Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Places to go after Dubai

Places to go after Dubai

Old Dec 28th 2010, 5:00 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Places to go after Dubai

I'm planning on leaving in about a year or 18 months, Dubai is great - brilliant weather, loads of things to do and amazing places to see and above all a great way of life.

Saying that if it wasn't for the sun and tax free salary there's no way on earth I'd be here, I mean, who would right?

So we're thinking ahead and planning on the next move - Oz is amazing but too far away from home and family, so can anyone suggest anyone good to go and live and work? Places they have been?

Mrs Spugsy quite likes Singapore, I know people in Hong Kong who are happy and also a few in Kula Lumpur.

Basically I want somewhere that is more relaxed than Dubai (After my run in with the police I've come to realise that this country isn't for me), not aggresively religious, low or even tax free and not the other side of the world.

Any suggestions?

Thanks all....
Old Dec 28th 2010, 5:18 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Places to go after Dubai

Originally Posted by Spugsy
I'm planning on leaving in about a year or 18 months, Dubai is great - brilliant weather, loads of things to do and amazing places to see and above all a great way of life.

Saying that if it wasn't for the sun and tax free salary there's no way on earth I'd be here, I mean, who would right?

So we're thinking ahead and planning on the next move - Oz is amazing but too far away from home and family, so can anyone suggest anyone good to go and live and work? Places they have been?

Mrs Spugsy quite likes Singapore, I know people in Hong Kong who are happy and also a few in Kula Lumpur.

Basically I want somewhere that is more relaxed than Dubai (After my run in with the police I've come to realise that this country isn't for me), not aggresively religious, low or even tax free and not the other side of the world.

Any suggestions?

Thanks all....
I've not lived there, but after a few visits Singapore is definitely somewhere I'd consider.

The equation of language / job prospects / visa likelihood / proximity to home etc is a tricky one. Visas probably rules out Aus and US for many...
Old Dec 28th 2010, 5:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

For me I'm thinking either Hong Kong, New York or home. Hong Kong/China would be the best move for my career finance wise and I have a couple of companies who have already approached me for work - but as much as I love Hong Kong im not sure if I want to live there- hmm not sure. New York for me would be amazing - there is design work but much more competitive so much less paid and an expensive city so would be for the experience more than anything. Or home- undecided as to go back to freelancing- lcukily al my old clients are eager to have me back plus a few more on the design side of it. Am also thinking about starting my own knicker business- keeping an eye on the market at the moment- so basically Im undecided so will be staying here until I know exactly where I want to go next.

I do love Singapore- and a lot of opportunities there at the moment ( well not in my line of work but this is what i hear). Australia would be on my list as well- its not that much further than Hong kong really.

Alternatively cash in on the crash in Ireland and go and live a modest life with the nearest irish hunk I can find!
Old Dec 28th 2010, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Any suggestions?

Thanks all....
i would defo want to go to hong kong...my brother has lived there for about 13 years now and it's amazing, the life there is great, service is fab, and things just get done...that said, it's phenomenally expensive to rent somewhere decent...

i wouldn't want to live in singapore, it's too clinical for me and i'd get bored i think...

ahhh...and if you're looking for tax-free, then there's always the cayman islands...

MM, xx
Old Dec 28th 2010, 8:09 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
I've not lived there, but after a few visits Singapore is definitely somewhere I'd consider.

The equation of language / job prospects / visa likelihood / proximity to home etc is a tricky one. Visas probably rules out Aus and US for many...
Yeah think we're going to do a mini holiday this year taking in places we may fancy moving to, Singapore will be amongst them.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 8:10 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by kittycat1
For me I'm thinking either Hong Kong, New York or home. Hong Kong/China would be the best move for my career finance wise and I have a couple of companies who have already approached me for work - but as much as I love Hong Kong im not sure if I want to live there- hmm not sure. New York for me would be amazing - there is design work but much more competitive so much less paid and an expensive city so would be for the experience more than anything. Or home- undecided as to go back to freelancing- lcukily al my old clients are eager to have me back plus a few more on the design side of it. Am also thinking about starting my own knicker business- keeping an eye on the market at the moment- so basically Im undecided so will be staying here until I know exactly where I want to go next.

I do love Singapore- and a lot of opportunities there at the moment ( well not in my line of work but this is what i hear). Australia would be on my list as well- its not that much further than Hong kong really.

Alternatively cash in on the crash in Ireland and go and live a modest life with the nearest irish hunk I can find!
Aye not fancying the US much to be honest, would love to visit though. Ireland is madness and Oz just too far, I have a 2 year old nephew an my dad is nealty 80 now, still in good health but I'd hate to miss the little one growing up and be worried if I couldn't get home if anything happened to my dad.

I was in HK for 2 days and wasn't keen but will give it another go, kepy hitting my head in bamboo scaffolding everywhere.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 8:12 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
i would defo want to go to hong kong...my brother has lived there for about 13 years now and it's amazing, the life there is great, service is fab, and things just get done...that said, it's phenomenally expensive to rent somewhere decent...

i wouldn't want to live in singapore, it's too clinical for me and i'd get bored i think...

ahhh...and if you're looking for tax-free, then there's always the cayman islands...

MM, xx
Can you get by on English? does he speak any chinese?

Yeah a little island somewhere would be good, in years to come we're thinking of opening a little B&B somewhere like in Sri Lanka, me cooking and doing design work in there and the missus running the place,we found some great places in Unawatunah and would love to do that - but thats decades off I guess.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 8:12 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Aye not fancying the US much to be honest, would love to visit though. Ireland is madness and Oz just too far, I have a 2 year old nephew an my dad is nealty 80 now, still in good health but I'd hate to miss the little one growing up and be worried if I couldn't get home if anything happened to my dad.

I was in HK for 2 days and wasn't keen but will give it another go, kepy hitting my head in bamboo scaffolding everywhere.
It rather depends on where you can get work really as well, it's not as easy as it used to be. I shall miss you both
Old Dec 28th 2010, 8:13 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
It rather depends on where you can get work really as well, it's not as easy as it used to be. I shall miss you both
We should both get work anywhere really. And aye it won't be for a year minimum.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 8:13 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

We should both get work anywhere really. And aye it won't be for a year minimum.
I know
Old Dec 28th 2010, 8:14 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1

Have a word with ITP subscriptions. I know we're doing a Lingerie trade magazine these days, but it's only for the British market. They definitely get a couple of copies sent here. You might be able to nab one of them if you're lucky. Might help
Old Dec 28th 2010, 8:17 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
Have a word with ITP subscriptions. I know we're doing a Lingerie trade magazine these days, but it's only for the British market. They definitely get a couple of copies sent here. You might be able to nab one of them if you're lucky. Might help
you work with ITP?
Old Dec 28th 2010, 8:34 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
you work with ITP?
Shhhhhhh! Keep it down.

Yes, I do.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Whats the lingerie mag fluffy?
Old Dec 28th 2010, 8:41 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
Shhhhhhh! Keep it down.

Yes, I do.
I worked for them until a few months ago, designing the mags, it was good there. ALthough they pay buttons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.