that one. I know a couple who have done that and one considering it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.